Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 08 Jun 2008 (Sunday) 00:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

seattle meet-up

Matt-641
132 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 08, 2008 00:43 |  #1

I was browsing through and saw some people trying to get a meet-up planned in Seattle. How does this plan sound?

when: June 28
where:Gasworks Park in Seattle
time: 1pm

I know I'm new to both the forums and photography, but I do enjoy meeting new people and possibly learning a few new things about photography.

If this date doesn't work for a lot of people, I'm open for pretty much whenever, just let me know whens good.

-Matt

My Gear List

sponsored links
doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 08, 2008 10:31 |  #2

As was mentioned in the previous post Gas Works seems a bit limited. If it were to be Gasworks I would then suggest a time other than mid-day.

I went to the Pacific Science Center w/ my son yesterday; they have a butterfly house. Thousands of butterflies in a very well lit glass room w/ trees and vegetation; cameras are allowed. I don't know if everyone would be into butterlies, but if we met there when the place opend I bet we would have it to ourselves for a while.

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 08, 2008 10:35 as a reply to  @ doidinho's post |  #3

My son was getting tired when we got to the butterfly exhibit, so I only had a chance to take a couple shots; here is one of them.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Robert McCadden
MM (external link)

Matt-641
THREAD ­ STARTER
132 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 08, 2008 11:01 |  #4

oh, must have missed that part. Actually the butterfly exhibit would be a good place for pictures. I've never taken pictures of small animals before, but theres a fist time for everything. Then should we change that to Seattle Science Center at 1pm? or earlier? since that place can get kind of crowded too.

My Gear List

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 09, 2008 09:36 |  #5

Matt-641 wrote in post #5683439 (external link)
oh, must have missed that part. Actually the butterfly exhibit would be a good place for pictures. I've never taken pictures of small animals before, but theres a fist time for everything. Then should we change that to Seattle Science Center at 1pm? or earlier? since that place can get kind of crowded too.

As the organizer you may want to PM the people who responded to the last Seattle thread in order to get more participation. There were quite a few ready to go to the last meet; if the OP wouldn't have been so flakey there probally would have been a decent turnout.

Robert McCadden
MM (external link)

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 09, 2008 10:31 |  #6

I'm in, the Seattle Center is a nice place to shoot, so many different shots, the surrounding neighborhoods are cool too. I'll be OOT the 28th (I think) the 21st would be better for me. This time I hope this goes through:)

Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

Matt-641
THREAD ­ STARTER
132 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 09, 2008 10:39 |  #7

Not sure I could get the 21st off. One reason I picked the 28th.

My Gear List

Right ­ Cranium ­ Imaging
416 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 09, 2008 11:21 |  #8

I am available just about any weekend other than the 14th as I am going to the Canon conference at REI. Glazer's is one of the sponsors.

(Insert Over Used Photography Quote Here)
Canon Equipment - Mac Computers

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 09, 2008 20:11 |  #9

Right Cranium Imaging wrote in post #5689442 (external link)
I am available just about any weekend other than the 14th as I am going to the Canon conference at REI. Glazer's is one of the sponsors.

Do you realize that they are just going to go over how to use the Digital Rebel and give you their sales pitch for lenses and accesories. I can't believe they are actually charging for this event. Here is the event description from Canon:

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ventDetailAct&e​ventID=882 (external link)

Save your money, you can take the same classes for free during Kenmore Camera's photo expo.

Robert McCadden
MM (external link)

416 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 09, 2008 23:20 |  #10

doidinho wrote in post #5692469 (external link)
Do you realize that they are just going to go over how to use the Digital Rebel and give you their sales pitch for lenses and accesories. I can't believe they are actually charging for this event. Here is the event description from Canon:

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ventDetailAct&e​ventID=882 (external link)

Save your money, you can take the same classes for free during Kenmore Camera's photo expo.

Oh, I didnt know that, I got a free ticket though so I thought I would check it out. If that is all it is though, I can skip it.

As long as we dont do it on July 11th ............ iPhone 3G release day :)

Matt-641
THREAD ­ STARTER
132 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 09, 2008 23:46 |  #11

I pmed most everyone from the other thread and it looks like (from the replies I've gotten so far) that most people are either not able to make it or are very interested once a set date/time is made. I'm set on this day and time (for time being). Once I get a few more "definates" or "interested" I wil be able to say this IS going to happen. I know it's sort of a short notice event, so I am going to make it a later date if only a couple of people are able to make it. The reason being is I would like to see this be a good turn out :D I'm sorry for any inconveniences if your're one of the people interested but are still waiting for a final decision to be made.

My Gear List

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 09, 2008 23:50 |  #12

Right Cranium Imaging wrote in post #5693378 (external link)
Oh, I didnt know that, I got a free ticket though so I thought I would check it out. If that is all it is though, I can skip it.

As long as we dont do it on July 11th ............ iPhone 3G release day :)

If you got a free ticket then by all means go. You can get some good deals at those events. At the Kenmore Camera Expo they had the 430 EX flash units for $199 and B+W filters for $75. If you are looking for a flash or lens it's best to figure out what your looking before you head out; they will have deals on top of the rebates, so everything is going to look very appealing.

Robert McCadden
MM (external link)

Lelasmama05
806 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 10, 2008 16:54 as a reply to  @ doidinho's post |  #13

Not sure if I'll be able to make it but if I'm in the area I will try and go! I don't think I have anything planned but not sure yet.

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 11, 2008 00:32 |  #14

So, if it's a later date then how about July 12th...........?? Should have some 1/2 way decent weather by then...err, maybe?

Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

416 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 11, 2008 00:49 |  #15

I think we (OP) needs to just set a date and go with it. Everyone is not going to be able to make any of the days picked. I say just pick a date and a place and thats it. Maybe set two dates. One in June and One in July or August.

sponsored links

3,080 views & 0 likes for this thread
seattle meet-up
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.