Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Jun 2008 (Monday) 11:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone keep a pencil eraser in their bags?

seekphotography
83 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 09, 2008 11:09 |  #1

On my old camera I used to get a bunch of ERR99 popups all the time to the point where I was going to send it into Canon service to see what was wrong with it.

Before I did that though I went onto google and tried to find the root cause. ERR99 is really a general code so I couldn't find the exact cause but after reading a page about using a pencil eraser to gently clean the contacts of the camera/lens connection .. the ERR99 stopped!

Keeping a pencil in the bag is a good idea anyways but now it serves dual purpose. :D

IMAGE: http://www.answers.com/main/images/close.gif
Read more >> Options >>
IMAGE: http://www.answers.com/main/images/answers-logo.gif
IMAGE LINK: http://www.answers.com​?initiator=FFANS  (external link)

a camera , a few lenses, various accessories and never enough time.

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 09, 2008 12:51 |  #2

Huh. No I do not... I think Id be too worried about eraser shavings getting in my camera to do that to the contacts.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

seekphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 09, 2008 14:03 |  #3

Put the camera on a tripod or hold it upside down and VERY gently rub any oxidation off the contacts .. no reason for any shavings to get into the body unless you're careless!

Doesn't take much pressure from the eraser to get the stuff off :)

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 09, 2008 14:06 as a reply to  @ seekphotography's post |  #4

The one time I had err-99 due to dirty contacts I was able to quickly clean them with a Zeis pre-moistened lens cloth. The problem never returned. I always have some of these in my bag, so no need for an eraser, and no possibility of shavings. But, that may have been due to oils on the contacts of my, at the time new, 17-40. Other dirty contact issues may not clean as easily.

John Caputo

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 09, 2008 19:27 as a reply to  @ JC4's post |  #5

What's a PENCIL?

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

seekphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 09, 2008 19:42 |  #6

JC4 wrote in post #5690372 (external link)
The one time I had err-99 due to dirty contacts I was able to quickly clean them with a Zeis pre-moistened lens cloth. The problem never returned. I always have some of these in my bag, so no need for an eraser, and no possibility of shavings. But, that may have been due to oils on the contacts of my, at the time new, 17-40. Other dirty contact issues may not clean as easily.

does sound like a safer method .. will go out and pick up a pack. will still keep the gummy eraser in the bag as well!

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 09, 2008 20:06 |  #7

My recommendation (as a 37-year tech in the industrial controls business) is to NEVER use a standard pink eraser on gold-plated contacts. The abrasive nature of the eraser really tears up the surface of the gold pretty badly. Look at the result of using such an eraser on gold-plated contacts under a microscope and you will totally agree with me.

A far better solution is a lint-free cloth dampened with a little alcohol.

If the alcohol wipe is not enough, a little wipe with a clean white drafting eraser (MUCH less abrasive than pink erasers) may possibly be needed. The alcohol wipe is more than enough, though, in 99% of the cases I have ever seen.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

NZDoug
"old fashion"
1,499 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: French Bay, on the shores of the mighty Manukau Harbour, Aoteoroa

Jun 09, 2008 20:14 |  #8

I buy pencil erasers in bulk.
They also are useful for wedging small products when the eraser is cut with an Exacto or surgical knife to custom wedge shapes, for propping and styling.

HEY! HO!
LETS GO!

Magic_Puzzle
145 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 09, 2008 22:11 |  #9

What are pencils?? Silly goose, they were what photographers used to capture images before cameras were invented.

hqqns
I'm pretty sure the TF doesn't make mistakes.
11,167 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 24, 2010 02:37 |  #10

SkipD wrote in post #5692442 (external link)
My recommendation (as a 37-year tech in the industrial controls business) is to NEVER use a standard pink eraser on gold-plated contacts. The abrasive nature of the eraser really tears up the surface of the gold pretty badly. Look at the result of using such an eraser on gold-plated contacts under a microscope and you will totally agree with me.

A far better solution is a lint-free cloth dampened with a little alcohol.

If the alcohol wipe is not enough, a little wipe with a clean white drafting eraser (MUCH less abrasive than pink erasers) may possibly be needed. The alcohol wipe is more than enough, though, in 99% of the cases I have ever seen.

+1 -Rubbing whats left of the gold off will make it worse in the long run. Isoproyl Alcohol is best as it leaves NO residue.

subby

Wife|Son|Daughter|Comp​uters|Cameras|Lenses|A Home|Pans|Spatula|No Frogs

"42"

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 24, 2010 02:47 |  #11

hmm...old thread.

it's an old trick where you use the rubber eraser on the end of a pencil to rub off the white or green oxidation on metal (gold) contacts. essentially, it works. the problem is the rubber eraser is abrasive; so it's like taking sandpaper to the gold contacts. you'll clean the oxidation off, but you'll also leave permanent damage.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 24, 2010 08:25 |  #12

Thanks SkipD and others.
The pencil eraser method was recommended to me (at the Nikon School) a long time ago. This was for battery and contact cleaning; not lens contacts. I'll stop!
The white drafting erasers are incredible. Ever get wax on plastic trim on your car? White Staedtler eraser gets rid of it with no work at all.
Those that don't remember pencils would have real trouble visualizing an electric eraser. Used to have one handy near by drafting bench...
DaveL

Dave

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 24, 2010 10:25 |  #13

I usually use an cotton ear swab, moistened with alcohol to clean contacts.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

David ­ Yi
102 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 25, 2010 14:23 |  #14

For any issues with electrical contacts, it is best to get a purpose made cleaner/deoxidizer. Deoxit and the gold version works very, very well for intermittent contact issues. Spray a small amount to a q-tip and apply to contacts as needed. http://www.caig.com/ (external link)

Gear list: Canon 5D3, 24-105L, 100L macro, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 580EXII; Gitzo GT1541T, Gitzo GM3551, Markins Q3T.

sponsored links

3,562 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone keep a pencil eraser in their bags?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.