Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 20 Jun 2008 (Friday) 05:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Blackbird

broadcast_techie
180 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 20, 2008 05:54 |  #1

A quick opportunity arose as I was preparing to go out snapping:

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/2593874698_a427556c13_b_d.jpg
This was taken through the front room window, as you can see I've spent some time on the PP as I felt the original below was a bit flat... Although I'm not sure I've done much to improve that!
original:
IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2084/2594335459_f6d71972e2_b_d.jpg

sponsored links
canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 20, 2008 12:50 |  #2

Without the glass would have been much better, but I do love your photogenic blackbirds over there. Close relatives to our Robins. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,190 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 20, 2008 13:09 |  #3

We get a nice lot of BB in our garden ~ we actually seem to have a back garden pair and a front garden pair. And every year they have at least one brood.

Your PPing in my opinion has lost the right look the original has the 'right' colours (IMO they are not "red") though as you say lacks something. If you allow editing I have my take on it that just maybe shows what a female BB looks like if the lack of contrast is attended to and sharpened that little bit.

And Mitch as for your Robins!!!! Only we have the "the Robin redbreast" in the UK :lol:

PS Edit - I just realised this is your third post, so welcome to POTN. It is a great community and though I have not yet made any SE UK POTN meets do mossey over to the thread and look in here https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=410815

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 20, 2008 15:24 |  #4

I almost said it WAS a robin....:)

Welcome to the Bird-Brain subforum. :)

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Photo Gallery (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Writing&Poetry (external link)
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 20, 2008 16:16 |  #5

Well, it is a thrush. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 20, 2008 16:25 |  #6

Maybe it's a Ferruginous Hawk?

:)

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Photo Gallery (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Writing&Poetry (external link)
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,190 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 20, 2008 17:08 |  #7

canonloader wrote in post #5760784 (external link)
Well, it is a thrush. :)

Mitch, I think you are onto something as to its ID. But IMO It is still a little vague. Here is an mature female BB I took I think in 2006 (it is amazing how easy it is to forget or cease to notice things like the pale Yellow beak on the female - note though I have some images of a BB fledgling it shows a yellowing beak so I am not sure if the immature feamle has a dark beak like the OP's image) followed by a Thrush of which Song or Mistle I was never 100% sure as the characteristics to a degree are a little of each.

The OP's bird may be an immature Mistle Thrush or maybe an immature female BB but the length of the tail feathers suggest a bird quite close to maturity. Edit:- if you look here http://www.thisbrighto​n.co.uk/culture-wildlife.htm (external link) and scroll down about half way there are a couple immature BB images witha dark beak ??? I think I will stick my opinion that the OP has shown us an immature BB.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)

broadcast_techie
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 21, 2008 09:33 |  #8

Hi all, thanks for your kind replies, Box Brownie, will check out the tread, thanks!

The more I look at the two pics the more I prefer the original out of the camera, I think the flatness is due to the window as you say. Please feel free to edit the pic and post back.

After much debate with my mum, who immediately said it was a thrush, we've settled on it being a blackbird, the breast is not speckled enough to be a thrush...

Thanks all, Kris

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 21, 2008 09:42 |  #9

A Thrush is a "family" of birds. Black Birds and American Robins are both thrushes.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Turdus (external link)

The true thrushes are medium-sized mostly insectivorous or omnivorous birds in the genus Turdus of the thrush family Turdidae.
The genus has a cosmopolitan distribution, with species in the Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia. Several species have also colonised some oceanic islands, and two species have been introduced to New Zealand. Most, but not all, are Old World species; several of the New World species are called robins rather than thrushes. Several species are migratory.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,190 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 21, 2008 09:58 |  #10

Hi Kris & Mitch

Kris, I remain convinced that what you shown is an immature BB ~ oddly and delightfully a short while ago we saw our back garden male BB feeding such a juvenille with a darker beak.

However here is my PPing of your original bearing in mind that this has been done on the web sized one you posted. I adjusted the levels a little and cut the haze using USM LCE settings and finally just a little extra sharpening but I have introduced or revealed some noise in the darker areas.

HOSTED PHOTO

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 21, 2008 10:01 |  #11

I think it is a juvie also. All the thrushes I have seen have the speckled breast. But the beak is a dead giveaway. Nothing else but a thrush has that particular shaped beak. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

sponsored links

1,293 views & 0 likes for this thread
Blackbird
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.