Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 02 Jul 2008 (Wednesday) 10:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any reason to NOT get a Gitzo 1541T?

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 02, 2008 10:07 |  #1

I have been seriously kicking around upgrading my Bogen 055XPROB to a Gitzo 1541T, but after much searching it seems that there aren't too many people that decided to go the Gitzo Traveler route which is starting to make me wonder why. As far as I can tell the 1541T seems to be the ideal tripod. Tall enough for most, a 17.6lbs load limit, weighs only 2.1lbs, made of carbon fiber, built with gitzo quality and has all the latest and best gitzo tripod features.

Sounds like everything I would ever need as long as I never go larger than my 100-400L which I do not intend to do. So why are most going with larger Gitzo tripods? Is it that its just a high priced, specialty item that most who are buying Gitzo tripods are those with larger telephoto lenses and thus need to the higher load capacity of the larger Gitzos? Is it maybe because the 1541T is not very stable?

Tell me the negatives to owning a Gitzo 1541T tripod...

And for those that might ask I am intending to pair the 1541T with a Markins Q3T head with a Bogen quick release system for starters then migrate to the RRS Lever Clamp later.

Thanks everyone! Youre thoughts, opinions, and suggestions are always appreciated!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
Moonjo
401 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 02, 2008 11:32 |  #2

I don't have a response about the Gitzo 1541T, but why are you considering moving on from your 055XPROB? Is weight a big factor here?

5DMKIV BG-E20 | 5DMKIII BG-E11 | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS | Canon 135mm f/2.0L | Canon 85mm f/1.2L II | Canon 24-105 f/4.0L IS | 580EX II | 2 x Sigma 500 DG Super.... and other lighting stuff

Facebook (external link)

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 02, 2008 13:15 |  #3

Moonjo wrote in post #5835039 (external link)
I don't have a response about the Gitzo 1541T, but why are you considering moving on from your 055XPROB? Is weight a big factor here?

Very much so. The 055XPROB is 5lbs, where the 1541T is only 2lbs. The 055XPROB is 24" when closed, where the 1541T is 16". The 055XPROB has a max load capacity of 15lbs while the 1541T holds 17lbs. And the only bad part, the 055XPROB is $175 where the 1541T is $575, so a liiiiiittle price increase! lol But I am upgrading for all the advantages it offers. Having a strong stable tripod that weighs with ballhead about what a lens weighs (around 3lbs) would be ideal for me! The 055XPROB with 488RC4 head weighs 7lbs exactly. The Gitzo 1541T with a Markins Q3T head weighs only 3lbs and is about 10" shorter. MUCH better for portability!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 02, 2008 13:21 |  #4

ben_r_ wrote in post #5834563 (external link)
And for those that might ask I am intending to pair the 1541T with a Markins Q3T head with a Bogen quick release system for starters then migrate to the RRS Lever Clamp later.

Why reduce the abilities of the setup by converting to a Bogen QR? The Markins Q3TR comes with the industry standard AS QR system.

Jim

My Gear

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 02, 2008 13:30 |  #5

jhom wrote in post #5835647 (external link)
Why reduce the abilities of the setup by converting to a Bogen QR? The Markins Q3TR comes with the industry standard AS QR system.

Because I have to sell off all my Bogen QR stuff first to help fund the switch. The Markins or RRS (Which ever I choose to go with) accessories are drastically more expensive than the Bogen QR stuff.

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 02, 2008 17:19 |  #6

The 1T series Gitzo with a Q3TR would be a killer legset for those who do alot of traveling and/or hiking. This setup tends to be more of a speciality setup. I have yet to see negative comments of this setup. If I were traveling and/or hiking more than I am, it would likely be my only choice.

Jim

My Gear

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,751 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 02, 2008 20:37 |  #7

I just purchased the 1541t and it should arrive tomorrow. I saw the 1540 at the store. Its great. It almost looks like a toy. I have seen someone calling it flimsy but I didnt think so. Once i get it and mount my 1D and maybe the 300mm 2.8, I wil let you know :) how stable it is. Haha. I will post my thoughts about the thing once I get to play with it.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 02, 2008 20:52 |  #8

4g63photo wrote in post #5838004 (external link)
I just purchased the 1541t and it should arrive tomorrow. I saw the 1540 at the store. Its great. It almost looks like a toy. I have seen someone calling it flimsy but I didnt think so. Once i get it and mount my 1D and maybe the 300mm 2.8, I wil let you know :) how stable it is. Haha. I will post my thoughts about the thing once I get to play with it.

Please do! I would love to hear more about it! What head are you going to use with it? Also where on earth did you find one??? They are out of stock and back ordered at B&H, Amazon and Adorama!

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 02, 2008 20:59 |  #9

Try naturescapes.net. They have them listed. They are a good online retailer. I bought my 2530 from them.

Jim

My Gear

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 02, 2008 21:10 |  #10

jhom wrote in post #5838141 (external link)
Try naturescapes.net. They have them listed. They are a good online retailer. I bought my 2530 from them.

They dont show the traveler version, just the 1541, not the 1541T. That and Im kinda waiting B&H to get them back in stock as they are not only supporting the $40 mail in rebate, but are also giving a free Bogen bag with the purchase too. I dont need or want the bag so Ill sell that to make the deal a little sweeter.

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 02, 2008 21:13 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #11

They have the T version here:
http://www.naturescape​s.net …product.php?pro​ductid=360 (external link)

Currently out of stock. B&H, Adorama, and Naturescape all have had them come and go. It's a fairly new model(shipped in May I think), so supply hasn't caught up with demand. Keep looking.

John Caputo

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,751 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 02, 2008 21:27 |  #12

I think I got the last one at Netscape. Very nice people. As for the head (you guys are going to laugh) i bought a manfrotto 486rc2 just because I didnt have enough for a killer ball head setup. Thats next month.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 02, 2008 22:15 |  #13

4g63photo wrote in post #5838354 (external link)
I think I got the last one at Netscape. Very nice people. As for the head (you guys are going to laugh) i bought a manfrotto 486rc2 just because I didnt have enough for a killer ball head setup. Thats next month.

Im not laughing, thats actually what I am going to be using it with for a little while too. Its light, already compatible with all my Bogen quick release stuff and it hold plenty of weight.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,813 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 02, 2008 22:19 |  #14

Ben, you absolutely do not want to cripple this new top of the line rig with a Bogen QR set up.

You don;t HAVE to buy RRS or the other pricey Arca plates, despite what RRS claims, the generic RRS plates function just fine and still give you all of the Arca advantages.
Yes the RRS, Kirk Wimberly etc are made better,. but I've been working with a mix of the best plates (two of them) along side some of the cheapest plates you can buy from E-bay for years, and frankly in use I don't notice the difference.

Obviously take it all as you go, one step at a time.
But in the end, all roads lead to Arca.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Moonjo
401 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 02, 2008 23:41 |  #15

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #5838701 (external link)
...despite what RRS claims, the generic RRS plates function just fine and still give you all of the Arca advantages.

Just curious, which ones are the generic RRS plates? Do you mean any RRS plate other than their L plate?

5DMKIV BG-E20 | 5DMKIII BG-E11 | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS | Canon 135mm f/2.0L | Canon 85mm f/1.2L II | Canon 24-105 f/4.0L IS | 580EX II | 2 x Sigma 500 DG Super.... and other lighting stuff

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

26,794 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any reason to NOT get a Gitzo 1541T?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.