Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jun 2008 (Sunday) 00:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

More than one?

MilesW
240 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 08, 2008 00:02 |  #1

I have a 20D and have been thinking of selling it and getting a 40D or a 5d. Hate to part with it. So my question do any of you have more than one Camera?

20D Canon EFS 17-85IS, 70-2001:4 L IS, Macro 100 F2.8, Canon 50 1.4Canon ext EF 1.4X II

sponsored links
Stephie
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 08, 2008 00:03 |  #2

MilesW wrote in post #5681542 (external link)
I have a 20D and have been thinking of selling it and getting a 40D or a 5d. Hate to part with it. So my question do any of you have more than one Camera?

yes

a lot of us do

Stephanie Powers
PowerfulPhotography
www.facebook.com/power​fulphotography (external link)
My Gear List

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 08, 2008 00:09 |  #3

I would say of the people that have more than one body 99.9% are pros. If you make a living out of your gear its best to have a failsafe, if its a hobby then there is no point wasting your money.

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,105 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 08, 2008 00:16 |  #4

Anke wrote in post #5681571 (external link)
I would say of the people that have more than one body 99.9% are pros. If you make a living out of your gear its best to have a failsafe, if its a hobby then there is no point wasting your money.

I'd venture a guess that there are quite a few here that do not consider themselves pros with more than one body.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2008 00:20 |  #5

for sure, I have a 40D and just picked up a 5D and have no intentions of going to 1

I have not even tried to ever sell one of my pics, I really have no interest in going pro :)

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

Anke
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 08, 2008 00:24 |  #6

I stand corrected. I think I'd personally spend more on lenses and stuff.

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 08, 2008 00:41 |  #7

I would agree except for one thing.

Many of us will add a second newer body which will likely leave us with two bodies (or more). The older body won't have much monetary value, so one may as well keep it as a backup (or a keepsake:D).

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

Anke
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 08, 2008 00:42 |  #8

Glenn NK wrote in post #5681727 (external link)

Many of us will add a second newer body which will likely leave us with two bodies (or more). The older body won't have much monetary value, so one may as well keep it as a backup (or a keepsake:D).

Ahh, good point.

Anke

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,105 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 08, 2008 08:38 |  #9

Glenn NK wrote in post #5681727 (external link)

Yup... Thats me. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 08, 2008 09:13 |  #10

I have several cameras in various closets around the house because by the time I get a new camera/body the old one is essentially worthless and it is easier to put it aside than to try to sell it. I do agree most people that carry 2 bodies when shooting are likely to be pros. There are probably a few hobbyists that take 2 bodies on a shoot but they are the exception. If you want to shoot with 2 bodies there is certainly an advantage to having one set up for WA and one for TELE then you don't have to worry about changing lenses.

Joe
5DIII

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 08, 2008 09:15 |  #11

^ yup thats why I have 2 :)

for me the 5D and 40D are 2 different machines, for fast AF and long distance I use the 40D because of the speed / AF tracking & the 1.6x crop, and then for still objects / close objects the 5D rules

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

rhom
92 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 08, 2008 09:48 |  #12

Although I have a 5D dSLR, I believe that I will purchase a used/refurbished 1.6X cropped body in the future. The 5D is my main camera and it will/can do all that I need. But there are times when a second body makes good economic sense.

My wife and I love to travel. I can recall pre-digital trips to Yellowstone and to Alaska. Remember film? All Canon and Nikon film SLRs were FF. Both locations have a lot of very compelling wildlife to shoot and telephotos of 400mm or more are required on a FF body. This is very expensive and heavy glass. And in order to use this type of glass properly, a heavier tripod, head, etc. is required, adding to one's budget. My intended solution is to buy a used 1.6X body for less than $500-600 and use it with more moderate telephoto lenses. A lot less expensive and the 400D-type bodies don't weigh much at all. I'd shoot my 5D for WA and normal focal lengths on such a trip. I'd also leave the 1.6X body at home for more urban travel.

A lot has been written on these forums about using FF bodies with moderate telephotos and then cropping just the center part of images to achieve "longer focal length" equivalent shots. For me, it is better to achieve this via the 1.6X crop factor. You can see what you have focused upon and the final result of any 8MP or higher 1.6X body will always lay more pixels on your subject with a telephoto.

Best,

Rick :)
Former Nikon owner for 39 yrs, seeing the light, now!
EOS 5D, 17-40L, 24-105L IS, 70-300 IS D.O., 70-200 2.8L IS, 580EXII, Gitzo GT1550T, Adobe Lightroom, DxO Pro V.5.2, D700+ Nikkors

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,042 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 08, 2008 09:51 |  #13

I totally disagree; both about the percentage of multi camera owners and the fact that multi camera setups are a waste of money!

I cannot verify the percent of photographers shooting with more than one camera and whether or not they are pros. However, I would be willing to bet my 24-70mm f/2.8L lens against a kit glass that there are more dual camera owners than .1% and that they are not all pros!

As far as a dual camera setup being a waste of money. IMO it is not! Shooting with more than one camera frees up the photographer in many ways:

1. You don't need to switch lenses in the field as often with the inherrent dangers of damage to the equipment and dirt on the sensor.

2. You can have an extended focal range available without having to resort to the pedestrian quality of the single 18-200mm type zoom lenses. I use a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on two separate bodies. This gives me a very wide focal range with optimum quality (I don't miss the 55-70mm gap). And, although I don't shoot professionally anymore, quality of my imagery is darned important to me.

3. You will usually not miss a shot while switching lenses AND given human nature, most photographers will not miss using the correct focal length lens just because they don't feel like switching lenses.

4. You have a built-in insurance policy against missing a photographic opportunity if one of the bodies goes down. I cringe when I read about photographers going on an African safari with a bag full of lenses and a single body. I am making a once in a lifetime trip to Alaska this summer and I will be darned if I will trust any one camera body to document that trip. If you have shot enough over the years, you will have probably experienced a camera going down; even a camera which is cared for carefully. Murphy's Law: The possibility of a camera going down is in a direct relationship to the importance of the shoot and in an indirect relationship to the availability of a replacement!"

5. For photographers who rely on prime lenses, multi camera setups are a blessing.

6. A waste of money? Not to me? I would rather shoot with a pair of refurbished 30D cameras ($640 each from Adorama with free shipping) than with a single 40D at about $1,100 or even a single 5D at a lot more than that! By the way - I have used a refurb 30D for over a year now with absolutely no problems and I had to send two new Canon DSLR cameras in for service within 90 days afterI bought them. (Hey, RHOM - think about a refurb instead of a used 1.6x camera!)

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

jasonleehl
521 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 08, 2008 10:10 |  #14

Maybe many could argue that it is a waste of money. But I am saving up for my 5D as my 2nd body.

Basically, I took up photography as a hobby, and for travels. So 5D + 17-40L, and 40D + 70-200L is my ideal set-up. It really saves a lot of time switching lenses especially at zoo trips or animal shots. Sometimes you want it a bit wide like a couple of ducks seeking seeds from the zookeeper, or a close-up shot of the duck flapping.

And I'm not pro - although I do take events for my company, and weddings for my friends.

You're welcome to follow me at Instagram (external link) or visit my gallery at http://www.timestoodst​ill.sg (external link)

Elbee19
732 posts
Joined May 2004

Jun 08, 2008 12:27 |  #15

Weighing in on this thread...I have to say I have a second body because I'm full well aware that electronics fail and I like having a second body as "insurance". I have accepted payments for some senior shoots I've been involved in but I would not by any means consider myself a pro!

Cheers,
LeBaron
Canon 1DMKiii/5D/40D/30D | Canon EF 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 17-40 F4L USM | Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 | Canon 50mm 1.8

sponsored links

1,478 views & 0 likes for this thread
More than one?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.