Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Jun 2008 (Saturday) 14:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon Version of EOS Utility?

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 07, 2008 14:38 |  #1

I have an assitant that has a D300 and I'd like to sync his camera time with my Macbook Pro, of course I sync all my bodies with EOS Utility.

Do any of you guys know what software will do this with the Nikon D300?

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 07, 2008 15:01 |  #2

capture NX does, but unlike canon, nikon forces you to buy it for 100 bucks. tell him to skip the syncing and just use a damn card reader

edit: you can use lightroom if you want file numbers to be sequential, both import and batch renaming

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 07, 2008 15:23 |  #3

basroil wrote in post #5679275 (external link)
capture NX does, but unlike canon, nikon forces you to buy it for 100 bucks. tell him to skip the syncing and just use a damn card reader

edit: you can use lightroom if you want file numbers to be sequential, both import and batch renaming

Thanks but it is not about the "damn card reader", it is about syncing the cameras time so when I import the images from 3 cameras they will sort in exact time sequence.

McKinney, TX

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 07, 2008 15:39 |  #4

You might look at Downloader Pro (external link). For $30 it will sync the time in all the cameras as well as allow you to add a camera ID to the file name. They have a 30 day free trial.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 07, 2008 21:19 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

What is it today? People seem to expect everything for free. Capture NX is very good by all accounts, far superior to DPP. There's an old adage - get it for free, usually it'll be crappy.

Dave

http://www.macro-images.com/ (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 08, 2008 11:54 |  #6

dpastern wrote in post #5680766 (external link)
What is it today? People seem to expect everything for free. Capture NX is very good by all accounts, far superior to DPP. There's an old adage - get it for free, usually it'll be crappy.

Dave

I think if you pay $2,500+ for a body it should come with basic software to use it. Canon does a good job of giving you the tools to use your equipment.

McKinney, TX

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 08, 2008 12:09 |  #7

taygull wrote in post #5683702 (external link)
I think if you pay $2,500+ for a body it should come with basic software to use it. Canon does a good job of giving you the tools to use your equipment.

Agree with you on this.

7D, 5DII

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 08, 2008 12:14 as a reply to  @ Rafromak's post |  #8

I thought Nikon was now including software with the D3 and D300

from DP Review:

The D300 is provided with a software CD which contains:

* Nikon View NX (Windows / Mac OS X) - A new simplified image browser / organization / basic manipulation application based on the Capture NX design (although it has to be said, easier to use). Provides basic RAW to JPEG conversion with adjustment of exposure compensation, white balance and picture control.

* Nikon Transfer (Windows / Mac OS X) - Automated transfer of images from camera or card reader.

* Nikon Capture NX (Windows / Mac OS X) - Nikon's advanced workflow and RAW development application, has traditionally been an 'optional extra' however a current promotion means that the D300 and D3 are being shipped with Capture NX keys in many regions enabling the 'trial download' to be upgraded to a full release.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 08, 2008 18:00 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

taygull wrote in post #5683702 (external link)

<sarcasm>Sure and if you buy a 30grand car, the manufacturer should pay for petrol for the first ten years</sarcasm>. Gee...there's no such thing as a free lunch, get over it.

By the same argument, you should all be using the GIMP cos Photoshop costs too much!

Dave

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 08, 2008 19:04 |  #10

dpastern wrote in post #5685507 (external link)
<sarcasm>Sure and if you buy a 30grand car, the manufacturer should pay for petrol for the first ten years</sarcasm>. Gee...there's no such thing as a free lunch, get over it.

By the same argument, you should all be using the GIMP cos Photoshop costs too much!

Dave

Dave,

Why do you have to be an a s s?

Just stay out of the thread if you can not provide anything useful!

I'm not looking for a photo editing software, I'm wanting a simple utility like EOS Utility that would sync a camera with a laptop so they match the "time". To use your stupid ass analogy I should not have to pay for keys when I buy a car, and it should have enough gas and oil in it to drive it to the gas station. You must be one of those guys who thought it was OK for GM to sell trucks with no bumpers a few years ago, if you wanted one you had to pay extra.

McKinney, TX

LotsToLearn
Goldmember
2,290 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 08, 2008 19:23 |  #11

Their software is called PictureProject and comes with all their DSLRs. It has the time sync function. Their RAW editing software is only bundled with the new D3 and D300 and isn't needed for the sync.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 08, 2008 19:55 |  #12

LotsToLearn wrote in post #5685882 (external link)
Their software is called PictureProject and comes with all their DSLRs. It has the time sync function. Their RAW editing software is only bundled with the new D3 and D300 and isn't needed for the sync.

Thanks! I'll see if he has that. He didn't think what "came" with the camera had the sync function.

McKinney, TX

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 09, 2008 02:22 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

taygull wrote in post #5685787 (external link)
Dave,

Why do you have to be an a s s?

Just stay out of the thread if you can not provide anything useful!

I'm not looking for a photo editing software, I'm wanting a simple utility like EOS Utility that would sync a camera with a laptop so they match the "time". To use your stupid ass analogy I should not have to pay for keys when I buy a car, and it should have enough gas and oil in it to drive it to the gas station. You must be one of those guys who thought it was OK for GM to sell trucks with no bumpers a few years ago, if you wanted one you had to pay extra.

I dunno, didn't think I was one. Your problem is easily fixed - card reader and usb cable. Windows will detect the card reader quite nicely. I believe OS X will do it as well. No need for 3rd party software, as both operating systems can read Canon RAW files with the appropriate add-on software (free).

I just get sick and tired of Canon users bashing Nikon for any good ole reason they can find. If you can't handle competition, then stay out of the ring.

Dave

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 09, 2008 02:37 |  #14

dpastern wrote in post #5687583 (external link)
I dunno, didn't think I was one. Your problem is easily fixed - card reader and usb cable. Windows will detect the card reader quite nicely. I believe OS X will do it as well. No need for 3rd party software, as both operating systems can read Canon RAW files with the appropriate add-on software (free).

I just get sick and tired of Canon users bashing Nikon for any good ole reason they can find. If you can't handle competition, then stay out of the ring.

Dave

Sorry Dave but you're incorrect on this. Taygull isn't looking for software to use the camera as a drive for the transfer and rename of files. Taygull is looking for software to allow both photographers to have their cameras connected and synced to the same computer using that computer's clock as the time set within the camera before they shoot so that when they come back, offload the files, and sort by capture date, the Nikon and Canon files will mix properly...ie in chronological order. If the times do not match, they will be out of order.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 09, 2008 03:42 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

My bad, got this one mixed up with another thread. No, my suggestion won't do what taygull wanted, you are correct, apologies taygull. Somehow I thought this thread was about connecting the Nikon to the PC/Mac and d/l the images, although I did realise what he wanted when I originally looked at the post a few days ago lol. I'm blaming this one on old age ;)

Downloader pro should do what he wants, although I haven't used it myself.

Dave

sponsored links

3,093 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon Version of EOS Utility?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.