Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Jun 2008 (Thursday) 12:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Simple CS to CS3 question

Halliday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 26, 2008 12:40 |  #1

I just upgraded from XP to an iMac. Along for the ride I went from CS to CS3. CS had a setting that opened the images full screen, stacked on top of each other.

How do I do that in CS3? Not tiled, all full but one behind another with the closing dot up in the corner too?

Thanks. I'm sure it's simple but can't see it. It's affecting my workflow :|

Edit: And have the images centered too on the screen would be great!

lanceshuey.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

sponsored links
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 26, 2008 12:50 |  #2

I can't say I ever noticed that feature in CS and I used it extensively but that's not how I work so its possible I never saw it.

Photoshop CS3 introduced a new screen mode; in previous Photoshop version there were three; Standard (windowed), Full Screen with Menu Bar, and Full Screen. In CS3 there's a fourth screen mode called Maximized Mode which opens your photo without the annoying window around it. The cool thing about it is that it is sticky...if you select it and close Photoshop it will remember the screen mode when you reopen it. You can cycle through the screen modes by pressing the F key or clicking the little downward pointing arrow on the last icon of the tool bar.

Is that what you're looking for? Alternatively you can open several images and then go to Window > Arrange and select how you want them stacked.

Halliday wrote in post #5796992 (external link)
I just upgraded from XP to an iMac. Along for the ride I went from CS to CS3. CS had a setting that opened the images full screen, stacked on top of each other.

How do I do that in CS3? Not tiled, all full but one behind another with the closing dot up in the corner too?

Thanks. I'm sure it's simple but can't see it. It's affecting my workflow :|

Edit: And have the images centered too on the screen would be great!

Gear List

Halliday
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 26, 2008 13:11 |  #3

Using F helped a lot. Thou now on the second or third setting there is no 'close' dot at the top left. Any idea how to shot that too?

Edit: The top menu bar is blocking the close dot.

flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 26, 2008 13:12 |  #4

Do you mean like th screenshot below?
That is the default on my Mac with CS2.

CS3 is the same in the "standard" screen mode.
Press F a few times to cycle through the viewing modes.

One difference between CS/CS2 and CS3 is, that the screen mode you set now affects *all* images that are open, not just the front one.

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20080626-nwm5aq9uj7rk7qs9wg7jnhg262.jpg

edit: The "close" dot is only there in the first screenmode IIRC.
You don't need it: press Cmd+W to close the front window.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Halliday
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 26, 2008 14:59 |  #5

Referring to the image above, I'd like to set it up that each image is full, stacked (not showing the images below) and with the close dot showing. I use a tablet so with the stylus in my hand it's easier to hit the close dot than use a keyboard command.

So with the screen shot, put the windows on top of each other and show the close dot.

flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 26, 2008 16:21 |  #6

Not possible on OSX. That's the windows version of PS :p
From this starting position (my screenshot), press F once. IIRC that takes you to the "new" screenmode of PSCS3. That's as close as you're going to get on OSX.

Are you seriously suggesting you are using a tablet and no keyboard shortcuts :eek:

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Halliday
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 27, 2008 20:24 |  #7

I have to use a few keyboard commands now with a mac. I sometimes get on the interweb using my tablet :)

flickr (external link)

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 27, 2008 22:12 |  #8

The solution would be to reprogram your pen. I have the front rocker switch set to "Pop Up Menu" and I've put a list of the keystroke commands I use most frequently listed in the pop up menu. You could easily put CTRL+W, the Close command, there.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List

Halliday
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 27, 2008 22:35 |  #9

Not a bad idea reprogramming. The only thing I've customized was turning off my non-dominate hand side touch strip.

Tonight I'm using the keyboard for the closing. It's working so far :)

flickr (external link)

Robf
385 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 28, 2008 10:24 |  #10

René Damkot wrote in post #5797198 (external link)
One difference between CS/CS2 and CS3 is, that the screen mode you set now affects *all* images that are open, not just the front one.

yes, and its a big pain in the neck ! :evil: especially with the extra hoop jump of the extra usless screen mode added as well.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 29, 2008 08:07 |  #11

Then again, you can press shift+F to toggle back a display mode...
But the CS2 way has some advantages, I agree.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

Nouks
824 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 29, 2008 16:13 |  #12

René Damkot wrote in post #5798314 (external link)
Not possible on OSX. That's the windows version of PS :p
From this starting position (my screenshot), press F once. IIRC that takes you to the "new" screenmode of PSCS3. That's as close as you're going to get on OSX.

Are you seriously suggesting you are using a tablet and no keyboard shortcuts :eek:

I'm sorry, but I think it actually is possible. Somewhere under "view". The one you posted is "standard view", one of the others will be a bit Windows-like.

I used to be Gebruikersnaam.
Gearlist: 1D2, resurrected 20D, 400D, 16-35L, 28-70L, 70-200L, 85 F1.8, cute 18-55, dead 24-70 Siggie, 2 flashlights, expensive bags and loads of CF-cards.
Website (external link)Portfolio (external link)Archive (external link)

sponsored links

1,313 views & 0 likes for this thread
Simple CS to CS3 question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.