Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 02 Jul 2008 (Wednesday) 10:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any reason to NOT get a Gitzo 1541T?

travelbuds
26 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 03, 2008 01:11 |  #16

Hi,
I am also looking at this tripod. Just out of curiousity, do you have any misgivings about the 52.5 inches for maximum height listed at above site? I'm only 6', and think that I would have a sore back bending over.
Thanks.

sponsored links
JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 03, 2008 06:40 as a reply to  @ travelbuds's post |  #17

I do wish it was taller, and stronger, but still weigh the same and fold to the same size. I looked, but never found the perfect, no compromise pod :) Given the 1541t's portability, it's actually quite tall. With the column extended + ball head + camera, it does meet my eye (5'11"). "L" plate helps with vertical shots.

The center column is good for light lenses(haven't tried a windy day). But, I wouldn't use this pod for leaning on all day, such as hours of wildlife, sports.... With the column collapsed, for longer lens stability, the stoop is a bit extreme and would kill by back. For such uses I'd look at the taller pods, that meet my eye without the column extended, and sacrifice the portability.

I made my 1541t even shorter with the ground level center column. It no longer meets my eye with the column extended, but now I can get really low! :)

John Caputo

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,751 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 03, 2008 23:33 |  #18

I just got my tripod. This thing is tiny. Its a little bitty thing. Almost looks flimsy like someone said. Geez. Its tiny. I have mixed feelings. I know I will love it for my hikes. I will be going out tomorrow with it so I will get a chance to test it out.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 04, 2008 05:15 as a reply to  @ 4g63photo's post |  #19

The size just makes the stability more impressive. For something that only weights 2lbs, you'll be very impressed with how well it handles 10lbs of gear. I'm sure the 2 & 3 series are even more solid, but I'm much more likely to pack this on a trip. You'll see. :)

John Caputo

blary54
156 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 04, 2008 06:15 as a reply to  @ JC4's post |  #20

The only reason not to buy the Gitzo is it is $$$$

Canon 40D
EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
EF 28-135 IS
EF 50mm f/1.8
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 04, 2008 09:44 |  #21

Well I cant wait for them to come back into stock! The 055XPROB kills the back if I have to carry it for any amount of time. Im looking forward to being able to literally take a tripod ANYWHERE I go!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,751 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 04, 2008 17:04 |  #22

Went out this morning to try out the tripod. Great piece of equipment. I cant believe I have never owned a tripod. I didnt care for the ballhead though. Maybe I was expecting more from the ballhead.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 04, 2008 18:17 |  #23

Which ballhead?

Jim

My Gear

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,751 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 04, 2008 18:59 |  #24

I bought Manfrotto 486 because I did not have enough for a Markins/Arca or RRS.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 04, 2008 20:25 |  #25

4g63photo wrote in post #5850361 (external link)
I bought Manfrotto 486 because I did not have enough for a Markins/Arca or RRS.

Yep...The 486 is an inexpensive no frills ballhead that holds lightweight gear. No question, you will need to upgrade when get a chance. The Gitzo won't be living up to all its potential until you do so. But in the meanwhile, you will come to appreciate a great tripod.

My recommendation for your legs is a Q3 or Q3TR. It will be like night and day difference compared to the 486.

Jim

My Gear

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,751 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 05, 2008 00:02 |  #26

I have never used a ballhead like that. What is the big deal about it? I really dont know. Does it hold the gear in place better? When you loosen the knob, does the gear fall side ways like my current ball head? Thanks Jhom.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 05, 2008 03:24 |  #27

4g63photo wrote in post #5851535 (external link)
I have never used a ballhead like that. What is the big deal about it? I really dont know. Does it hold the gear in place better?

Yes.
Also it doesn't move when you tighten it.
(Actually, since the drag control an a Markins is excellent, you don't *have* to tighten it.

4g63photo wrote in post #5851535 (external link)
When you loosen the knob, does the gear fall side ways like my current ball head?

No.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,856 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 06, 2008 16:50 |  #28

Moonjo wrote in post #5839120 (external link)
Just curious, which ones are the generic RRS plates? Do you mean any RRS plate other than their L plate?

Sorry, meant to day generic Arca plates.. :confused:

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Moonjo
401 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 06, 2008 17:41 |  #29

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #5860518 (external link)
Sorry, meant to day generic Arca plates.. :confused:

Ah! Ok, that makes me feel better. I was thinking I missed something completely on RRS' site. ;)

5DMKIV BG-E20 | 5DMKIII BG-E11 | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS | Canon 135mm f/2.0L | Canon 85mm f/1.2L II | Canon 24-105 f/4.0L IS | 580EX II | 2 x Sigma 500 DG Super.... and other lighting stuff

Facebook (external link)

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 07, 2008 14:24 |  #30

AWESOME! They just came back in stock at B&H with the $40 MIR and the Bogen bag! Ordering now!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links

26,878 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any reason to NOT get a Gitzo 1541T?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.