Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 07 Jun 2008 (Saturday) 07:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Airshow Lens Combo

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 07, 2008 17:17 |  #16

malla1962 wrote in post #5679796 (external link)
I would think hard about the 500 at the RIAT;) Have you been there before?I don't think I would like to lug the 500 round there.If you get to the front of the line I think the 300 and 1.4 will do a good job and on your 5d you will have a bit more than what I had with my mk2 and 300 bare.The shots I posted were from last years RIAT and if I go this year I won't be taking my 500 it will be 1dsmk2,300 and 1.4 TC

It's probably good to listen to someone who's been to the same show, and not me. The 4 I went to last year, here in the US, I could use all the reach I could carry. Maybe the spectators are a lot closer there.

John Caputo

sponsored links
malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 07, 2008 17:29 |  #17

JC4 wrote in post #5679816 (external link)
It's probably good to listen to someone who's been to the same show, and not me. The 4 I went to last year, here in the US, I could use all the reach I could carry. Maybe the spectators are a lot closer there.

I was right on the line last year and as the planes were taking off I could not frame then untill they passed me,it is a huge show, you need to be in the line to get in at 6.30AM to get a good place and if you move forget about getting to the front again,if I go again I will not enter the show I will be in a farmers field just across the runway.Its just to busy in there.

Gear List

adam ­ LC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,142 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 07, 2008 18:43 |  #18

malla1962 wrote in post #5679853 (external link)
I was right on the line last year and as the planes were taking off I could not frame then untill they passed me,it is a huge show, you need to be in the line to get in at 6.30AM to get a good place and if you move forget about getting to the front again,if I go again I will not enter the show I will be in a farmers field just across the runway.Its just to busy in there.

The weight is an issue with the 500. No I haven't been there and I've only seen the event photos on the website, last year did look amazingly busy from the photos. As it is my first airshow, maybe the 300 and tc is a better option. The 100-400 with tc is a no go on the 5D for me, way too slow... especially with the unpredictable British weather.

The 500 might be a bit overkill for me; the more I think about it.

Malla, Do you know this farmer? or will you just sneak in kind of thing? PM me if you like, sounds like it might be a better idea.

EOS 6D, 135L, 24-105L, Mamiya RZ67pro2 and lenses :cool:
If you saw a man drowning and could either save him or take a picture...
What kind of film would you use? - Anonymous

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 08, 2008 03:10 |  #19

adamlc wrote in post #5680087 (external link)
The weight is an issue with the 500. No I haven't been there and I've only seen the event photos on the website, last year did look amazingly busy from the photos. As it is my first airshow, maybe the 300 and tc is a better option. The 100-400 with tc is a no go on the 5D for me, way too slow... especially with the unpredictable British weather.

The 500 might be a bit overkill for me; the more I think about it.

Malla, Do you know this farmer? or will you just sneak in kind of thing? PM me if you like, sounds like it might be a better idea.

No I dont know the farmer and I dont sneak in;) he charges £10 but he has toilets and a burger van there, the blue jet I posted was from there on the friday, they practice right over you I will try and find out what it is called and pm you the details.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i18.photobucket​.com …30/malla1962/MO​2Q3185.jpg (external link)

Gear List

adam ­ LC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,142 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2008 03:55 |  #20

^Really appreciate that, thanks. Another great shot again, PERFECT amount of prop blur!

muscleflex
Goldmember
3,006 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 10, 2008 08:03 |  #21

^^ lol - hey! not fair! i'd like to know details as well! altho i already have my tickets. £10 is nothing compared to £30something a pop!

i was in the same boat as you before. i wanted to hire the 500 purely for the F22 raptor but it's a scary lens to have! and from what i remember of the F117 last year, it didn't fly too high or far from the crowd so i'm thinking of getting a 300 2.8 (wasn't thinking of getting a 1.4x but i might now just to make sure)

the 100-400 is a great lens! altho i got it last year and riat last year was my first show with the lens so shots weren't as good but i've gotten good at using that lens now (i hope) so i think you'll be fine with it if you changed your mind.

see you at the show!

:cool:Canon 1D MK III:cool: | Canon EOS 20D | Canon 16-35 II [COLOR=red]L [COLOR=black]| Canon 100-400 [COLOR=red]L IS | [COLOR=#000000]Canon 50mm II 1.8 | Canon 580 EX II

adam ­ LC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,142 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 10, 2008 08:10 |  #22

Believe it or not, I'm thinking about the 120-300 with 1 or 2x now, over the 300 2.8 just for the versatility... damn it I'm confused:) If i do the farmers field then I could probably get away with sitting in one spot and using a tripod for the 500 with an appropriate head, but if I do the actual event I'd need something a lot more handholdable. I've practiced holding 5kg in front of me and it's not that bad, but that might change after 6 or so hours!

I think the 120-300 and tc, then at least it's all bases covered, opinions!?!?!?!

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 10, 2008 11:26 |  #23

adam LC wrote in post #5695001 (external link)
Believe it or not, I'm thinking about the 120-300 with 1 or 2x now, over the 300 2.8 just for the versatility... damn it I'm confused:) If i do the farmers field then I could probably get away with sitting in one spot and using a tripod for the 500 with an appropriate head, but if I do the actual event I'd need something a lot more handholdable. I've practiced holding 5kg in front of me and it's not that bad, but that might change after 6 or so hours!

I think the 120-300 and tc, then at least it's all bases covered, opinions!?!?!?!

I think that would work with the 1.4X T-Con.

Gear List

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,180 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 14, 2008 19:41 |  #24

I am hiring a 100-400 for the Farnborough International Airshow but was also wondering whether using a CPL or ND filters is better/best???

In respect of Farnborough has anyone been before and can advise where the grandstand is in relation to the flightline ~ I have a ticket for the grandstand and it was my understanding that it affords a good view of the air display?

TIA :)

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

sponsored links

3,699 views & 0 likes for this thread
Airshow Lens Combo
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.