Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 22 Jun 2008 (Sunday) 21:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paparazzi versus Surfers

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

Jun 22, 2008 21:17 |  #1

LA Times article (external link)

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

sponsored links
PhotosByEric
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 22, 2008 22:53 |  #2

Don't know who's worse here:

The paparazzi for chasing down famous people and not allowing them to enjoy something simple as surfing.

OR

The spoiled little Malibu "dudes" that think because mommy and daddy have money they can do whatever they want and get bailed out of it.

Eric

www.photosbyeric.smugm​ug.com (external link)
Canon 30D, Canon 15-85, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 60 2.8 macro, 580exI, 430exI, st-e2, and a wish list a mile long:lol:

DreamCrushers in POTN FF

SlowBlink
"I like dog butts"
1,926 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 22, 2008 23:10 |  #3

I didn't see anyone in that crowd who would have made me nervous. the Paps should have spanked em and continued shooting. It's not like they were circling him on wave runners. I officially apologize for defending Paps now

Rob
Anatidaephobia - The Fear That You are Being Watched by a Duck.

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 23, 2008 01:45 |  #4

It's difficult to put into words how little I care about "stars", "paps" and kids like that on the beach. However, if there are people in your country who feel the need to start fighting in the sand because others are pointing cameras around, then I can think of a couple of other parts of the world that you could send them to where their talents could be put to better use. That's assuming their mums would let them go :)

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

Banno
783 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 23, 2008 02:20 |  #5

I dont like the thought of it. Although as long as they stayed their distance and didnt intrude then i dont see the problem. The minute that they are intrusive or rude then fair game I say

~~ Shane ~~

NILMDTS (external link)
| Shane Bannister Photography (external link) | GEAR LISThttp://cgi.ebay.com.au …eName=STRK:MESE​:IT&ih=016 (external link) | FEEDBACK

BIG ­ H
708 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 23, 2008 10:08 |  #6

A little pepper spray would have sent them packing!

7D, 40D, 20D, S5is, canon: 100-400LIS, 70-200 f2.8L, 18-55 EFS, 17-55 f2.8 IS EFS, 28-135 IS, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 135 f2.0; sigma: 24-70 EX DG macro; tokina: 10-17 fisheye; 580EX II, 430EX

tsw910
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 23, 2008 10:45 |  #7

well .. as a ex surfer .. when i heard this news over the radio this morning .. i thought nothing of it .. cuz its kinda a usual thing .. good surfing points are mostly protected by locals .. cuz they dont want others to come in and spoil their piece of " heaven " cuz its " theirs " .. lol .. im not sure how the story went down, but if you step on their turf .. its on ! of course i was never like that .. i was just too busy not to get the crap kicked out of me while doing so ... but alot of my buddies did feel that way

oh btw .. when was the last time you heard or saw that the paps were not rude or intrude on anything or anyone ? LOL

Scuba Tom
http://tomwangphotogra​phy.com (external link)NYC Wedding Photographer (external link)http://www.tomwangphot​ography.com/ (external link)

crazyskillz07
"invisible to everyone"
2,874 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 23, 2008 17:05 |  #8

I think the paps took it a lil over board because there wasn't just one photographer. It was about 10 paps. If I were a surfer this would annoy me. I bet if it were just one or two paps nothing would have happened. With that said, I would not be able to control my temper with the sissy looking surfer boys with the beer bellies who try to act like tough guys. Those kids need a nice a$$ wooping to be put in line. If only Chuck Norris was a Photog. lol

-Turk- Blog (external link)
Canon EOS 40D w/ BG-E2N... Canon EOS 30D...

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 23, 2008 17:29 |  #9

Touchy situation in this sense: If you take away the paparazzi's right to take pictures of celebrities, how soon will the rights of amateurs like us be taken away while shooting at any public location? If you limit picture taking of people only if they first give you permission, that would stifle a lot of photography (e.g, street photography).

As others have mentioned before, we do have the right to take pictures in a public place without permission of the people in that public place. BUT, I really wouldn't push this right by standing in front of a high school taking pictures of all the female students. That would be creepy and surely get me a visit by the police.

It's like the freedom of speech: To protect our freedoom of speech, we have to allow a lot of inane, obviously slanted, or untrue speech of others. (Why are the "others" always the bad ones? I'm always the good one!) :)

Surfers protecting their turf? Human beings are so territorial. Mushroom hunters are the same. We don't want anyone else taking mushrooms from "our" prized areas in the forest.

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

SlowBlink
"I like dog butts"
1,926 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 23, 2008 23:34 |  #10

It's a pretty cut and dry situation when it comes to freedoms. You have the freedom to go to the beach with a board, I have the freedom to go with my camera. When paps put people in danger they should get spanked, this wasn't one of those times though. imo

Rob
Anatidaephobia - The Fear That You are Being Watched by a Duck.

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 24, 2008 00:50 as a reply to  @ SlowBlink's post |  #11

Paparazzi may be the bottom feeders of photography but that doesn't give anyone, surfer or other wise, the right to engage in violence against them. From what I could tell from the video, the photographers were back from the water and didn't seem to be intruding on anyone. The whole confrontation appeared to be initiated by the surfers, not the paparazzi. I hope the perpetrators of the attack on the one photographer are arrested, charged and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

John

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,896 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Jun 24, 2008 02:07 |  #12

Eric&Susan wrote in post #5773162 (external link)
Don't know who's worse here:

The paparazzi for chasing down famous people and not allowing them to enjoy something simple as surfing.

OR

The spoiled little Malibu "dudes" that think because mommy and daddy have money they can do whatever they want and get bailed out of it.

Eric

I would say both.

if you don't want paparazzi following you around, it's simple. don't become famous.

if you work at becoming famous then yes that's what you can expect to have follow you around every step of the day. it's part of the course.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Mark
Dammit I need sleep
3,386 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 24, 2008 02:21 |  #13

JWright wrote in post #5780490 (external link)
Paparazzi may be the bottom feeders of photography but that doesn't give anyone, surfer or other wise, the right to engage in violence against them. From what I could tell from the video, the photographers were back from the water and didn't seem to be intruding on anyone. The whole confrontation appeared to be initiated by the surfers, not the paparazzi. I hope the perpetrators of the attack on the one photographer are arrested, charged and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

While the way they act is bad, not all of them are like that!

Just if some idiot decides to pap someone with a 16-35, they all have to for fear of a ruined shot, and their livelihood.

It's like whaling and all those things, the paps don't particularly LIKE pissing of celebrities, they have to make a living, and chose that as a job.

That business is very cutthroat, because if you have the same picture as 10 other people, it is quite useless to you. The people have to compete quite roughly to get anywhere in their job...

Now, I don't condone holding someone up by surrounding them or anything like that, if they had a choice they would probably choose to keep out of the celebs way, but what if someone else gets the shot then...

And finally if there wasn't a demand for pictures of celebrities with a bloody nose, then there wouldn't be paps....

They are just supplying a market... and yes it is like justifying drug dealers by saying that the druggies are the problem.... but, what they should do is to make a law that you must not impede anyones movement, but if they are on public property and you are to, you have to keep out of their way (ie. not make a big mob infront of them stopping them from getting anywhere), but you can still take pictures of them... Afterall, it is the public domain...

Mark

Zilly
Cream of the Crop
5,086 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 24, 2008 12:12 |  #14

to be fair its all pretty lame compared to what the dog town rats used to get up to

Dom
Follow my adventures on twitter (external link)
Car Photography (external link)

justincase724
Goldmember
1,400 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 24, 2008 13:20 as a reply to  @ Zilly's post |  #15

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it illegal (and I use that word loosely) to photograph or video someone in public if that someone is protected under the witness protection program? If that's the case, you would think the authorities could think of something to help protect celebrities if they so choose. I mean, I don't think the paps in these videos were being very intrusive (who knows what happened before what we see, or even in the days/weeks before this event) but when they show videos of Brittany 'Psycho' Spears running to her car with her kid in her arms and about two dozen paps swarming around her, flashes going off like crazy, I'd want to run every one of them over if I were her. Sometimes I think it's no wonder why these celebrities start to go crazy.

FLICKr (external link) GEAR

sponsored links

1,836 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paparazzi versus Surfers
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.