Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 May 2008 (Tuesday) 19:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a good Walkaround lens

hy0ii
305 posts
Joined May 2008

May 20, 2008 19:49 |  #1

Hello everyone,

This will be my first SLR camera, I just recently purchased a XTi body and am looking for a lens to go with it.

I have been told about the 28-105, 28-135 IS, 17-85 and Sigma 10-20mm. I'm a big fan of the wide angle and was also thinking about just getting a regular 18-55 kit lens and instead spend money on a good wide.

Im going to england this year with some friends and would like to grab some nice shots of the usual tourist attractions such as the Eye and Tower. lol I think my budget maxes out at 400-500ish. and I would just like to know your opinions on lenses at this range. I also plan on keeping this lens and not trading it off anytime soon since i am an incoming college student.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing responses from each and everyone of you.

Canon 5Dmkii | Canon 7D | Canon 35L | Canon 135L

sponsored links
iamcanonman
38 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 20, 2008 20:14 |  #2

I like the 28-105, and I think a good combination would the Sigma 10-20mm, and the 28-105, but that might be a bit too much for your budget.

supergoat
181 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 20, 2008 20:18 |  #3

I'm a giant fan of my Sigma 18-200 OS. It's a fantastic walkaround lens. Not too heavy, good range, Optical Stabilization and good IQ.

Canon 50D | 430exII Speedlite
Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX HSM

Thursday
77 posts
Joined May 2008

May 20, 2008 20:31 |  #4

I've also been lookin for a nice walkaround lense and in a perfect world I would be able to afford a EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM but since I can't i've fallen towards the Sigma 18-200 OS or the sigma 24-70.

My Gear
flickr (external link)

hy0ii
THREAD ­ STARTER
305 posts
Joined May 2008

May 20, 2008 21:06 |  #5

i dont really know the potential of any lens. so all i have to go on is your words. heh

Reaperman
473 posts
Joined May 2007

May 21, 2008 10:09 |  #6

hy0ii wrote in post #5564581 (external link)
i dont really know the potential of any lens. so all i have to go on is your words. heh

Hi. The Canon 28-105 (f3.5) version is a quality lens and I use it for my walkabout lens. It gets plenty of use as it's range is good. As I live in London I can assure you that shots of the London eye are perfectly assessable with this lens. London isn't as big as many people believe... that is everything is fairly close but the city is spread out over a large area. For example a view across the River Thames is no great distance. And architectural shots of some of our buildings, well you will find it difficult moving too far back from the building.

Westminster Abbey can be viewed from many vantage points (particularly the bridge) and you can get right up close for that dramatic shot up 'Big Bens' tower. If you get a chance book a 'Duck bus' ride.(I kid you not). Its an amphibious boat that drives around London then out on to the Thames. Great for shots on the Thames of Westminster Abbey etc. The Tower of London is a difficult one though....as lots to shoot at ground level and you can use up a memory card here alone. A lot of places don't allow Flash.... so watch out unless you want to be locked up in the Tower.

London is a great city, one of the oldest for sure. You will probably run out of Memory cards long before it is time for you to go home. The lens I mentioned is definitely suitable for the city or the more expensive Canon 28-135 IS is also ideal. They both come with petal shape lens hoods. I would suggest some filters though. Perhaps the P series for some grads as the light in London is exceptional.

Either will suit you well as will many suggested here on this Post. If at all possible have a look at them and try them if possible at your local store.

PS Go to the British Museum.

In the mean time enjoy London.

All the best.
:lol:Reaperman

hy0ii
THREAD ­ STARTER
305 posts
Joined May 2008

May 21, 2008 22:34 as a reply to  @ Reaperman's post |  #7

Thank you Reaperman for the well written response. I will take your thoughts into much consideration. I think i've got to make a list of things to visit while Im over there. =)

euge
71 posts
Joined May 2008

May 21, 2008 23:55 |  #8

i love my canon 28-135 IS !!!
highly recommend

50d & 300d / Sigma 24-70 2.8 / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / 430EX / Sto-Fen Bounce / Dakine Backpack

WTB: Sigma 10-20

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 22, 2008 02:50 |  #9

Hyoii, you should look into the Sigma 17-70 lens. This lens is really impressive for its overall IQ and light weight. It will provide you with a wide angle and decent reach all in one.

Off topic but please consider buying an external flash like the 430EX if you haven't already done so. This makes a huge difference in image quality especially indoors (main or fill light). Your lenses will thank you for it.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

sponsored links

1,724 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a good Walkaround lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.