Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 May 2008 (Thursday) 12:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem with XT

Ryan.
108 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 29, 2008 12:32 |  #1

hi,
im not sure if this is the right place to post this but..i have a problem with my xt connecting to my computer. i installed the programs onto my computer and they installed fine but when i connect my camera to it, it says the camera is not recongized. any help?

---- ----- ----

sponsored links
elader
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 29, 2008 14:28 |  #2

buy a $15 card reader. its faster, doesn't use the cams battery, and preserves that frail little jack on the cam for USB.

Eric
FJR1300 rider
5D mkIII and 1D MkIII

16-35L | 24-105L | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 85 f/1.8 / 50 f.1,4

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,284 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 29, 2008 14:35 |  #3

Need way more info like OS, where you're plugging in, credit card and social numbers.. ;)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

PeterWem
259 posts
Joined May 2007

May 29, 2008 15:15 |  #4

As ealder said. a card reader is to preform.

Some pictures (external link)
IR-converterd 1000D, D30, M5, 7D, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 70-200/2,8L IS II, 300/2,8L IS, 24-105/4L, 85/1,8, 50/1,4, 24/1,4L II, Helios 58/2 - - - - RawTherapee (external link), DPP (external link), Photomatix (external link), Darktable (external link), Luminance HDR (external link), GIMP 2.9.3, Darktable (external link)

Ryan.
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 03, 2008 18:58 as a reply to  @ PeterWem's post |  #5

lol ok thanks guys. but im using vista home ed. if anyone knows anything else and can help, thank you.

---- ----- ----

tbsteph
106 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 03, 2008 19:10 |  #6

I had the same problem with my XT and Vista. For me, buying a USB CF card reader was the easiest solution. For what its worth, my Macbook has no problems reading the card directly from the camera. Go figure.

Canon EOS 100D / EOS Rebel SL1 EOS Rebel SL2 | Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

infinite012
602 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 03, 2008 19:14 |  #7

Try putting the camera in PC Connection mode instead of Print/PTP...

Michael
My Gear

Walczak ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 03, 2008 20:48 |  #8

The first thing I'd suggest is check your cable. I had this problem myself as the cable I was using was actually from one of my older cameras and it was only a USB 1.0 cable. Also make sure your USB ports are actually turned on in your system BIOS as well (never hurts to double check).

If that's not it, my next suggestion would be to download the latest drivers from Canon's website...completely uninstall the old ones first and then install the new ones afterwards (do NOT try and install the new ones over the old ones!). If it's still not working I would also look for TWAIN conflicts if you have something like a scanner or another digital camera's software install on that computer. May not be a bad idea to just reinstall the USB drivers too.

Beyond that, if all else fails, try installing the camera to a different computer...if it still don't work, it could be a problem with the camera itself (it happens).

Also on a personal note, I think card readers are a pain in the butt...I've had two of them crap out in a row so I just download right off the camera. Unless you have a really bad battery, the juice used to download your pics is relatively insignificant and as far as the wear and tear goes on the jack for the cable, I'd say this isn't any more or less of a problem than the wear and tear caused to the CF card slot on the camera by popping the memory card in and out all the time. To be frank, I see Canon cameras (and others) up on Ebay as damaged/for parts all the time where they've lost a pin in the CF card slot but I've never seen one listed like that because of a bad USB jack. Very simply between my Canon and my Sony, I've downloaded close to 30,000 pictures right off the cameras and I've never had a problem. Sorry but to me card readers are a waste of money.

Just my $.02 worth...hope it helps!
Jim

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment. " - Ansel Adams
Walczak Photography - www.walczakphoto.izfre​e.com (external link)
Gear List

M_ark
667 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 03, 2008 21:08 |  #9

i found that installing multiple versions of 'nlite' for vista or XP has caused conflicts with the download tool - i use a card reader (faster and cheaper than loosing a pin in the Xti Body.)

remarkphotography.com (external link)
Canon EOS 40D, 5Dc, EF 24-70 2.8L, Tamron 55-200.

Ryan.
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 03, 2008 21:30 as a reply to  @ M_ark's post |  #10

ok thank you everyone. i tried putting it in PC Connection mode that didnt work. So i think i will just go pick up a Card Reader.

Thanks again,
-Ryan.

---- ----- ----

M_ark
667 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 04, 2008 18:43 |  #11

Ryan. wrote in post #5654388 (external link)
ok thank you everyone. i tried putting it in PC Connection mode that didnt work. So i think i will just go pick up a Card Reader.

Thanks again,
-Ryan.

just an addendum - if you ever format your card or delete images off it and you want to recover them - the recovery software will need to access the card as a drive such as H:\ (ie. mass storage device). You would not be able to do this if the card were still 'in camera'.

remarkphotography.com (external link)
Canon EOS 40D, 5Dc, EF 24-70 2.8L, Tamron 55-200.

Joe ­ Cyr
989 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 04, 2008 19:02 |  #12

Yet another flaw of Vista, which I unfortunatlely have... None of the old cd software works. Thank God the PC has built in card readers!

Canon 1D (Mark III) (Mark IV),
10d, Elan IIE (old school), 580exII
70-200 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8 (nifty)

sponsored links

983 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem with XT
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.