Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Jun 2008 (Friday) 09:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Low ambient light party

shutter_blitz
308 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 20, 2008 09:09 |  #1

I volunteered to shoot a party for a friend of mine.

I checked out the venue yesterday. The hall has a nice low ceiling and the walls are not obstructed by anything that will get in the way of my flash, so I have ample surface to bounce my flash off. The wallpaper is not dark either.

The ambient light at the party is going to be low and soft to create a cozy and comfortable ambience. I want to capture this ambience instead of using my flash to flood the entire image with light, which would be a misrepresentation of the atmosphere at the party. I did a low light party in the past at my place with a handheld fifty.
Since I have the nifty fifty and a tripod, I feel I can capture the atmosphere at the party. I want to stay true to the mood of the party and not underexpose. One of the downsides would be a shallow DOF.

Any comments, thoughts?

Gear:
Canon 50D
EF 50mm f1.4 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
Sunpak 383
Quantaray QSX-9500

sponsored links
Zansho
"I'd kill for a hot pink 40D"
2,546 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 20, 2008 09:20 |  #2

Drag your shutter and bounce your flash accordingly. Your shutter speed is the controller conduit for how much ambient light enters the exposure, while your aperture controls the exposure of the flash.

This is something that's also covered comprehensively in Curtis' stickies, do a quick search (I'm too lazy atm) and you'll find some great info there.

http://www.michaeljsam​aripa.com (external link) creating beautiful images for myself, my clients, and the world. Shooting with a mix of Canon, Fuji, and Sony.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 20, 2008 09:21 |  #3

Have a read here (external link) for some tips.
Use high ISO, and forget about the tripod unless you have time to set up a static shot.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 20, 2008 09:30 |  #4

You might want to add a lens down the road a bit wider than what you are using.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

Pete
Cream of the Crop
38,607 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 20, 2008 09:32 |  #5

Don't bother trying to bounce the flash, just use it head on.

Trust in the magic of Manual mode and ETTL

Check here for my results and technique.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=369787

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

Zansho
2,546 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 20, 2008 10:10 |  #6

No offense, but straight on flash is hardly flattering. Yes, it works, but it's not the most aesthetic way to approach flash photography.

I try to bounce the flash as much as I can, to help me produce the most natural looking photos as possible. If the photographer understands the shutter speed and f-stop relationships in regards to ambient and flash photography, bouncing flash is cake.

http://www.michaeljsam​aripa.com (external link) creating beautiful images for myself, my clients, and the world. Shooting with a mix of Canon, Fuji, and Sony.

Pete
Cream of the Crop
38,607 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 20, 2008 10:44 |  #7

Zansho wrote in post #5758816 (external link)
No offense, but straight on flash is hardly flattering. Yes, it works, but it's not the most aesthetic way to approach flash photography.

I try to bounce the flash as much as I can, to help me produce the most natural looking photos as possible. If the photographer understands the shutter speed and f-stop relationships in regards to ambient and flash photography, bouncing flash is cake.

What I did was use a high iso/wide aperture/slow shutter to maximise the exposure of the ambient light, then ETTL doesn't have to work at full power, giving a far more natural look to the subjects.

Example:-

IMAGE: http://www.the-aperture.com/EE/photos/normal/IMG_6712.jpg

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 20, 2008 12:07 |  #8

Balance between flash and ambient is okay, but you still have a tiny light source, close to the camera lens.
So you get hard shadows (allthough small), and not "shaping" light...

BTW: Looks like too much NR and / or skin smoothing as well ;)

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Pete
Cream of the Crop
38,607 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 20, 2008 12:09 |  #9

René Damkot wrote in post #5759386 (external link)
BTW: Looks like too much NR and / or skin smoothing as well ;)

He was wearing too much foundation make-up that day... :D

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

shutter_blitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 20, 2008 12:48 |  #10

Thanks guys. All advice and comments duly noted.

Gear:
Canon 50D
EF 50mm f1.4 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
Sunpak 383
Quantaray QSX-9500

EOSBoy
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 20, 2008 13:37 |  #11

Looks like you did some noise removal, no? I suppose head on flash can go either way. It's hard to avoid those harsh shadows when shooting straight forward without using a diffuser or bracket. I don't own either >.>

I do agree you don't have to put as much strain on your flash when you shoot straight ahead. But I tend to like bouncing the flash at a somewhat closer distance over straight flash.

But as far as freezing motion...Like people being themselves at a party and dancing or a bride walking down the isle, which is better? Bouncing or straight forward flash? I did a rehearsal last night and I was using the settings I would normally use for candids. People were just talking amongst themselves with little erratic movements. When it came to people walking down the isle I had somewhat blurry photos...I bounced the flash so there was no ghosting, just out of focus shots.

I can bump up the ISO without much concern about noise and up my shutter speed but would shooting straight forward flash in this situation bring more keepers?

http://patrickengman.c​om (external link)
Instagram: brotherly_dove
Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 20, 2008 15:58 |  #12

EOSBoy wrote in post #5759936 (external link)
But as far as freezing motion...Like people being themselves at a party and dancing or a bride walking down the isle, which is better? Bouncing or straight forward flash?

Doesn't make much difference IMO; it's all about the ambient to flash ratio....

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

Zansho
2,546 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 20, 2008 22:57 |  #13

This is what bounced light in ETTL mode can do.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/2597080684_d347e11d26_b.jpg

I did this on a whim this afternoon at a friend's house. Pretty willing model, I might add! :D

sponsored links

940 views & 0 likes for this thread
Low ambient light party
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.