Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Jun 2008 (Thursday) 03:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kata DPS DR-467 First thoughts / review

goatee
"nice but dim"
5,239 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 12, 2008 03:55 |  #1

So, I've just replaced my Lowepro Compurover AW (external link) with a much more compact Kata DPS DR-467 (external link). It's a backpack with a laptop section, a day section, and the camera section at the bottom. Build quality is outstanding - it feels incredibly well built, and protective.

Weight & size is excellent - sure the bottom could be a bit more spacious, but I can still fit in my 40D with 24-70 (+ reversed hood) on, my Sigma 10-20 (+ reversed hood), Sigma 30mm (+ reversed hood), and just about my 70-200 f/4 (+ hood reversed). On top of that, there's still a bit of space for a couple of batteries and memory cards. It's a bit of a squeeze to get the 70-200 f/4 in - it's the very longest lens you can fit in the bottom section.

In the top section, there's plenty of space for other stuff - it's the same size, or larger than the top section in the Lowepro Orion Trekker. On the outside of the bag are three zipper pockets for odds and ends. There's also a slot to feed out your headphone wire, should you want to keep your music player in your bag.

As I said, the weight is excellent - the bag weighs less than 1.5kg (approx 3lb) empty, but even fully loaded, the padding is so well placed, that I find it far less tiring wearing this bag, than the Compurover it replaces.

You also get a free waterproof cover (think detachable Lowepro AW cover), and 5 year warranty, extended to a lifetime warranty on registration on the kata website (external link).

My one quibble with the bag, is that you need to be careful with it - like the Tamrac expedition bags, it's possible to get into the camera compartment with it on your back, so if carrying on public transport, beware.

Would I recommend this bag? Absolutely! Sizewise it's very close to a Lowepro Orion Trekker, but in terms of capacity, and comfort, it feels closer to a Lowepro Compurover AW - no mean feat! (photos to follow)

D7100, 50mm f/1.8, 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6, 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR, SB800
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=552906flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Deadeye008
136 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 17, 2008 13:45 |  #2

Thanks for the info! I'm really looking at getting this bag but am wondering if my 70-200 2.8L will fit in it. Sounds like it might be a bit snug if it does fit...

Hamblin Photography (external link)

goatee
THREAD ­ STARTER
"nice but dim"
5,239 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 18, 2008 03:35 |  #3

No worries :D. Nope, the f/4 only just fits in - the f/2.8 would have to either lie down (not sure that you could organise the dividers to support that, or sit in its case in the top section.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=552906flickr (external link)

johnz
529 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 19, 2008 03:34 |  #4

I just ordered DR-467

At first i almost went with the more rugged r-103, but then decided that i don't really need that much space for camera stuff only. And i think that the 467 is better because it looks more "normal" to my eye. It's also great to have some extra storage for other stuff.

Only downside in the 467, that i can think of, is that it can't hold a tripod. But well.. as they say: perfect photo bag does not exist.

- Tuomas Gustafsson
My smugmug (external link) - ( still on the works )
My gear list/ DOF calculator for Nokia phones
With Canon you can... spend all your money on glass.

goatee
THREAD ­ STARTER
"nice but dim"
5,239 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 19, 2008 03:53 |  #5

You may be able to attach a tripod - on the bottom left (when looking from back / side, there's a little pocket I just found with a net pocket which comes out, so you can probably use the straps on the front to hold it in place, and put the feet in this little pocket.

I can snap a shot of it to show you what I mean

johnz
529 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 19, 2008 05:42 |  #6

goatee wrote in post #5750540 (external link)
You may be able to attach a tripod - on the bottom left (when looking from back / side, there's a little pocket I just found with a net pocket which comes out, so you can probably use the straps on the front to hold it in place, and put the feet in this little pocket.

I can snap a shot of it to show you what I mean

I think i understand what you mean. I was looking at the smaller version of this bag in a camera shop yesterday and noticed those small pockets on the sides. I didn't open the left one though.. the right one had a bottle holder if remember correctly.
Let's see if i can fit my Feisol in some of the pockets! I can put some images here next week, unless you beat me to it :)

- Tuomas Gustafsson

goatee
THREAD ­ STARTER
"nice but dim"
5,239 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 19, 2008 05:53 |  #7

Ah, you must be right - it's about the right size to be a bottle holder - there's only one on one side. I don't have a tripod, so I can take a picture of it with a bottle in, but can't see if you can squeeze the tripod feet in :).

johnz
529 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 19, 2008 07:00 |  #8

I will let you know next week when i get my hands on one, will take some pics too. :)

- Tuomas Gustafsson

johnz
529 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 27, 2008 10:02 as a reply to  @ johnz's post |  #9

My thoughts and pictures of this sweet bag

Ok,

So i promised i would post some pics of the bag. And also to check if this bag is also capable for carrying a full sized tripod.

I got this bag today, and i am very impressed. This is really a perfect bag for me, it does it all. I can fit all my photo gear in it ( for now ) and i can also grab my laptop with me and i am still left with a whole compartment for other essentials like sunglasses, phone, key, cigarettes, light jacket, water or what ever :)
I see this as the perfect flight bag also, because it really can fit all the expensive stuff that i want to take with me and i can also carry other essentials needed on a flight. Very nice indeed, and whats best is that this bag very well made the padding is nice and it does not even look like a camerabag! Fantastic.

I promised that i will take some pics, so here it goes. And as customed here.. .i am sorry about the poor quality of the images, my DSLR was in the bag and took these with my gf's PS.

This is what i have.
Canon 40D+17-55mm
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Canon 55-250mm
Sigma 10-20mm
Canon 430ex
Laptop
Off shoe cord
raincover
Remote shutter with remote
table tripod
Feisol CF tripod
And some other small stuff like batteries, whitecard, cleaning cloth

1. Here's everything

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

2. Here's the photo stuff in the lower compartment
IMAGE NOT FOUND

3. 15" laptop fits in nicely in the back
IMAGE NOT FOUND

4. You CAN fit the tripod quite nicely on it by using the straps and the little sidepocket ( i guess it's intended to be a bottle holder ).
IMAGE NOT FOUND

5. And one from the other side
IMAGE NOT FOUND

6. Even though there is a quite nice basic photokit in there, the upper compartment is left almost completely unused. Fantastic. In the future i guess i can fit a 70-200 f/2.8 in there.. :)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

I can definately recommend this bag for someone looking for the same things as i were in a backbag. Stealth look, enough space ( but not too much ), not just for camera stuff, and very well built.

- Tuomas Gustafsson

goatee
THREAD ­ STARTER
"nice but dim"
5,239 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 27, 2008 10:16 |  #10

Ok, rather than just edit my original post, I have less gear now, but I have a quick photo with the bottom loaded.

In it is 1DM2 with 24-70 f/2.8 mounted.
Top left is Tamron 2xtc (though I'll probably replace it with my flash)
Bottom left, is full size Giotto rocket blower
Middle bottom is my CF cards
Top right is Sigma 10-20
Bottom right is empty.

The 70-200 f/4 L can just about squeeze in, but I now have a 70-200 f/2.8 which is too tall (though it fits in the center pocket, but there's no way I can fit my camera in if it's there, and it's too tall mounted on the camera) to fit in, so it sits in the top section.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sinister1
21 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 27, 2008 15:12 |  #11

Thanks for your review! i think this is the bag I want to get. I was originally looking at the Adventure 7 or 9 but this looks like a better choice. the option to carry a laptop is cool. I didn't catch it in your post but does the 55-250 mounted on the camera fit in the bottom compartment?

Ray
40D | 17-85mm | 55-250mm | 50mm 1.8 II |..

johnz
529 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 27, 2008 17:15 |  #12

sinister1 wrote in post #5804597 (external link)
Thanks for your review! i think this is the bag I want to get. I was originally looking at the Adventure 7 or 9 but this looks like a better choice. the option to carry a laptop is cool. I didn't catch it in your post but does the 55-250 mounted on the camera fit in the bottom compartment?

I am not sure who are you asking this, The OP or me, but i'll answer anyway :)

Yes, it does fit, the 55-250 is only about 0,5cm longer than the 17-55mm. But i must admit that there isn't room for any longer lens than that when mounted on the camera, well comfortably anyway!

- Tuomas Gustafsson

sinister1
21 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 27, 2008 17:29 |  #13

johnz wrote in post #5805210 (external link)
I am not sure who are you asking this, The OP or me, but i'll answer anyway :)

Yes, it does fit, the 55-250 is only about 0,5cm longer than the 17-55mm. But i must admit that there isn't room for any longer lens than that when mounted on the camera, well comfortably anyway!

Thanks! I only plan to carry 2 lenses anyway, the 55-250 and the 17-85. Looks like a great bag and its cheaper too!

Ray
40D | 17-85mm | 55-250mm | 50mm 1.8 II |..

johnz
529 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 27, 2008 17:41 |  #14

Yes it is, actually it's very cheap for a Kata bag. But of course, this one lacks the Turtles feel that most of Kata bags have :) But to me it was a good thing.. i want't to blend in to the crowd :)
I am sure you will not be dissappointed with this one, it's a nice!

And welcome to the forums :)

- Tuomas Gustafsson

ukactionsports
435 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 29, 2008 11:17 |  #15

I'm looking into purchasing this bag but i was wondering if it will hold an Apple MacBook Pro 17"... I cannot find some size specs for just the Laptop compartment. The specs i've seen say it will hold up to a 17" but i wasn't sure if that included an Apple.

Anyone know if it will fit or not?

Thanks

Tim

1D MKIII - 5D MKII - 135L - 24-105L - 70-200L 2.8 IS - 300L f4 IS - EX 580II
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

83,710 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kata DPS DR-467 First thoughts / review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.