Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Jun 2008 (Thursday) 23:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to: Replace broken 580ex flash tube

Rellik
720 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 19, 2008 23:18 |  #1

Recently at a wedding, I was sitting down for dinner and had placed my camera on the chair next to me. The 580ex was attached to it along with the CP-E3. Of course, the CP-E3 was attached to me, so when I got up, the camera and flash took a short tumble. Took a quick look at it and found the hot shoe mount have cracked. Had a 430ex with me, so I just threw that on and worried about it later.

Got home and the next day, found the 580ex wouldn't fire. After some searching, I figured the flash tube has cracked during the fall. I came across this article on fixing the 550ex:

http://home.fuse.net/p​ets/EOS/550EX/550ex.ht​m (external link)

There were also cross section diagrams for the 550ex in PDFs, but none for the 580ex. The 580ex shouldn't be too different. So I called Canon US parts and had them look up the part for me. Apparently, they don't sell the flash tube separately anymore. Only with the reflector assembly and wiring. I checked with two reps to be sure. Here is the part number:

CY2-4135-000 - Holder Assembly, Main Lamp

Thankfully, the cost was only 30.78 + shipping. The 550ex tube was quoted on the above link for $12, so it wasn't too much. And also I don't have to do any soldering whatsoever. Anyways, here is the new unit.

IMAGE: http://www.generationphotography.ca/potn/580ex/580ex-01.jpg

Disassembly of the head is quite easy. Lift the rubber stickers and it will reveal 4 screws on each side. Remove those. There are also 2 more screws on the flash head. Take those off.

IMAGE: http://www.generationphotography.ca/potn/580ex/580ex-03.jpg

Now you will be slide one half of the housing off. The other half is attached with two screws that you will need to remove. Here is what it looks like with both sides off. There are still wires attached to one side for the wide panel diffuser sensor. I just left it on.

IMAGE: http://www.generationphotography.ca/potn/580ex/580ex-09.jpg

The lamp assembly is held on only by screw (1). Once remove, that black piece will come off as well. There is a spring and holder under (2), so make sure you don't lose that. The spring is used to push the holder down which has a nub on the end that goes into the rails that zooms the head. Also I found it necessary to remove screws (3) so that the lamp assembly could be released.

IMAGE: http://www.generationphotography.ca/potn/580ex/580ex-10.jpg

Take note of how the wires are placed in (1). There is an extra wire, that you find in (2). It is for some sensor, and you will need to detach that and place it on the new one.

IMAGE: http://www.generationphotography.ca/potn/580ex/580ex-12.jpg

Here is a close up. As you can see, (1) goes inside (2). But inside (2), there is also part (3) and (4). Not sure what they are, but (3) is on the bottom, then (4) goes on top, then (1) is inserted into (2).

IMAGE: http://www.generationphotography.ca/potn/580ex/580ex-13.jpg

You will need to loosen the PCB from the white housing by removing the two screws below. You need to do this to route the connector that you see in the first picture to the outside. Also, there are tape that holds the PCB down, so you will need to lift those to get it loose.

IMAGE: http://www.generationphotography.ca/potn/580ex/580ex-14.jpg

Now reattach everything and you should be set. I replaced my shoe mount as well and that was a piece of cake. In case you want the part number, it is: CY2-1227-000 @ $3.50 each.

Here you can see my old lamp assembly. Clearly, the middle has cracked along with some micro cracks around it. As you can see, the white rubber part is ripped. White taking it apart, I found the rubber there has melted to the flash tube. Making it impossible to remove without damaging that part. So, if you are able to just get the flash tube separately, you will need to get that rubber part as well. On the right is the broken shoe which I fixed with some super glue. It is actually quite stable after fixing, but it is only $3.50 for the part to replace, so why not.

IMAGE: http://www.generationphotography.ca/potn/580ex/580ex-16.jpg

Disclaimer: Just a word of warning. The capacitors in the flash can hold its charge for a LONG time. And you can get a HUGE shock from it. You should google how to discharge them. I left the flash empty for 2 weeks, and I still got 2 tiny discharge which I felt.

Canon US Part Order number: (732) 521-7230

Everything is in perfect working order now. Very happy with it, and took about an hour to fix. Well worth the savings since Canon wants 100+ to fix.

-Derek 40D, 5D, 5D MK II, 1D Mark III
35L, 50L, 85L, 17-40L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200 F2.8L IS
Vancouver Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 19, 2008 23:44 |  #2

What a well organized, generous and thoughtful post.

Thank you.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 20, 2008 07:25 |  #3

Nice post :)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Alexajlex
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 20, 2008 07:30 |  #4

Good info and a very detailed tutorial.

Gear: 40D | XTi gripped | 85 1.8 | 50 1.8 | Sigma 20 1.8 | Canon 55-250 IS | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Canon WD-58 WA Converter | 580EX II | Sunpak 383

"Amateurs worry about equipment, pros worry about money, masters worry about light..."

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 20, 2008 07:44 |  #5

Fantastic tutorial - I'll be referring to this should mine ever go.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,400 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 20, 2008 20:10 |  #6

Very nicely done. Great info to have. Thank you.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

SolidxSnake
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 15, 2008 10:52 |  #7

Nice post. I love how Canon will sell OEM parts to pretty much all of their cameras and accessories with no questions asked, and for DIRT cheap.

Troubleshooting 101 (see also: LightRules,perryge):
1) RTFM.
2) Repeat Step 1.

Gear ~ DeviantART (external link) ~ My Heatware (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 15, 2008 19:25 |  #8

Excellent tutorial! Thank you for posting this!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

paten
311 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 16, 2008 02:17 |  #9

nice,... thx for sharing this tutorial bookmarked :)

Canon 5Dc | 15FE | Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ZE | 35L | 85LII | 135L | 70-200L 2.8II | 580EXII | 430EX | PW flextt5(2) & tt1 | EL RRX Speed AS | DA (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Portofolio (external link)

Hatch1921
Cream of the Crop
7,375 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 16, 2008 08:44 |  #10

Many thanks for the post. I have a dead 430ex sitting on my desk... the tube is broken. DId you order through Canon or another outfit?

Thanks,
Hatch

MAIN SITE (external link)
Great site to buy gear through and save some money. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Greentoe.com (external link)

Rellik
THREAD ­ STARTER
720 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 16, 2008 18:26 |  #11

Thanks guys. I ordered directly through Canon. They just take your orders no question asked and is quite helpful. Also, it is probably the cheapest since there is no middle man involved.

-Derek 40D, 5D, 5D MK II, 1D Mark III
35L, 50L, 85L, 17-40L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200 F2.8L IS
Vancouver Wedding Photographer (external link)

jlozano180
774 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 17, 2008 20:18 |  #12

Great post, thanks for the info

Links: flickr (external link)/ Gear List

Jose

Chris&jess
322 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 10, 2008 23:14 |  #13

Well, I just did finish repair of one of our 580's with the help of this thread. Mine broke when the wind blew over a light stand during an outdoor fashion shoot. Thankfully, It now works like a charm. I want to add though, that this is a fairly difficult repair.
You will need a very good and very small screwdriver set. I found my phillips wasn't quite small enough. Also, you will need to do this work is a very well lit area as the parts are TINY. The screws are so small you will need to set them in place during reassembly using a small set of needle nose pliers.
And, You will need a little bit of rubber cement that isn't mentioned. On photo #6, the little seeing eye item #1 goes into the socket #2. This has a little dab of flexible cement to keep it there as it doesn't really snap into place, but just sort of "fits" into it. You may need to do this repair again some day, so don't use crazy glue or such. Just dab a little dab in one side after you insert it.
Anyway, this repair is doable, but will be a test of your mettle. I'm an engineer, adept at this sort of thing, had an erector set when I was a kid, and I can walk and chew at the same time. I was really thrilled when I found the tiny thingy that flung out of there, and even more thrilled when I got done.
Oh, I almost forgot, plan on getting shocked a lot. I did my repair three weeks after I broke it, and I got zapped plenty.
Chris

5D-M3, 5D-M2, (2)580 EX-II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 24-70 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/4L, 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, EF 1.4x II extender, Manfrotto 3021 BN w/ 488RC2 ballhead, (4) pocket wizards, Sekonic L-758DR, (4)Avenger A5029, (1) Avenger A5036CS, Aperture, photoshop CS5, (4)Elinchrom 600RX, Skyport, EL Octa, EL strip, Midi octa, Deep octa, (2)Speedo 22 w/grids, maxi-Spot, think-tank luggage, and Apple all the way www.HannaandCo.com (external link)

JMHPhotography
Goldmember
4,784 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 11, 2008 14:10 |  #14

I have done the SAME thing. Fortunately, all I broke was the hot shoe itself, and that was also an easy fix. I've also forgotton to secure the flash to the light stand and watched it fall and hit the driveway pavement. The zoom head would just click and not work, but it still flashed, I took it apart and fixed it but got zapped just like you did... haha. Wow that smarts!

Nice tutorial... I'm sure I'll need it at some point.

~John

(aka forkball)
Have a peek into my Gearbag. and My flickr (external link)
editing of my photos by permission only. Thanks

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,341 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 09, 2008 07:01 |  #15

What a great tutorial. I am bookmarking just in case somewhere down the line I need to replace a bulb.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

92,380 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to: Replace broken 580ex flash tube
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.