Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Aug 2007 (Thursday) 17:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show me your photographers

this thread is locked
RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 17, 2011 10:33 |  #7396
bannedPermanent ban

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Wonder if any pros hold their cameras like this

sponsored links
Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 17, 2011 10:35 |  #7397

Not a pro, but I do that when I'm shooting in crowded areas where I don't want to block the person seated behind me, assuming I'm shooting something like a stage event, without a battery grip, and with a need to go portrait orientation and not have the chicken wing.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 17, 2011 10:49 |  #7398

If I'm not using my D3s I hold it vertically like that as well but my left hand is still under the lens.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 17, 2011 11:40 |  #7399
bannedPermanent ban

Headshotzx wrote in post #12609760 (external link)
Not a pro, but I do that when I'm shooting in crowded areas where I don't want to block the person seated behind me, assuming I'm shooting something like a stage event, without a battery grip, and with a need to go portrait orientation and not have the chicken wing.

dgrPhotos wrote in post #12609836 (external link)
If I'm not using my D3s I hold it vertically like that as well but my left hand is still under the lens.

I was told, not that I've ever tried to hold it like that, that gravity will not help you hold it still :lol:

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
39,600 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 17, 2011 11:57 |  #7400

Does it matter?

garryknight
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 17, 2011 12:01 |  #7401

This guy was at the Festival of Chariots (a Hare Krishna bash) in London, shooting in the rain. He's got a long lens on an extender, but no rain protection on the camera or lens.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2515/5841941519_ef506890a1_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …5841941519/in/p​hotostream  (external link)

Garry Knight
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/garryknight/ (external link)
Sony A6000, 16-50mm, 55-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, 35mm; Nikon D5100, AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR, AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6 ED VR, AF-S 50mm f/1.8G; and an iPhone XS.

bongEstrella
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 17, 2011 12:07 |  #7402

garryknight wrote in post #12610152 (external link)
He's got a long lens on an extender, but no rain protection on the camera or lens.

Badass! lol

My Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 60d, 15-85
Feedback

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 17, 2011 12:16 |  #7403
bannedPermanent ban

garryknight wrote in post #12610152 (external link)
This guy was at the Festival of Chariots (a Hare Krishna bash) in London, shooting in the rain. He's got a long lens on an extender, but no rain protection on the camera or lens.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …5841941519/in/p​hotostream  (external link)

The lens probably has weather proofing on it as well as the camera, though you won't see me with a bare naked camera and lens on a raining day

watduzhkstand4
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 17, 2011 12:21 |  #7404

just out of curiosity, are the tele extenders also weather proof?

flickr (external link) | Gear List & Feedback

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
3,856 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 17, 2011 12:27 |  #7405

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12598514 (external link)
I know you're being funny but some may not realize that it's pretty much SOP to carry a monopod-mounted large prime with the lens resting on your shoulder and pointing toward the rear...

Just so everyone doesn't think I was being Pompas when I called him silly, here is a photo of myself walking back stage at a concert that a fellow photographer sent me

IMAGE: http://everymilesamemory.smugmug.com/Other/Camera-Stuff/Lugging20the20big20400/624093710_4fuYe-L.jpg

It's really the only way to carry these big lenses comfortably, but its always fun to poke fun at Nikon Shooters...LOL

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.com (external link)
http://www.instagram.c​om/bonish_photo/[/URL (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 17, 2011 12:42 |  #7406

400dabuser wrote in post #12610215 (external link)
The lens probably has weather proofing on it as well as the camera, though you won't see me with a bare naked camera and lens on a raining day

Me neither! I don't care how much I'm being paid either.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

garryknight
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 17, 2011 12:44 |  #7407

400dabuser wrote in post #12610215 (external link)
you won't see me with a bare naked camera and lens on a raining day

I've taken my 40D out on a rainy day, but only for short periods at a time. It's a lot more weather-proof than I used to think.

Garry Knight
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/garryknight/ (external link)
Sony A6000, 16-50mm, 55-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, 35mm; Nikon D5100, AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR, AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6 ED VR, AF-S 50mm f/1.8G; and an iPhone XS.

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 17, 2011 13:40 |  #7408

bior wrote in post #12598267 (external link)
Is that Mavericks? I'm going to see if I can wrangle my way into shooting that next year.

No, this is Lower Trestles in Southern California.

Mavericks is a whole different animal. Beach shots are a nightmare.

The shots I took at Trestles with a 400mm reach (on crop) looked like this:

IMAGE: http://fairmont.smugmug.com/photos/854917917_LJspq-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://fairmont.smugmug.com/photos/884065781_dimG4-XL.jpg

Like I said, that's about 400mm, which is the same as a 600mm (I'm rounding) on a full frame camera.

If you want to shoot Mavericks, you're going to need 600-800, even on a crop. Mavericks is really far out there. In fact, getting good beach shots at Mavericks is a study in positioning. The problem with surf photography, that most non-surfers don't understand, is that the higher you are in relation to the wave (standing on a cliff, lifeguard tower, etc.) the smaller the wave appears.

You should see the big wave shots taken from helicopters. The waves look pretty small.

When I shot at Trestles I actually put my tripod to its lowest setting and sat in the sand, letting water run up to my feet. It's a bit dangerous (for the camera and lens) if you get nailed by a wave, so you have to pay close attention.

But if you surf then you understand the intervals at which waves come, and learn what to expect and when.

The best surf photographers in the world were surfers first, and good surfers at that. It's extremely rare to find a good surf photographer who wasn't at the advanced level of surfing before taking up the camera.

Thank you. bw!

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 17, 2011 13:42 |  #7409

Just looking at the two photos above, you can tell that the first one was taken with me lower than the surfer. The second picture I was even with the surfer. Look at the difference positioning makes.

By the way, if you ever plan to photograph surfing, don't waste your time with the amateurs. Shoot the professionals. You don't need a press pass of any kind to photograph them (can you say that for the NBA, NFL, MLB or even pro wrestling?).

Just show up, set up, and don't block the shots of other photographers. And don't necessarily set up where they do. They know their stuff, no doubt, but it's the unique angle that sometimes makes a big difference. And sometimes it's the usual angle that makes a difference.

Surf photography is really fun.

Oh, and if you plan to shoot Mavericks, consider hiring a boat out of the harbor. You'll get a much better angle and will get closer to the surfers.

If you really have the guts for it, hire someone with a big wave runner and sit back-to-back with the driver. Then you'll not only get great shots, but your adrenaline will skyrocket as huge waves appear on the horizon. When out there in a boat or jet ski, you are 90% safe in the channel (the deep water outside of the wave zone), but only 90%. There's always a chance that a wave big enough to break in the deep water will come along, and then you and your 1Ds are going for a swim. :)

For a list of professional contests, go to www.aspworldtour.com (external link).

Like baseball, they have a major league and minor league. They don't call it that, however. The major leagues (called the WCT or ASP World Tour) is about ten to twelve events each year, only one or two of which are on the mainland USA. They do a couple in Australia, one in Brazil, two to three in Europe, a couple in the South Pacific, and Hawaii. It changes a little each year, but starts in March and ends in early December. Usually there is one contest per month, sometimes two, and the event lasts from five to ten days, depending on waves.

The minor leagues (called the WQS) has many more contests, and they are everywhere. Surfers complete to earn enough points in hopes that they'll advance to the major leagues (similar points process as NASCAR).

Check it out: www.aspworldtour.com (external link) If you want good surf photos, shoot good surfers. A good way to practice getting a good shot is to get a surfing video (preferably one without a lot of slow motion) and practice freezing the action with your remote control. It'll help you understand how to time your shots.

Thank you. bw!

Drakeskakes
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 17, 2011 13:55 |  #7410

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #12610624 (external link)
Just looking at the two photos above, you can tell that the first one was taken with me lower than the surfer. The second picture I was even with the surfer. Look at the difference positioning makes.

By the way, if you ever plan to photograph surfing, don't waste your time with the amateurs. Shoot the professionals. You don't need a press pass of any kind to photograph them (can you say that for the NBA, NFL, MLB or even pro wrestling?).

Yeah, lets ignore the fact the first picture is a wave 8-10 and the second is 4-6...

www.clarkography.com (external link) wasn't a high level surfer at any point in his life, and I think hes one of the best surf photographers i've seen

"Nobodys built like you....
.... You design yourself"
www.NeillDrake.com (external link)
Gripped 50D | 17-55 2.8 IS USM | Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye | 100mm 2.8 Macro USM | Nifty Fifty | 430ex II | Timbuk2

sponsored links

2,177,704 views & 0 likes for this thread
Show me your photographers
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.