Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 25 Jun 2008 (Wednesday) 06:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dedicated Macro or?

MilesW
240 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 25, 2008 06:37 |  #1

The lens I now have are a 50MM 1.4 a 17-85MM IS and a 70-200MM F4 L IS plus a 1.4 TC . Now I would like either a Macro or a UWA can't do both at this time. I need to know if Extension tubes such as the Kenko set will help with the Macro using any of what I already have. If so I can swing the UWA and a set of Kenko tubes at this time. If not I will opt for the Macro lens first and wait for the UWA lens.

20D Canon EFS 17-85IS, 70-2001:4 L IS, Macro 100 F2.8, Canon 50 1.4Canon ext EF 1.4X II

Lester ­ Wareham
27,944 posts
Gallery: 3105 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 25, 2008 07:03 |  #2

Yes you can use the tubes with the 50 and 70-200, some of the Kenko tubes do not fit EF-S lenses. Tubes are best with sharp primes but working distance can be limited with a 50mm around life size. Quality, probably OK as long as you don't need flatness of field, could be an issue for copy work, coins, very flat insects like butterflies or damselflies but I expect it will be OK.

The magnification you will get will be M=E/F where E is the length of the extension tube and F is the lens focal length. So with a zoom you get LESS magnification as you zoom to the long end although you will be a longer way from the subject.

Finally, remember a macro lens like the EF 100mm f2.8 macro USM makes a very good general short tele and will probably be sharper than your L zoom.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

RockSlut
780 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jun 25, 2008 07:03 |  #3

What do you like to shoot?

17mm is as wide as I have available to me (on a 20D) and I find it pretty satisfactory.

I just picked up the canon 100mm f/2.8 and love it, and I'm not even that serious about macro photography - I bought it for portraiture and product shooting.

Angus
www.angusyoung.com.au (external link)
Movie Stills Photography www.production-stills.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

797 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dedicated Macro or?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.