Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Jul 2008 (Wednesday) 10:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Color space and profile issue in CS3

shutter_blitz
308 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 02, 2008 10:52 |  #1

I tried to read through as many CM posts and links as I could but none of them have a reference to my problem.

Some background; I used to edit my pictures using two laptops - a Dell latitude at work(not photography related) and a sony viao at home. DPP and zoom browser are loaded on the viao. CS2 was loaded on the dell. Viao was used for basic DPP batch processing, finer editing was done on dell using the CS2. The CS2 copy was free to use at work and I downloaded it off my company's network.

I never color managed either of my laptops in anyway. I only made sure RAWs in CS2 were opened as 16-bit files in sRGB and my camera is set to sRGB. Given all this my images would transfer from one laptop to another with all colors, exposure intact. No matter where I viewed, IE, DPP, zoom browser, CS2 the pictures, they never looked off. My editing workflow was pretty seamless.

The present; I left my job last week and at my new company I cannot use their editing software for personal use. So, I had to download CS3 extended trial version on my viao. I started to edit a bunch of RAW files and found that CS3's camera raw window does not have the option to set the bit size and color space like in the previous version (or am I missing something). Next, when I open the files in CS3 I find that the shadows in my pictures have a rusty, ruddy tinge to them.
I do not see this tinge when I save the files as TIFFs and view them in IE or when I view the same RAW/TIff files in zoombrowser/DPP.
I do not print any of my pictures. I can't buy any calibration software at the moment. I just need the CS3 on my laptop to match my camera's sRGB profile.

Any help is appreciated.

Gear:
Canon 50D
EF 50mm f1.4 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
Sunpak 383
Quantaray QSX-9500

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 02, 2008 11:44 |  #2

shutter_blitz wrote in post #5834845 (external link)
I started to edit a bunch of RAW files and found that CS3's camera raw window does not have the option to set the bit size and color space like in the previous version (or am I missing something)

You are missing something, but you aren't the first ;)
Click

On a side note, even if you're using sRGB, you'll still see the difference between sRGB and your monitors profile in a colormanaged application.
In a non colormanaged application, all bets are off anyways.

I'd recommend saving a bit of money for a calibrator ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

shutter_blitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 02, 2008 12:18 |  #3

Thanks for the link, I found it!

I understand that I will see differences, but from what I understand XP is not color managed (https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=296149) and so IE should be the application thats off, but it isn't and CS3 is the one thats off.
What I am confused about is why did I have seamless integration with CS2 sans color management but not with CS3? How is CS2's sRGB color space different from CS3's?

I definitely will buy a calibration software in the future but like I said not at the moment.

Gear:
Canon 50D
EF 50mm f1.4 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
Sunpak 383
Quantaray QSX-9500

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 02, 2008 14:19 |  #4

shutter_blitz wrote in post #5835297 (external link)
What I am confused about is why did I have seamless integration with CS2 sans color management but not with CS3? How is CS2's sRGB color space different from CS3's?

Probably the settings: If you want to work not color managed, set PS color settings to "Monitor Color". Then it displays identical to IE.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 02, 2008 18:17 |  #5

shutter_blitz wrote in post #5835297 (external link)
Thanks for the link, I found it!

I understand that I will see differences, but from what I understand XP is not color managed (https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=296149) and so IE should be the application thats off, but it isn't and CS3 is the one thats off.

I definitely will buy a calibration software in the future but like I said not at the moment.

sRgb is the same regardless of software or platform: that's the whole point of the color profile.

You're missing something fundamental about color management, but i'm not sure what it is. Can you describe your problem again?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 02, 2008 18:19 |  #6

René Damkot wrote in post #5835091 (external link)
I'd recommend saving a bit of money for a calibrator ;)

I always look at people's gear lists. If I see the letter "L", there's no excuses - if you can afford one of those lenses, you can afford a calibrator.

:lol:

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

880 views & 0 likes for this thread
Color space and profile issue in CS3
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.