Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Dec 2004 (Saturday) 08:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I must be missing something (Dreb and built in flash)

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 25, 2004 08:19 |  #1

Went to the in-laws for Xmas eve last night.

Started shooting; all was well. Camera went to sleep; and from that point on; the flash would not pop up+flash for the rest of the evening.

Even in auto mode; it was setting the shutter @ 1/6th of a second; but no flash!

I've used different batteries/cf cards; removed both bats for 10 minutes, selected camera setting reset... All to no avail.

In the creative modes I hit the flash button and it doesn't pop up;

In the viewfinder; I do see the flash icon blink 3 times; but shutter speed is still really slow but no flash.

I've had this camera for 3 mos; anyone have ANY ideas?

-Tom D.
Merry Xmas!

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

sponsored links
TheSonofDarwin
618 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 25, 2004 08:26 |  #2

Well, in the creative modes when you hit the manual open-the-flash button it doesn't work, so its normal there. It does in the more "manual" modes like P, Tv, etc. The rest sounds weird, but I'm not good in the workings of the camera yet, so I'll leave that upto the pros ;)

-Justin (external link)

Tdragone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 25, 2004 08:30 as a reply to  @ TheSonofDarwin's post |  #3

Sorry; got my modes swapped. Yes; I have tried the flash button in the manual modes as well.

I don't even hear a click; so I'm thinking it's not the flash release; but rather the camera not trying to use the flash.

Anyone have any other ideas ??

-Tom Dragonetti
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

bryn
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 25, 2004 08:44 as a reply to  @ Tdragone's post |  #4

I am suffering from the same thing. Only got the Camera (EOS 300) today and to start with it was fine, then it did exactly the same as above. It wont eject and use the flash in the Auto modes. The pictures come out black. It has done this twice now. The first time it did it i just removed both batterys for 10 mins and it reset itself but the second time it did it this failed to remedy the problem.:( :( I know (hope!:confused: ) it is only going to be a push of a button but i am blowed if i can find any reference to the problem in the manual.:-S

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,269 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 25, 2004 09:34 as a reply to  @ bryn's post |  #5

Sounds like malfunction to me.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

bryn
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 25, 2004 09:51 as a reply to  @ sparker1's post |  #6

sparker1 wrote:
Sounds like malfunction to me.

On Both cameras!!! not a good advert for canon. I am still hoping it is user error and some button i have pressed by mistake. Not really looking forward to getting it exchanged :( :(

Tdragone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 25, 2004 20:24 as a reply to  @ bryn's post |  #7

The night prior to this I was shooting long exposures; but in Tv mode; so I haven't messed with anything that I know of..

I thought selecting the cameras reset settings menu option would have fixed it but.....

As a side note; I just discovered that in the night portrait mode I can get the flash to pop up; but not fire when I take a picture....

Going to pop both batteries out overnight and format a cf card in my laptop; and try again in the morning...

-Tom Dragonetti
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

viavoice
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 08, 2005 10:49 |  #8

>Tdragone : Did you solved this problem? I'm having exactly the same symptoms on my EOS 20D and I dont know what to do to solve it... :(

Tdragone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 11, 2005 19:43 as a reply to  @ viavoice's post |  #9

I haven't done antything to fix/resolve the problem.

It still happens sporadically; but I can't _always_ reproduce it. It seems like now if I go from the 'auto' mode to the P mode and back then push the shutter down halfway; the flash will pop up; but sometimes it doesn't fire until the second pic I take...

I just don't want to send the camera in; I shot over 1200 pictures in the last week on vacation..

-Tom Dragonetti
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

Vega$50
178 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 11, 2005 20:04 |  #10

How about re-flashing your firmware? Before I sent it off to Canon, it would be something I would try.... Just a thought..

"Pedro... offers you his protection!" - N.D. 2005

Notice: My post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.

www.sfstudios.net (external link)

www.tinstars.org (external link) <-Galleries

www.fstopforums.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 11, 2005 21:00 |  #11

Put the dial onto P, push the button to pop up the flash, and try it again. The flash popup button's on the front of the camera, and has a little lightening symbol beside it. If it doesn't pop up it's faulty, so return it to where you got it from.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

2,158 views & 0 likes for this thread
I must be missing something (Dreb and built in flash)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.