Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 15 Jun 2008 (Sunday) 23:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Motor Cycle Road Racing - Eastern Creek 14.15 June

dicktay
603 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 15, 2008 23:32 |  #1

Hi,
Just a few from the weekend.
Honda Rjays interclub road race series. Hosted by St George MC - Eastern Creek Australia.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Thanks for looking.
Richard

sponsored links
NickR
734 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 16, 2008 03:26 |  #2

Excellent images, good to see you have caught the aggression of #97 face ! Like #3 the best.

Cheers

Nick, UK
flickr (external link)

dicktay
THREAD ­ STARTER
603 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 16, 2008 04:27 |  #3

Thanks very much, Nick.

Actionphoto
82 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 16, 2008 05:48 |  #4

Great shots. What camera and lens were you shooting with? Were you shooting from the spectator area - if so what corners were they taken at. Or are you only of the privilaged few that can get into the media area.
I am interested because I like to go to the Ducati track days.
Once again great shooting and very sharp.
Bob.

Canon 5D Mk II
EF 24-105 f4 ; EF 70-200. EF 100-400 ; EF 50 f1.8; EF 100 f2.8 macro; 580EX II; Manfrotto 055B w/488CR2 ball head; Manfrotto 680B Monopod w 234CR2 mono head; Hoya PRO Polariser, UV & ND8 filters; Kenko 1.4x Extender; EPSON 3800; Panasonic Lumix LX7.
Personalised Photograhic Tuition Courses.

dicktay
THREAD ­ STARTER
603 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 16, 2008 06:40 |  #5

Thanks, Bob.
Canon 40D with Canon 100-400 F4.5-F5.6 IS L lens mostly on a monopod unless panning or shooting from close up like near the exit of turn 3 where you don't get a lot of time to track them.

Pics 1-4 were taken from the spectator side of the fence.
1&2 at the exit of turn two 3&4 and the exit of turn 3.

Pics 5&6 were taken as they were going through turn 9. Pic 7 is coming in to turn 9. Pic 8 is looking from the inside as they are exiting turn 5 and starting to head up the hill towards turn 6.

I used to shoot with a Canon 70-300 IS, however the extra reach reach of the 400, especially for bikes, really comes in handy on most parts of the track except when panning as they come out of turn two and looking down on turn 3 where ~ 200mm is enough.

TATER64
406 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 16, 2008 06:48 |  #6

Nice and sharp shots Dick well done oh and i just love the battle scars on pic #2

Canon 40D,Wigma 10-20mm,Canon 50mm F1.8 MkII, Canon EF-S 18-55MM IS,Canon 24-105mmL IS USM,Canon 70-200mm L IS F/4, Hoya CPL,Lowepro sling shot 200 back pack,Naneu Pro UrbanGear U60 Backpack
Spud
Flickr (external link) Photos

Actionphoto
82 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 16, 2008 07:02 |  #7

Thanks for the info Dick. You must have carefully considered the position of the sun and planned your day around it as the shots are well lit. I had trouble finding suitable sunny locations when I was there on May 31.
Did you have to use the lens at its max 400mm?
Bob.

Canon 5D Mk II
EF 24-105 f4 ; EF 70-200. EF 100-400 ; EF 50 f1.8; EF 100 f2.8 macro; 580EX II; Manfrotto 055B w/488CR2 ball head; Manfrotto 680B Monopod w 234CR2 mono head; Hoya PRO Polariser, UV & ND8 filters; Kenko 1.4x Extender; EPSON 3800; Panasonic Lumix LX7.

dicktay
THREAD ­ STARTER
603 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 16, 2008 08:12 |  #8

@ Tater 64
Thanks. I didn't even notice it when shooting.

@Actionphoto
Saturday, pics-1-4, was sunny for a few hours in the morning.
That is when I normally shoot around Turn 2 and then move around to turn 12, at the top of the straight, in the late afternoon. Turn 7 can be reasonable in the late morning as well.
However it came over cloudy, which I prefer because of the even lighting, about 11 o'clock so it was mainly turn 2 and turn 12. However being a practice day there was not a lot of close action so it was a great oportunity to practice panning shots etc. Only saw one other photographer all day. If you do have the oportunity to shoot from the inside of the track then turn 3 (possibly) , 5, 8 & 9 would be good in the morning and turn 7 in the afternoon.

Sunday was overcast almost all of the day, with the sun only peeking through a few times, so it made the light soft and even so you could shoot from anywhere and in any direction, which makes things a lot easier, and not worry about the harsh contrasty lighting you normally get on a bright sunny day.

Always think about the sun no matter where you are able to shoot from. Sometimes you can't do much about it, depending on the action, but you still think about it.

Here is an example where the "rules" were broken. Looking west, from the spectator side of the fence, late in the afternoon, towards turn 11 at a drifting event (the smoke is burning rubber)

IMAGE: http://richardtaylor.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p280105049-4.jpg

Re the lens.
For bikes, almost always at 400mm or there abouts, except for the shots as mentioned above and similar. It doesn't matter where you are shooting from. A friend of mine used just a Canon 400mm prime for 95% of his shots. He didn't do any panning shots.

My Flickr motorcycle shots, all at Eastern Creek, most with EXIF info is here.

http://www.flickr.com …0/sets/72157603​852256100/ (external link)

There are also drag and car racing pics, most at Eastern creek, on my flickr stream as well. The latter ones all have EXIF info.

Actionphoto
82 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 17, 2008 08:05 |  #9

hi Dick,
Thanks for all the info, you have been a great help.
how do you manage to get on the inside of the track. Do you have accreditation or something like that.
Hope to catch up with you some day down there.
Heres a few a took at the creek on May 31st.
Both taken at top of main straight.
Cheers
Bob.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D Mk II

dicktay
THREAD ­ STARTER
603 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 17, 2008 15:08 |  #10

They are good shots. You can see why 400mm or even longer would be good, no matter where you are.

Re track access: Not in a position to say much however, this is what I have observed.

Who sees your pics?
Do they like them? Members of a club, team or organisation?
Do they want more or from different angles?
Do existing photographer need help to get pics, either when shooting or when they can't make it to a track or event?
Are there any photographers shooting at small local events or practice days?
Can you make the commitment in time & equipment (including backup camera & lenses) and in all weather conditions, when shooting and afterward?

I will keep an eye out for you and I am almost always shooting from the spectator side of the fence.
Richard

sponsored links

1,651 views & 0 likes for this thread
Motor Cycle Road Racing - Eastern Creek 14.15 June
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.