Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 May 2008 (Sunday) 08:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 24L or 35L? Need help/opinions

LL01773
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 25, 2008 08:12 |  #1

I'm looking for some opinions or maybe some advice to help me make a decision.
I'm considering buying either the 24L or 35L and can't make my mind up about which will be most useful.
I know I already have lenses that cover both focal lengths, but I want a fast prime (as I am beginning to prefer using primes instead of zooms) with a wider focal length than the primes I already own (excluding the fisheye obviously).
There are a couple of factors making it hard for me to decide though and thats where you guys come in. Those factors are:

• Will the 35 be too close in focal length to the 50 1.4 that I already own to justify spending £900?
  • I want to be able to use the lens for portrait work as well as other types of photography, but will the 24L maybe be a little too wide for that purpose, meaning I have to get uncomfortably close to the subject to get decent shots?
Thanks in advance for any help

Elliott

No sense and unfortunately not enough money.

www.flickr.com/photos/​ejl80 (external link) www.ejlphotos.co.uk (external link)

Stuff I Use

sponsored links
soejatono
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 25, 2008 08:15 |  #2

i am happy with 35L

---------------
EOS 40D | BG-E2N
EF- 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 50mm f/1.8 II - EF-16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM
EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM - EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM

LL01773
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 25, 2008 08:19 |  #3

soejatono wrote in post #5592151 (external link)
i am happy with 35L

Your sig says you have the 50 1.8 as well. Do you find that having the 35 means you use the 50 a lot less? My concern is that maybe having the 35 will make my 50 1.4 more or less redundant.

www.flickr.com/photos/​ejl80 (external link) www.ejlphotos.co.uk (external link)

Stuff I Use

Lars ­ Finkelstein
215 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 25, 2008 08:28 |  #4

I use both 35L and 50 1.8

GEAR

Styria
99 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 25, 2008 08:30 as a reply to  @ LL01773's post |  #5

What do you think of your own zoom lenses set to 35mm, versus your 50?

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 25, 2008 08:34 as a reply to  @ Lars Finkelstein's post |  #6

never used the 24L, but i love my 35L

IMAGE: http://holzking.net/gallery/albums/weddingexamples/3H0J8502small.jpg

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

May 25, 2008 08:36 |  #7

I just got the 35L got to say pretty impressed with it, on a side note, it is not £950 odd Pounds get it form Kerso or pay £679-00 Delivered from Digital REV I was charged import duty, that Digital Rev refunded in 2 days to my paypal account.

I have a 50mm 1.4 as well, not used it for a while, but the 35L is a quite lot better IQ wise, nice and close Min Focus to get great shallow DOF

Just some 35L examples nothing good but gives you an idea

I find 24mm is to close to a UWA lens I rather have a wider angle than a prime 24mm at the present

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

LL01773
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 25, 2008 08:41 |  #8

Styria wrote in post #5592202 (external link)
What do you think of your own zoom lenses set to 35mm, versus your 50?

I had a quick check using my 24-105 to compare all 3 focal lengths (24, 35, 50) and thats one of the reasons I decided to post the question on here to see what others thought. I definitely liked the 35mm focal length, but I still have concerns that it may lead to me using the 50mm less than if I bought the 24L instead. Having said that I liked 35mm, I also really like the wider angle that 24mm gave me, but I'm just worried that to use it for portraits may mean getting a little too close to the subject.
I guess that really if I bought the 24 and found myself getting too close to the subject then I could just switch to the 50. The only issue then could be space if shooting indoors.
If only I had the money to buy both. :lol:

Stuff I Use

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 25, 2008 08:47 |  #9

* Will the 35 be too close in focal length to the 50 1.4 that I already own to justify spending £900?

If you're already overlapping lenses, I wouldn't worry about whether the new lens takes over some duties from the 50. You can always sell it if it is unused but I think 35 is quite a bit of a different view than 50 so they don't conflict.

* I want to be able to use the lens for portrait work as well as other types of photography, but will the 24L maybe be a little too wide for that purpose, meaning I have to get uncomfortably close to the subject to get decent shots?

24 is a bit short for that on the 5D unless your at about waist up or longer. If that is the primary focus, I'd go for the 35. Looking at your Flickr, though, you seem to tend towards wide. Both lenses are excellent, you can't go wrong either way.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

suyenfung
763 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 25, 2008 08:48 |  #10

the 35 is better suited for general portrait work.

cleveland ohio wedding photographer (external link) | gear

LL01773
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 25, 2008 08:49 |  #11

MaDProFF wrote in post #5592241 (external link)
I just got the 35L got to say pretty impressed with it, on a side note, it is not £950 odd Pounds get it form Kerso or pay £679-00 Delivered from Digital REV I was charged import duty, that Digital Rev refunded in 2 days to my paypal account.

I have a 50mm 1.4 as well, not used it for a while, but the 35L is a quite lot better IQ wise, nice and close Min Focus to get great shallow DOF

Just some 35L examples nothing good but gives you an idea

I find 24mm is to close to a UWA lens I rather have a wider angle than a prime 24mm at the present

I have to admit that I'm leaning more towards the 35L, and it was just the closeness to the 50 that put doubts in my mind.

I did send Kerso a PM about both lenses, but haven't had a reply yet. My problem is that I can be an impatient sod sometimes. :lol:

I'm keen to get the lens (whichever I decide to buy) within the next 2 weeks as I go on holiday just after that and was hoping to take my new acquisition with me. Maybe I should just get both and tell the girlfriend that I can't afford to take her now. :lol:

Stuff I Use

tom ­ s
434 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 25, 2008 08:54 |  #12

24L better center sharpness from f/2 and up; softish corners even on a crop; so so bokeh [B-/C+]
35L better center sharpness from 1.4-1.8, better corners; neutral bokeh [B+, A-]

Using: Canon 70d, Canon 50d, 135 2 USM L, 50 1.8, Sigma 10 2.8 HSM EX fisheye, Sigma 180 2.8 AP✿ macr✿, Sigma 18-35 1.8 ART, Nikon D5500

Shuko
377 posts
Joined May 2008

May 25, 2008 09:09 |  #13

suyenfung wrote in post #5592276 (external link)
the 35 is better suited for general portrait work.

Agreed. Both are usable, but 24 is more for "special" shots. 35 on FF is already wide for portraits.

www.miikajarvinen.fi (external link)
Gear List

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 25, 2008 09:12 as a reply to  @ LL01773's post |  #14

There's actually quite a big difference in the FOV between a 35 and 50 mm lens;

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …nses101/focal_l​ength.html (external link)

So if you're worried about the overlap or 50 mm not being useful anymore, the link above may alleviate that concern.

I plan on getting the 35L next week, myself, to compliment my options, not replace them. I feel that each prime lens and focal length has fairly specific applications and if you see yourself having the need for them and can afford it, buy them all! :D

Cheers! :)

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

LL01773
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 25, 2008 09:19 |  #15

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #5592376 (external link)
There's actually quite a big difference in the FOV between a 35 and 50 mm lens;

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …nses101/focal_l​ength.html (external link)

So if you're worried about the overlap or 50 mm not being useful anymore, the link above may alleviate that concern.

I plan on getting the 35L next week, myself, to compliment my options, not replace them. I feel that each prime lens and focal length has fairly specific applications and if you see yourself having the need for them and can afford it, buy them all! :D

Cheers! :)

Thanks for the link.
I'm definitely leaning towards the 35L, but I'm seriously tempted to get both. I have some money sitting in my bank account that was supposed to be used for another purpose, but that's now been delayed for quite a while so my girlfriend and I agreed that I could buy one of the lenses and save the rest of the money. Guess I might have to sweet talk her into letting me buy both. :D

Stuff I Use

sponsored links

2,875 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 24L or 35L? Need help/opinions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.