Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Jun 2008 (Thursday) 05:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Digital Photography with Linux: Reference Guide

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 24, 2010 18:47 |  #46

cedm wrote in post #10055457 (external link)
One more raw converter worth giving a try:

Darktable

Darktable is a virtual light table and darkroom for photographers: it manages your digital negatives in a database and lets you view them through a zoomable light table. It also enables you to develop raw images and enhance them.

Editing is fully non-destructive. Released under GPL 3 license. Currently in available in version 0.5, so it's still very much under development.

http://darktable.sourc​eforge.net/ (external link)

Thanks for the heads up, that's looking awesome. I might just have to see if I can pitch in on this one: I've been looking for a good F-Spot replacement for a while

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
robscomputer
429 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 07, 2010 12:51 as a reply to  @ bieber's post |  #47

Great guide!

I've been using Linux at work and at home, I am going to see if I can find a solution for Lightroom that works decently good.

Amateur photographer

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 07, 2010 14:17 |  #48

Lightroom works very well in Sun's Virtualbox. At least LR2.x does. LR3 is much much slower for me running in that same VM.

And I hate to admit it but I like LR far far better than any FOSS options... it's not even close how much better LR is (to me).

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 07, 2010 14:26 |  #49

robscomputer wrote in post #10493409 (external link)
Great guide!

I've been using Linux at work and at home, I am going to see if I can find a solution for Lightroom that works decently good.

I've been using F-Spot for the last couple of years. It's a really sucky substitute for Lightroom, but it works. I'm planning on making a new photo manager that will run on Linux targeted more at serious users than the current crop of free photo managers: I just made a thread about it in this forum, feel free to stop in and let me know what kind of features you're looking for. It won't be reality for a while, but it's something I really want to make happen.

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Gallery (external link)

dow
193 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 07, 2010 15:33 as a reply to  @ bieber's post |  #50

I'm using Bibble Pro (http://www.bibblelabs.​com (external link) with good luck. Not free, but it works great.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.

flickr (external link)
Gear _ist

photogs_spouse
75 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 08, 2010 16:50 |  #51

Lightzone is another paid Linux software.
http://www.lightcrafts​.com/lightzone/ (external link)

Shotwell http://www.yorba.org/s​hotwell/ (external link)
release notes:
http://www.yorba.org …hotwell-061-released.html (external link)
This one is replacing F-Spot in Fedora and Ubuntu.

[JKD]
31 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 13, 2010 10:21 |  #52

This guide was excellent :)
Thank you for putting it together.

Canon 50D | Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS L | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX APO DG HSM Macro | EF 1.4x II Extender | Canon 430ex II

cedm
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 14, 2010 04:14 |  #53

[JKD wrote:
='[JKD];10714480']This guide was excellent :)
Thank you for putting it together.

You're welcome.

I constantly keep it up to date, although there isn't much new software to add lately. All the good ones are there already.

I plan on adding Shotwell once it is mature enough and better than F-spot (which it is aimed at replacing), Darktable when it reaches version 1 or becomes feature complete enough.

Gimp 2.8 is scheduled to be released at the end of the year (luckily not delayed much), will feature layer grouping, single-window mode (optional), much improved text editing tool, etc. http://www.gimp.org/re​lease-notes/gimp-2.7.html (external link)

DigiKam is adding automatic face detection and tagging: http://adityabhatt.wor​dpress.com …-gsoc-face-tags-progress/ (external link)

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

robscomputer
429 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 27, 2010 01:49 as a reply to  @ cedm's post |  #54

I'm about 80% converted to Linux but ran into a slight problem. Is there an application to create lower resolutions images, but keeping the same image size? In Photoshop this would be "save for web"?

I had problems working this out with Gimp.

Thanks!

Amateur photographer

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 27, 2010 02:35 |  #55

Hmm, Save for Web resizes images to "fit" the Web, and sets a Quality setting for a "reasonable" file size, so I'd guess that in the Gimp you would use a basic Resize function to get the image size to a viewable set of pixel dimensions, then Save As to get a jpeg where you set the jpeg Quality to your specific file size needs.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

cedm
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 27, 2010 05:15 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #56

As Tony pointed it out, you can resize your pictures in Gimp and save them.

Most other applications (Krita, digiKam, Shotwell, etc.) can also do that.

If you want to resize in large batch, Phatch or ImageMagick are perfect for the task.

No "Save for web" in Gimp, but the standard save dialog will give you the same options anyway.

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

4Deuce
83 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 04, 2010 14:30 |  #57

As for the "Save for Web" function in PS, I don't believe it resizes the image. It does warn you if your image size is considered too large for web viewing. It states that you may have memory problems if you continue. It also gives you the option to include the ICC profile embedded in the image, convert to sRGB on the fly, and also the ability to optimize the image for web use. Not being very versed it GIMP I am not sure if all these features are available in the standard save dialog. Just wanted to point these out.

My experience with Digikam has been kind of a love/hate experience. I think it has great potential as being a one-stop shop package but the workflow is a little disorienting/confusing but the biggest reason I no longer use it is it seems to have issues with correct color rendering. Even if I turn on the color management it still does not show colors correctly. I would love to figure out what the problem is because I think it is a decent program. I have read other posts from people who have mentioned the color issues with Digikam but no solutions are mentioned. Can anyone help?

Hey what about adding xicc in the Color Management section. This lets you set the ICC Color profile for the X display. The way I understand it, it allows you to load a profile for system-wide use to color manage apps like Gimp, Krita, Eye of Gnome, Gnome Viewer, Ufraw, Inkscape, etc. With a small script it can run at startup. Just thought I would mention it.

Great resource! I hope it continues to get updated. Linux is gradually evolving and this is great info for us photographers. Thanks!

Current Equipment: Canon 40D | Canon 28mm 1.8 | Canon 60mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 70-200mm F/4L IS |

cedm
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 04, 2010 20:11 as a reply to  @ 4Deuce's post |  #58

Can't help you much with your color management issue in digiKam. I don't have a color managed workflow myself so it's something I have hardly any knowledge in. Best is to ask on the digiKam mailinglist or bug tracker. Or ask Gilles Caulier directly (he's the main developer).

Thanks for introducing me to xicc. I had a quickly look at it. Do you know about the "Gnome Color Manager"? It does the same thing, but also allows you to set ICC profiles for your printer or any other device that can be color managed. Comes with a friendly GUI as well:

http://projects.gnome.​org/gnome-color-manager/ (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 04, 2010 20:32 |  #59

You might want to check out this thread:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=953296

He was dealing with color management issues. By page 3/post 31 he had gotten some things worked out then went to Linux and the Gimp and tried out his learnings in Gnome and digiKam and decided that Gnome can be color managed but evidently not digiKam.

Maybe read some of the beginning of the thread to understand the issue he was dealing with, then he gets some resolution in page 2, all working with Photoshop, but then in post 31 he starts with the Gimp stuff.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

cedm
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 04, 2010 21:28 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #60

I have close to zero knowledge in color management, that's why I advised him to go talk straight to the digiKam developers: they will be able to give him a clear answer.

As far as I know, digiKam is fully color managed, and comes with extensive options to set color profiles to screen, scanner, camera and printer. I've just never bothered myself about it since I don't have a color calibration device and couldn't even get my hands on the default icc profile for my laptop monitor...

Color management is disabled by default in digiKam, so one will have to activate it first. DigiKam handbook got a lengthly color management section. always worth checking..

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

45,497 views & 0 likes for this thread
Digital Photography with Linux: Reference Guide
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.