Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Jun 2008 (Thursday) 23:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DIY Tilt & Shift lens with AF confirmation

RowdyReptile
235 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 20, 2008 16:09 |  #31

Wilt wrote in post #5760722 (external link)
Thru 'misused' of the plane of focus. In large format photography the plane of focus is often adjusted so that it is close to the plane of the ground, so that you have 'super deep DOF'. If instead, you tilt the plane of focus in the opposite direction, to 'super shallow DOF', you hit upon the 'miniature' look

But still.. why is it that the super shallow DOF tricks our eyes into thinking it's miniature? Take this photo for instance:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

There's no frame of reference but it looks miniature.

Or this one..

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2593725820_d5baf20a17.jpg?v=0
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …in/pool-tilt-shift-fakes/  (external link)

My theory is that if that were really a model of Rome and our head was right in there above the town, we'd focus our eyes on one thing and the rest would be out of focus. If it were the real city and we were in a helicopter, basically everything would be in the same focus.. our eyes can't distinguish between 100 yards and 200 yards the same way they do between 1" and 2". Does that sound right?

*photos aren't mine, and both are faked tilt/shift. Click to get to their original flickr pages.

6D, 50D
24-105L, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm macro, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 10-22mm, Speedlite 580EX II (2). Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,893 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 20, 2008 16:30 |  #32

Look closely...not far from the point of focus, both 'farther' and 'closer' our brains are expecting progressively increasing loss of focus. Instead the falloff in sharpness of focus is very very steep. Our brains are not accustomed to seeing things in this way, so it interprets it in the only way it knows....if I am very very close to something (in a miniature) my depth of focus falls off very rapidly.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 20, 2008 18:17 |  #33

Wilt describes a very interesting cognitive quirk, one that makes T+S imagery so fascinating. It really highlights that it is the brain that sees, not the eye, and vast amounts of interpretation occur before recognition does. Some of the more major processing is done so well, that we very seldom are aware of it: the initial retinal image is upside-down; much beyond the foveal region, our vision is terribly soft; our peripheral perception of colour is very poor; and we have blind spots (unlike octopusses) that are filled in by interpolation.

One other cool quirk, more a perceptive one than a cognitive one, is that we can actually directly detect light polarisation, like bees! It's subtle, but it's there. If you have an LCD monitor, look at a white part of the display and if you see a very pale yellow dumbbell about 15 mm long, that's due to the polarisation. Some can see this in the sky, but I've had no success so far.

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,224 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 20, 2008 18:40 |  #34

Wilt wrote in post #5760869 (external link)
Look closely...not far from the point of focus, both 'farther' and 'closer' our brains are expecting progressively increasing loss of focus. Instead the falloff in sharpness of focus is very very steep. Our brains are not accustomed to seeing things in this way, so it interprets it in the only way it knows....if I am very very close to something (in a miniature) my depth of focus falls off very rapidly.

I believe this is the correct explanation. It works from our expectations in photography too. A normal lens would not show such a tiny depth of field in a scene like that unless it were very close up, which logically suggests it must be very small. It's an intriguing effect.

Mark.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 20, 2008 18:51 |  #35

i totally feel like an idiot...i thought it was a sample pic of a miniature ...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

bagtagsell
602 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 20, 2008 21:28 |  #36

how much did this setup run?

Mark Ryan Photography (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Gear List

JDubya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 20, 2008 22:44 |  #37

bagtagsell wrote in post #5762071 (external link)
how much did this setup run?

Bronica 75mm f/2.8 lens: $32 (ebay)
M42 extension tube set: $12 (ebay - roxsen)
Shock boot: $5 (local 4x4 shop)

(I already had the M42 -> EOS adapter)

Cheaper than a lensbaby and with better glass, I'm happy with it.

Azzure_7
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 21, 2008 17:13 |  #38

JDubya wrote in post #5762399 (external link)
Bronica 75mm f/2.8 lens: $32 (ebay)
M42 extension tube set: $12 (ebay - roxsen)
Shock boot: $5 (local 4x4 shop)

(I already had the M42 -> EOS adapter)

Cheaper than a lensbaby and with better glass, I'm happy with it.

So, the m42(eos adapter and m42 extension tube is 2 different things right?

Just want to make sure, M42 extension tube set ---->http://cgi.ebay.com …3A12&_trksid=p3​286.c0.m14 (external link)

And M42 Eos adapter-----> http://cgi.ebay.com …3A12&_trksid=p3​286.c0.m14 (external link)

flickr (external link)

JDubya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 21, 2008 17:28 |  #39

Azzure_7 wrote in post #5766118 (external link)
So, the m42(eos adapter and m42 extension tube is 2 different things right?

Just want to make sure, M42 extension tube set ---->http://cgi.ebay.com …3A12&_trksid=p3​286.c0.m14 (external link)

And M42 Eos adapter-----> http://cgi.ebay.com …3A12&_trksid=p3​286.c0.m14 (external link)

That'll work but if you want to have the AF confirmation work you need to get an M42 to EOS adapter with a chip. Like this one (external link)

MattD
944 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 21, 2008 17:36 |  #40

im going to try this, iv wanted a TS for a while (dont need one, just want one) but this is a cool and cheap way of having a go.

One question....
Whats exactly is "shock boot", Iv looked on ebay.co.uk for it, but nothing comes up, i wonder if it has another name in the uk?

And...are there any other makes/lenses other than the Bronica 75mm that i might be able to buy in the uk, and not import from the states?...or will any M42 mount lens work?

Flickr (external link).
500PX (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

John_TX
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 21, 2008 17:41 |  #41

Madweasel wrote in post #5759723 (external link)
JDubya, I think you sell yourself short in your description of your test pic, it looks pretty good. I like that effect, that makes you think you're looking at a little model. Well done on your ingenuity!

Oh dang! I thought that was a model!

5D4 | 5D3 | 16-35 f4 IS | 24-105 f4 IS | 70-200 f4 IS | 100-400 II | Sigma 20 f/1.4 ART | Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART | EF 1.4x III | EF 2x II | 430EX II |

JDubya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 21, 2008 17:56 |  #42

MattD wrote in post #5766220 (external link)
im going to try this, iv wanted a TS for a while (dont need one, just want one) but this is a cool and cheap way of having a go.

One question....
Whats exactly is "shock boot", Iv looked on ebay.co.uk for it, but nothing comes up, i wonder if it has another name in the uk?

And...are there any other makes/lenses other than the Bronica 75mm that i might be able to buy in the uk, and not import from the states?...or will any M42 mount lens work?

You can use any lens that is MEDIUM FORMAT (or larger), just check ebay. The only things you need in M42 are the extension tubes and the adapter. The lens can be from any mount it just has to be from a format larger than the camera you plan to use it on.

The shock boots I got were made by Pro Comp. Summit has them but I'm not sure if they ship to the UK. http://store.summitrac​ing.com …5+302289+115&au​toview=sku (external link)

A quick google search yielded this UK based site, don't know if it'll be of help though http://www.explorerpro​comp.co.uk …ShocksDampers_E​S3000.html (external link)

John_TX wrote in post #5766236 (external link)
Oh dang! I thought that was a model!

haha, maybe I shouldn't be so hard on my photos. I was hoping to give it that model look and it looks like it worked!

MattD
944 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 21, 2008 18:00 |  #43

got it, cheers JDubya

Flickr (external link).
500PX (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

John_TX
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 21, 2008 20:29 as a reply to  @ MattD's post |  #44

JDubya, all of the shots look like models. I'd say you did a really nice job capturing that affect.

5D4 | 5D3 | 16-35 f4 IS | 24-105 f4 IS | 70-200 f4 IS | 100-400 II | Sigma 20 f/1.4 ART | Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART | EF 1.4x III | EF 2x II | 430EX II |

JDubya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 21, 2008 20:32 |  #45

John_TX wrote in post #5766907 (external link)
JDubya, all of the shots look like models. I'd say you did a really nice job capturing that affect.

Thanks, but the shots on this page aren't mine and I believe those were faked in PS.

sponsored links

20,572 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY Tilt & Shift lens with AF confirmation
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.