Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Aug 2007 (Thursday) 17:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show me your photographers

this thread is locked
alex.hondsmerk
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 14, 2012 10:30 |  #9196

Fogged-up front element? Or just an odd reflection?

Gripped 50D, 24-105 f/4 L, 70-200 f/4 L, EF-S 17-85, 50 f/1.8 II "L" (external link), Tamron 60 f/2 Macro, Samyang 8mm fisheye, 430EX
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
kawboy613
860 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 14, 2012 14:54 |  #9197

airbutchie wrote in post #14084274 (external link)
Here's a few from last Saturday's NSSA surfing event @ Huntington Beach, CA...

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/airbutchie/6835​828764/  (external link)

:D

probably just the angle at which this is taken, but i would swear his lens is bent just behind the tripod foot ring... :eek:

Tim
GEAR & FEEDBACK
Website http://www.bent-treephotography.com (external link) its small right now, but.... it's a start !

toastyphoto
302 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 14, 2012 15:22 |  #9198

kawboy613 wrote in post #14086116 (external link)
probably just the angle at which this is taken, but i would swear his lens is bent just behind the tripod foot ring... :eek:

It does appear that way, but I think it's because his hood is taped on in a half-arse manner. If you cover up the hood with your hand, the actual lens barrel looks to be straight.

He doesn't seem to really care about his gear though. :neutral:

5D II | 24-70 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.4 | 430 EX II x2 | PW ControlTL

shutterpat
Cream of the Crop
10,516 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 14, 2012 16:42 |  #9199

Here's another view of this guy ...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

photog (external link) by OC PAT (external link), on Flickr

Follow me --> https://www.instagram.​com/shutterpat/ (external link)

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 14, 2012 16:59 |  #9200

He is using a Nikon D7000 with a Tamron 18-270 PZD. Same lens I was using, so I lent him my CPL filter, and then accidentally swiped his Tamron lens hood, thinking it was mine. Pretty embarrasing to find I had 2 of them in my sweatshirt pocket, but he was nice about it. He also had another body with a longer lens hanging from a strap (seen behind him) but I never saw him use it and am not sure what it is.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (external link)

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 14, 2012 17:34 as a reply to  @ lar55's post |  #9201

Glasses, hood, hat....very sneaky.

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 14, 2012 18:42 |  #9202

dgrPhotos wrote in post #14087133 (external link)
Glasses, hood, hat....very sneaky.

Not sneaky... cold! Well, it seemed like a warm day, but the wind was strong and cold. He was watching a large flock of gulls or some-such, waiting for sunset and determined to get a shot of them taking off with the sunset in the background. I gave up and started walking back, and about 15 minutes later I heard an amazing noise - he was right, they all took off as the sun went down, and I hope he got the shot.

Jan ­ Jasinski
Goldmember
3,002 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 14, 2012 18:53 as a reply to  @ shutterpat's post |  #9203

Here are 2 of my buddies down at the airport:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7198/6831560922_e7134cb9d0_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/janjasinski/6​831560922/  (external link)
Spotter | Nikon D3000 + 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR (external link) by Jan Jasinski (external link), on Flickr

And this combo is delicious! Looks more tempting than the 100-400L.
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7039/6831560624_086271ed2d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/janjasinski/6​831560624/  (external link)
Spotter | Canon EOS 7D + EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II + EF 2x II (external link) by Jan Jasinski (external link), on Flickr

photojan.ca (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Eagle
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 14, 2012 19:29 |  #9204

Jan Jasinski wrote in post #14087521 (external link)
How do people manage to mistreat their gear like that? It looks horrible and makes me sad even.

That's just were and tear on a very well used lens.

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 14, 2012 19:48 |  #9205

alex.hondsmerk wrote in post #14084761 (external link)
Fogged-up front element? Or just an odd reflection?

Alex, I have to say that the last thing I noticed was the camera...that amazing dress caught my eye and held it! :D

Growing old disgracefully!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 14, 2012 19:59 |  #9206

Jan Jasinski wrote in post #14087521 (external link)
How do people manage to mistreat their gear like that? It looks horrible and makes me sad even.

Go ruin a 18-55 lens intead of a 300f/2.8 for god's sake.

I'm not sure what you mean by "mistreat"? If you are referring to some dings on the white lens, well, those lenses and the long wide hoods will pick up some dings over time if you are working with them as "working tools" rather than babying them.

I've picked up a ding here, a ding there, because I'm out through whatever terrain I need to go through to get a shoot, and sometimes something will get "bumped", and with the white paint it just doesn't take much to show a "ding" up. Fortunately, the hoods take more than the body of the lens itself, although I recently put my 24-70 up for sale and it wasn't until I was examinging it preparing to take photos of it for my EBay/Craig's List/POTN ads that I noticed a scrape over a part of the body, with no idea of how it happened, and it's not even white:)!

And no, I don't carelessly abuse my gear!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Jan ­ Jasinski
Goldmember
3,002 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 14, 2012 20:05 |  #9207

Eagle wrote in post #14087724 (external link)
That's just were and tear on a very well used lens.

I guess... I've used my 55-250 very well before and it was in great condition, but then again it's not a massive 300.

tonylong wrote in post #14087910 (external link)
I'm not sure what you mean by "mistreat"? If you are referring to some dings on the white lens, well, those lenses and the long wide hoods will pick up some dings over time if you are working with them as "working tools" rather than babying them.

I've picked up a ding here, a ding there, because I'm out through whatever terrain I need to go through to get a shoot, and sometimes something will get "bumped", and with the white paint it just doesn't take much to show a "ding" up. Fortunately, the hoods take more than the body of the lens itself, although I recently put my 24-70 up for sale and it wasn't until I was examinging it preparing to take photos of it for my EBay/Craig's List/POTN ads that I noticed a scrape over a part of the body, with no idea of how it happened, and it's not even white:)!

And no, I don't carelessly abuse my gear!

If I did own a piece of glass like that I would keep it in the state that I bought it in. I shoot aviation mainly so that would not get my lens dirty (usually) so I am probably not used to thinking that a lens can me mistreated like that when shooting closeup sports etc.

photojan.ca (external link) | Instagram (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 14, 2012 20:45 |  #9208

I'd say that 300 has probably paid for itself several times over...

Good to see it's been used and used well. Despite the scratches, scrapes and the need to gaffer tape the hood on, it's still out there working!

Ought to be in a Canon Ad! :D
With Chuck Norris...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 14, 2012 20:46 |  #9209

Go shoot a professional Motorsports event right on the fence. You will see how quickly things can get dirty.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 14, 2012 20:47 |  #9210

If you really want a "WTF?" moment, go look at the camera well during a World Series game...

A whole bunch of large white lenses with NO HOODS!

Professional courtesy dictates you shoot without a hood when the well is really full.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

2,177,157 views & 0 likes for this thread
Show me your photographers
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.