Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 16 Jun 2008 (Monday) 23:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moon / Eyepiece Projection

sporadic
559 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 16, 2008 23:08 |  #1

Pulled out my old 8" Dobsonian, cleaned the mirror, and slapped my XSi on it. Actually, the whole telescope has been in my closet for the past 8 years since seeing conditions aren't that great where I live. First problem I ran into was focusing issues (couldn't rack in far enough). A little work on the barrel of my eyepiece in the lathe took care of that though. Conditions where fighting me tonight with lots of clouds blowing around. Hopefully it'll be clear tomorrow night.

Frankly, I'm not very pleased with the quality of this image. It looked alot sharper in the camera :cry: For one, i need to collimate the mirrors in my scope. Secondly, I'm on a dobsonian mount so shaking could be a factor. I'm curious as to the luck others have with doing eyepiece projection though. Image quality, etc.. I wanted to do some prime focusing, but will have to make some modifications to my focuser first (won't rack in far enough). I know ideally I should have something on an equatorial mount (like another reflector or cassegrain), but I'm just looking to improve upon the tools I already have.
thanks!
-shelby

8" Celestron Dobsonian
1220mm - f/6
25mm Celestron eyepiece in an Orion Universal adapter
ISO 400 - 1/50sec

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Fuji X-T1 | X-T2 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 50-140 | Rokinon 8/2.8II Fisheye | Rokinon 12/2
7D | 300/4 L IS

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 17, 2008 03:35 |  #2

I've not had any luck with EP Astrophotography, so not sure what to say. Things look great when I look through the EP myself, but as soon as I put the EP in an adapter and hook it up to the camera, it just comes out soft. Not blurry, just not sharp. I guess using a webcam and taking a video, or taking multiple frames with the DSLR, and then stacking the lot, might make things sharper?

Otherwise, I think your image is pretty good actually. :)

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 17, 2008 09:59 |  #3

Nice shot Shelby. Collimation, seeing conditions and wind all top the checklist for achieving critical focus. Also be sure to dial in your camera's viewfinder dioptric setting to suit your vision. I've found the Canon Anglefinder C(or similar models) to work well for easier focus on the Moon. There are some nights when critical focus at such high focal length will be near impossible due to atmospheric turbulence. It helps to bracket exposures and shoot a bunch of frames. There will be moments of calm in the seeing conditions and if you shoot enough frames you'll have a better chance of catching those moments.

Shooting afocal is more challenging than prime focus due in part to the fact that you've introduced addtional glass to the light path. Consequently image quality will be effected by the quality of that glass. I shot though some Plossls when I got started in this hobby and managed some nice shots through my refractor(no tracking). With practice and the right conditions you'll get the sharp shots you're after.

For pime focus work I went with a Moonlight to achieve focus with my Newtonian. It'll take a lower profile unit like the Moonlight for your scope to reach focus with a DSLR. These focusers have a 10:1 fine focus adjustment which helps a lot with those final focus tweaks.

Hey I just realized we're practically neighbors, just up the coast.

Great work, keep 'em coming.

NH

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

sporadic
THREAD ­ STARTER
559 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 18, 2008 08:32 |  #4

Thanks for the feedback! I went out and tried again last night using my prime focal adapter directly into a 2x Barlow which allowed me to focus. The seeing conditions where horrible though with the moon shimmering like crazy in my viewfinder. In the end, the results weren't any better than the above shot. I've never thought to check the diopter adjustment as I don't wear glasses and have never adjusted it. I checked into those Moonlight focusers that you mentioned too, Steve. Pretty nice stuff! Right now I'm re-thinking my whole telescope setup and debating on either selling it and purchasing a smaller cassegrain (more portability = more usage for me) or converting it to an equatorial mount with a new focuser. The 8" Dob is great until you have to tote it around in a 4 door sedan :confused: Also, we just don't have the deep dark skies here like where I use to live so the deep sky coolness of hopping around with a big fast dob just isn't what it use to be :(

So... with the clouds rolling in, I opted to take the 50 f/1.4 out on the tripod. The moon's completely blown out, but I was going for the moon lighting the clouds and not the moon itself. Taken around 11PM EST. Thanks for looking!
-shelby

Full images w/ exif intact here: http://www.uldum.org/p​logger/?level=album&id​=4 (external link)

1. ISO 100 - 1sec - f/1.4

IMAGE NOT FOUND

1. ISO 100 - 30sec - f/11
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Fuji X-T1 | X-T2 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 50-140 | Rokinon 8/2.8II Fisheye | Rokinon 12/2
7D | 300/4 L IS

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,248 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moon / Eyepiece Projection
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.