Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Jun 2008 (Thursday) 23:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DIY Tilt & Shift lens with AF confirmation

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,893 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 20, 2008 12:23 |  #16

scottda wrote in post #5759403 (external link)
Looks like a homemade Lensbaby (external link)

Adjustability, but without the control of the Lensbaby.

BTW, for those who wonder about the optics from Bronica, they have been compared very favorably with the famed Hasselblad optics. Bronica and Hasselblad are two of the top used cameras for wedding photography because of their great optics and the use of leaf shutters which permit the huge medium format frame to have good flash sync speeds of 1/500 (to impress upon everyone the significance of this capability, even the small Canon FF camera is limited to 1/200 unless electronic tricks are played with the sensor electronics, while the even smaller APS-C enjoys 1/250)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
JDubya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 20, 2008 12:25 |  #17

René Damkot wrote in post #5759358 (external link)
Would be nice to try this with a MF lens... That way you could even retain infinity focus.

BTW: I agree with the "Samples!" crowd :p

? This is a MF lens and it does retain infinity focus. You focus by adjusting the distance between the lens and sensor.

You could also call it a DIY lensbaby which is just a more flexible T&S.

Like I said, the test pic is nothing special but it's all I have at the moment

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …akerPhreaker/TS​_HOUSE.jpg (external link)

JDubya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 20, 2008 12:27 |  #18

4g63photo wrote in post #5759370 (external link)
So with that setup, you have to manually focus, hold the camera, then hold the lens just right? Im assuming it has to be tripod mounted? Please post some images when you get the chance. I have been looking to do this until I can buy a TSE. Thanks.

You're making it sound more difficult than it really is. You handhold the camera and then with your left hand instead of turning rings to focus or zoom you just move the lens around until you see the effect you like.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,893 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 20, 2008 12:30 |  #19

JDubya wrote in post #5759522 (external link)
You're making it sound more difficult than it really is. You handhold the camera and then with your left hand instead of turning rings to focus or zoom you just move the lens around until you see the effect you like.

I would love to see the same subject (like a building or tree), where you point the lens into the 4 primary directions just to see the different perspectives (u/d/l/r). Sounds cool, how much more area does that lens cover with its projected image (43x55) than something like the APS-C sensor (??x??) ?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Wilt
43,893 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 20, 2008 12:37 |  #20

TeamSpeed wrote in post #5759539 (external link)
Sounds cool, how much more area does that lens cover with its projected image (43x55) than something like the APS-C sensor (??x??) ?

Like I stated earlier, the Bronica 75mm lens is designed to cover a 43mm x 55mm frame of the 645 format. Getting a puny 15mm x 22mm from that image circle is what permits the 75mm Bronica to be used for TSE in a homemade Lensbaby equivalent.

One wonders about the aperture control of the lens, however, as the Bronica ordinarily has some pins and levers that link mechanically to the body, to control stop-down of the auto diaphram?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,893 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 20, 2008 12:40 |  #21

So there is only a 14-15mm shift in about any direction before you vignette. Doesn't sound like much, but it probably makes a huge difference in perspective in the end.

Good question on the pins, maybe you can "jam" it into a needed aperture beforehand, or just shoot wide open?

I think this represents the two different sizes, if I did it correctly. I like visuals! ;)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Wilt
43,893 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 20, 2008 12:51 |  #22

TeamSpeed wrote in post #5759615 (external link)
So there is only a 14-15mm shift in about any direction before you vignette. Doesn't sound like much, but it probably makes a huge difference in perspective in the end.

Good question on the pins, maybe you can "jam" it into a needed aperture beforehand, or just shoot wide open?

I use DOF preview so infrequenty, I need to pick up my Bronica to remember how to stop down the lens for DOF preview! The DOF preview button is on the body, so it has to actuate someone mechanically on the lens as a result of pushing that control. I think I do recall that a chrome pin protrudes and the control pushes in that pin to stop down the diaphram.

JDubya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 20, 2008 12:54 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #23

To stop down all you have to do is push a small silver wedge-shaped lever on the lens (which you can see toward the bottom of the first pic, just below the aperture ring). I first tried using a screw to lock the lever in the down position so i could change aperture and not worry about stopping down before the shot but it was just too dark in the viewfinder. So now I just use the stop-down lever.

and FYI, i believe the Canon TS-E lenses shift 11mm.

Wilt
43,893 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 20, 2008 13:01 |  #24

JDubya wrote in post #5759686 (external link)
To stop down all you have to do is push a small silver wedge-shaped lever on the lens (which you can see toward the bottom of the first pic, just below the aperture ring). .

I forgot about that control...I (duh) was thinking about the lens release button on the body!

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 20, 2008 13:02 |  #25

JDubya, I think you sell yourself short in your description of your test pic, it looks pretty good. I like that effect, that makes you think you're looking at a little model. Well done on your ingenuity!

Mark.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,893 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 20, 2008 13:09 |  #26

Madweasel wrote in post #5759723 (external link)
JDubya, I think you sell yourself short in your description of your test pic, it looks pretty good. I like that effect, that makes you think you're looking at a little model. Well done on your ingenuity!

Can't see it here at work, our wonderful filters remove images from photobucket, flickr, etc. This stinks, I can't see it until I get home. :(

EDIT: never mind, I used the upload image from URL feature during the edit of my post, and was able to see it that way, very interesting effect!

zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,006 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 20, 2008 13:26 |  #27

awesome job, I saw one of these made with a toilet plunger (seriously...Ewwww!) anyhow, it worked just like this, but the whole shock boot think gets my vote!! good job!

http://www.theanimalha​ven.com (external link)
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hy (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​s (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 20, 2008 15:47 |  #28

JDubya wrote in post #5759503 (external link)
? This is a MF lens and it does retain infinity focus.

Whoops...
I saw "practica" and "M42", but missed "Bronica" and the obvious "Zenzanon" in the image :o

Ignore ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

RowdyReptile
235 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 20, 2008 15:56 |  #29

Madweasel wrote in post #5759723 (external link)

I'm not quite sure why, but the out-of-focus areas generated by a tilt-shift lens often make you think you're looking at a miniature.
See: http://www.flickr.com …8495587/in/pool​-tiltshift (external link)

There's a bunch of flickr groups devoted to faked (in Photoshop) images of this type as well.
see: http://www.flickr.com/​groups/tilt-shift-fakes/ (external link)

6D, 50D
24-105L, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm macro, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 10-22mm, Speedlite 580EX II (2). Flickr (external link)

Wilt
43,893 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 20, 2008 16:01 |  #30

RowdyReptile wrote in post #5760691 (external link)
I'm not quite sure why, but the out-of-focus areas generated by a tilt-shift lens often make you think you're looking at a miniature./ (external link)

Thru 'misused' of the plane of focus. In large format photography the plane of focus is often adjusted so that it is close to the plane of the ground, so that you have 'super deep DOF'. If instead, you tilt the plane of focus in the opposite direction, to 'super shallow DOF', you hit upon the 'miniature' look

sponsored links

20,576 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY Tilt & Shift lens with AF confirmation
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.