Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 28 Jun 2008 (Saturday) 13:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM -SIGMALUX-

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 15, 2013 11:12 |  #9781

Beautiful bokeh :)

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

sponsored links
Dlee13
Goldmember
4,346 posts
Gallery: 634 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 15, 2013 21:44 |  #9782

guitarjeff wrote in post #16528946 (external link)
That's the norm with this lens. Good focus is give and take depending on the distance. they apparently are purposely set to front focus a little if you are attempting to focus close, or near minimum distance. From what I understand Sigma tunes the focus at around 8 feet from the subject.

When people get this lens they want to move in close to fill the frameand usually that ends up being too close, like 3 feet away, and this is why it front focuses. Micro adjust to plus 15 or 20 and the close stuff will be in focus much better but then the far subjects will be back focused badly.

Once I understood this and that this is just the way the lens is I then began to get comfortable with it. I did a dot tune micro adjustment and tuned it for subjects about 4 or 5 feet away, which ended up being a plus 5 micro adjustment. That gives me the best compromise for subjects around that distance while still not throwing off the far subjects.

Recently, and I don't know why I didn't do this before, when iam inside and I know my subjects are going to be very close, 2 and 3 feet away, I go in to the micro adjust a crank it up to plus 15 or plus 20. It takes about 5 seconds to switch it for just that session, then I put it back to plus 5 after for normal use. And another way is simply to manual focus in live view, or even use live view auto focus.

With magic lantern on my cam I can set the 10X zoom to be automatic when I press the shutter half way, then adjust focus manually until sharp. So that is three different ways I can handle subjects close in where it would normally front focus closer that around 7 or 8 feet. Once you get used to it you realize that it's no big deal and that the photos are VERY MUCH WORTH the small extra trouble. When done right, this lens can take astounding photos as this sample thread shows.

This lens competes or us actually better than the 50L, so the photos are definitely worth the small bit of messing with live view or manual focus or simply changing your micro adjust quickly if you are going to be very close.

The main point is, I don't think there is anything wrong with these lenses, it doesn't have the floating element thing and therefor focusing at different distances is supposed to be a compromise, the bit of front focusing close in is exactly what it is supposed to do, that's how Sigma sets it. In the end, for me, the photos are VERY VERY worth the quirky personality of this lens.

Im not sure if it's the same with others and I don't know much about MA, but I found when I used MA any + rating would make it spot on at short distances, no matter what the subject. I had it at +16 which made it super sharp wide open but it would back focus severely at infinity. After more MA I found when you change the + setting it didn't effect focusing at short distances but it did effect long distances.

What I did was test it using a focus chart and got it spot on for both short and long distances at +9. 9/10 shots would be tack sharp and in focus wide open which is much better than on my previous body! Live View is the easiest solution to focusing problems but otherwise I'm extremely happy with how this lens works now!

Aressem wrote in post #16529067 (external link)
Beautiful bokeh :)

Thank you :)

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 16-35mm f2.8 GM
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

Website (external link) / flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link)

eon_designs
117 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 16, 2013 02:40 as a reply to  @ Dlee13's post |  #9783

Well, if Sigma design this lens to front focus then its a bit daft (IMHO) surely you would design a lens to just be bang on focus at what ever distance.

We had a party last night and our little ones were running around like mad things, I don't have time to keep changing the MA for shots that are close up and ones that are further away - you want a lens that you can just pick up and take a shot, they are running around so fast that you only have a split second to focus and take the shot. Having to continuously change the MA is a bit silly.

I had to decide if I wanted close up shots in focus or distance shots in focus - not very user friendly.

I had so many high hopes for this lens - as you can imagine, it is now being returned :-( I may try another one, but my confidence is now a little low. Rumors are that sigma might be bringing out an Art version of the lens and canon might be updating their version - will just wait and see.

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

guitarjeff
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 16, 2013 10:55 |  #9784

This isn't the lens I would ever choose for quickly moving kids. Changing MA is as fast as and faster than manual focusing or even auto focus in live view. As i said, for me, learning it's few quirks is easily worth the great pic quality. once you use it and find the best operating modes for your style and your camera body, you won't get better IQ for the money. But nope, if you want to shoot moving kids then it's probably not for you. I rarely ever shoot moving subjects and when I do I use my 100 F2 Canon with usm.

eon_designs wrote in post #16530865 (external link)
Well, if Sigma design this lens to front focus then its a bit daft (IMHO) surely you would design a lens to just be bang on focus at what ever distance.

We had a party last night and our little ones were running around like mad things, I don't have time to keep changing the MA for shots that are close up and ones that are further away - you want a lens that you can just pick up and take a shot, they are running around so fast that you only have a split second to focus and take the shot. Having to continuously change the MA is a bit silly.

I had to decide if I wanted close up shots in focus or distance shots in focus - not very user friendly.

I had so many high hopes for this lens - as you can imagine, it is now being returned :-( I may try another one, but my confidence is now a little low. Rumors are that sigma might be bringing out an Art version of the lens and canon might be updating their version - will just wait and see.

eon_designs
117 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 16, 2013 12:59 as a reply to  @ guitarjeff's post |  #9785

It's such a shame as I love a fast lens , in particular the 50mm range as it suits my style do shots. Well fingers crossed that either Canon or Sigma bring out a new 50mm.

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,346 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 18, 2013 09:42 |  #9786

eon_designs wrote in post #16531864 (external link)
It's such a shame as I love a fast lens , in particular the 50mm range as it suits my style do shots. Well fingers crossed that either Canon or Sigma bring out a new 50mm.

Not that there's anything bad about the 7D, but I feel the newer sensor works much better with a newer sensor! When trying to take photos of my girlfriend outside her house, out of like 12 photos only 3 photos where in focus and I shot mostly around f2.5. Now I got the 6D, I can comfortably shoot at f1.4 and have my photos perfectly in focus and tack sharp, even at MFD. Maybe if you upgrade your body you may have better luck with the 50, I know it's a brand new lens for me and the more I use it the more I love it!

Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

eon_designs
117 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 18, 2013 10:44 as a reply to  @ Dlee13's post |  #9787

As much as I would love to upgrade the body to a full frame, at this point in time it is too expensive just to see if a lens will work or not.

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,346 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 18, 2013 19:14 |  #9788

eon_designs wrote in post #16536926 (external link)
As much as I would love to upgrade the body to a full frame, at this point in time it is too expensive just to see if a lens will work or not.

Well I guess that depends on what you shoot. For me the better build quality, the ISO performance and true focal lengths were all reasons to upgrade and I couldn't be happier!

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,152 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Dec 19, 2013 20:00 |  #9789

guitarjeff wrote in post #16531519 (external link)
This isn't the lens I would ever choose for quickly moving kids. Changing MA is as fast as and faster than manual focusing or even auto focus in live view. As i said, for me, learning it's few quirks is easily worth the great pic quality. once you use it and find the best operating modes for your style and your camera body, you won't get better IQ for the money. But nope, if you want to shoot moving kids then it's probably not for you. I rarely ever shoot moving subjects and when I do I use my 100 F2 Canon with usm.

strange, because i've shot Ballroom and Latin dancing, and kids running around jumping, and moving dogs with this lens and haven't found anything wrong with it..

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,346 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 19, 2013 20:54 |  #9790

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3831/11447018655_f67dd50e37_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dlee13/11447018​655/  (external link)
Magic (external link) by Daniel E Lee (external link)

Frol
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 20, 2013 10:16 |  #9791

At f/1,6

IMAGE: http://imageshack.com/a/img96/553/izje.jpg

guitarjeff
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 20, 2013 11:20 |  #9792

Bobster wrote in post #16541156 (external link)
strange, because i've shot Ballroom and Latin dancing, and kids running around jumping, and moving dogs with this lens and haven't found anything wrong with it..

There we go, and I wouldn't hesitate to put my 5d2 in to continuous shooting and have a go at kids and such as well, I just rarely ever find myself needing to shoot moving subjects.

But I love this lens and think it gets a bad rap because most buyers don't understand it and the quirks you have to learn about it. I did the same thing, put it on my camera and the first thing I wanted to do was fill the frame, get in a couple feet away, then use a focus chart a couple feet away and got mad when it was front focusing a little.

Then I read through these hundreds of pages and realized that most every copy was front focusing a little when close to minimum focusing distance. Then I learned that Canon and Sigma usually set their 50m lenses and ten times the focal distance, which ends up being about 8 feet for a 50m. I took pics at 8 feet away, and guess what, PERFECT FOCUS!!!

I then read where Sigma even asked some of the customers how close they normally shoot. Then I learned about the lack of a floating element or whatever it is and it's the same with the Canon 1.2 50mm

I think that in most cases this lens is not malfunctioning, it simply requires a little understanding of it's quirks, most buyers just want to slap it on, fill the frame at 1.4 or 1.6 even on a full frame, and then get po'ed when it front focuses and then they come here, complain, and then sell the lens and add to the bad reputation.

For me, I have learned to adore this lens even with it's quirks. Almost as if I want to defend it against the bad rep it gets, like a child of mine or something. It's like a temperamental actor or something. I love it.

Den.S
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2013

Dec 21, 2013 02:03 |  #9793

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3782/11310239683_f519f2f7f1_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/den_spirin/11​310239683/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7424/11310160476_279c45fc46_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/den_spirin/11​310160476/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2810/11310240393_8dd28b563e_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/den_spirin/11​310240393/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2876/11307777366_179d943720_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/den_spirin/11​307777366/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2815/11307777166_83c9e4fcfb_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/den_spirin/11​307777166/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2885/11307778176_0207b0d391_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/den_spirin/11​307778176/  (external link)

King22
60 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2013 05:12 |  #9794

Hey guys, I got this lens abut 3 weeks ago, and havent really had time to shoot anything and test the lens, what Aperture is this lens sharpest at?

7D| Σ 50mm f/1.4 | 24-105 L

guitarjeff
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 21, 2013 07:35 |  #9795

King22 wrote in post #16544309 (external link)
Hey guys, I got this lens abut 3 weeks ago, and havent really had time to shoot anything and test the lens, what Aperture is this lens sharpest at?

Once I get to about 3.2 to 5.6 this baby is sharp as can be.

sponsored links

3,021,786 views & 161 likes for this thread
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM -SIGMALUX-
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.