Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Jun 2008 (Thursday) 04:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting the Shutter speed down

pjfrad
133 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 05, 2008 04:53 |  #1

Hi everyone,

Yesterday afternoon I went for a walk to the park to try to get some shots of ducklings and squirrels. The park is pretty much surrounded by trees and so the whole area was shady.

I was shooting at around 300mm with my Kit lens on a 400d which I know isn't the best, but I was really struggling with my shutter speed. I pushed the ISO all the way up to 1600 and opened to f5.6 (as far as the lens goes) but was still struggling to get a shutter speed faster than 100-200.

Most of the shots are worthless because of camera shake, moving subjects or noise due to the ISO, but there are a couple that might come out OK which I'll post when I've had time to try and clean them up a bit.

What I want to know is are there any tricks that I'm missing to help with a faster shutter in lower light conditions? Apart from spending thousands on a zoom lens with a huge apature and IS. Using my tripod is pretty tough trying to chase animals around a park....

Thanks Peter

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pjfrad/ (external link)

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 05, 2008 04:58 |  #2

pjfrad wrote in post #5663874 (external link)
What I want to know is are there any tricks that I'm missing to help with a faster shutter is lower light conditions? Apart from spending thousands on a zoom lens with a huge apature and IS.

Thanks Peter

You're trying to get into a rich man's hobby. Reach + speed costs.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 05, 2008 05:09 |  #3

Google 'Better Beamer'.

Elie / אלי

adam ­ LC
Goldmember
2,142 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 05, 2008 05:11 |  #4

You could try shooting in full manual mode, underexopsing to get the shutter speed you want and then upping the exposure in post processing.

EOS 6D, 135L, 24-105L, Mamiya RZ67pro2 and lenses :cool:
If you saw a man drowning and could either save him or take a picture...
What kind of film would you use? - Anonymous

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 05, 2008 05:46 |  #5

1/100 to 1/200 would have worked if you had a lens with IS. This is why IS is valuable. So the not quite cheap approach would have been a lens like the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM. It's similar to the lens your have except a little better optically plus the IS....which is what you really needed.

But all in all it is as CDI stated.....long and fast lenses cost a lot of money. The longer and faster you want the more you spend. Try checking out the price of the EF 300/2.8L IS. That would have had you shooting 1/400 to 1/800 but would set you back $3800 here. It's also better than 3.5kg.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 05, 2008 09:00 |  #6

Most of the shots are worthless because of camera shake,...

Tripod, or brace yourself on something & squeeeeeez the button. Don't stab at it.

moving subjects

They'll stop sometime. Wait for it.

or noise due to the ISO,

The better the exposure, the less noise you'll see.
Try manual in those tough conditions. First set the f-stop & shutter speed you need. Then adjust the ISO. Need an exposure crutch?
This shows how the subject can affect the exposure & why manual keeps me worry free: Post #47

Everyone runs into these "problems". You just need to think while you're shooting? ;)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 05, 2008 09:40 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #7

You must find some way to brace that camera as Frank suggested.

I suffer from caffeine/nicotine induced palsy and your problem is something I deal with by using a trpod/monopod most of the time.

Getting that SS up and the ISO down and the lens wide open is sometimes a neat trick.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

ryant35
Goldmember
4,386 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 05, 2008 09:48 |  #8

adamlc wrote in post #5663921 (external link)
You could try shooting in full manual mode, underexopsing to get the shutter speed you want and then upping the exposure in post processing.

And shooting raw because you can up the exposure by 2 stops.

5DMK4, 7DMK2, 24-104mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS MK2, 17-40mm f/4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 35mm f/1.4,1.4X & 2X TC III 580EXII
www.ryantorresphotogra​phy.com (external link)Photography Facebook Fan Page (external link)
flickr (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 05, 2008 11:19 |  #9

Yep, I agree with this.
At 300mm, on your camera you would ideally want something like 1/480 shutter speed to prevent handshake blur.

With the 3 stop IS, you can use as slow as 1/60...and given that you were getting 1/100 - 1/200 shutter speed on your current lens, you would have easily handheld it at those speed, and at 1/200 possibly fast enough to stop subject motion as well all without handshake affecting your shots.

JeffreyG wrote in post #5663998 (external link)
1/100 to 1/200 would have worked if you had a lens with IS. This is why IS is valuable. So the not quite cheap approach would have been a lens like the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM. It's similar to the lens your have except a little better optically plus the IS....which is what you really needed.

But all in all it is as CDI stated.....long and fast lenses cost a lot of money. The longer and faster you want the more you spend. Try checking out the price of the EF 300/2.8L IS. That would have had you shooting 1/400 to 1/800 but would set you back $3800 here. It's also better than 3.5kg.

ryant35
Goldmember
4,386 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 05, 2008 11:21 |  #10

And if you cannot get the shutter speed that fast with that lens, you will have to wait for better light.

5DMK4, 7DMK2, 24-104mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS MK2, 17-40mm f/4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 35mm f/1.4,1.4X & 2X TC III 580EXII
www.ryantorresphotogra​phy.com (external link)Photography Facebook Fan Page (external link)
flickr (external link)

Stocky
731 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 05, 2008 12:13 |  #11

I just went through something similar and decided that I was better off with my 24-105 than with my 70-200 f/4 with no IS. It worked better to crop a good picture than to take a close blurry one.

Always happy to hear some critique
gear list

pjfrad
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 06, 2008 05:16 |  #12

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I was trying to brace against a tree or fence when I could but still found it difficult to hold the camera perfectly still, perhaps it's just me, I may have been a bit aggressive on the shutter button in an attempt to get the shots. I can try my tripod but it's pretty large.

I had the ISO and f-stop maxed so I guess the only other thing I could try to do is go out when the light is a bit brighter. I do shoot in RAW, and did try putting -2 EC on to fix in post production, but will have to wait and see how that comes out when I have a moment to process them. I'm also concerned about the amount of noise in them from the high ISO.

It looks like the main answer though is a lens with IS or a better f-stop, is anyone selling in the UK? My main concern with this is that I don't want to go and spend £800 - £1000 on a lens and then find I still take crap photos because it's just me...

Thanks for the help.
Peter

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pjfrad/ (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 06, 2008 06:05 |  #13

What you really need is a GOOD QUALITY tripod. Then, you can choose whether or not to use it. If you don't have one with you, you don't have the option. A good tripod is sometimes the only practical solution to your problem.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sigmonster
82 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 06, 2008 06:30 |  #14

The cheapest option is a monopod and it's very portable too but basically there is no substitute for a fast lens.

Mark parkinson.
Canon 40D & 10D Sigma,12-24,24-70,120-300 & 300-800.

ryant35
Goldmember
4,386 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 06, 2008 09:16 |  #15

The best tripod or monopod won't help you if your shutter speed is too slow for your moving subjects.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,151 views & 0 likes for this thread
Getting the Shutter speed down
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.