Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Jul 2008 (Friday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS Utility

boomer3297
359 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 04, 2008 14:42 |  #1

Hi everyone,

Simple question (I think).... Can I get the EOS utility to read my card reader by default? Right now the Adobe downloader is doing this task and I'd like to change it....
Thanks!

Mike Attanasio
www.AttanasioImagery.c​om (external link)

sponsored links
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 04, 2008 14:54 |  #2

Yes, but you would have to edit your Autoplay Event Handlers. Are you comfortable editing your Windows Registry?

Gear List

boomer3297
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 04, 2008 14:57 |  #3

FedkaTheConvict wrote in post #5849375 (external link)
Yes, but you would have to edit your Autoplay Event Handlers. Are you comfortable editing your Windows Registry?

That sounds way too confusing for this task....Why the registry?

Mike Attanasio
www.AttanasioImagery.c​om (external link)

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 04, 2008 15:07 |  #4

Because that's where the Autoplay Event Handlers are stored.
The easy way would be to put a card in your reader and see if an Autoplay dialog box pops up asking you which application you want to use to transfer your photos. If it does you can specific EOS Utility from that dialog box but often times the option is chosen not to show the dialog box so it defaults to a particular application. When that happens to only way to change it is in the Registry itself.

Gear List

blinded
298 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 04, 2008 15:18 |  #5

Don't download with the EOS Utility. It sets the date created and modified to the current system time they're being downloaded, problematic if you're sorting in windows.

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 04, 2008 23:27 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

blinded wrote in post #5849468 (external link)
Don't download with the EOS Utility. It sets the date created and modified to the current system time they're being downloaded, problematic if you're sorting in windows.

I never knew that (not that it really affects me). Thanks for that tidbit.

To the OP - try this. With the camera connected to the PC and turned on, open up My Computer. You should (hopefully) see the camera. Right click on it, select properties from the drop down menu. One of the tab should be called 'autoplay' from memory. You should (hopefully) be able to set the options from there.

Dave

http://www.macro-images.com/ (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 05, 2008 04:59 |  #7

dpastern wrote in post #5851396 (external link)
To the OP - try this. With the camera connected to the PC and turned on, ....

The OP asked about using EOS Utility with a card reader.

OP - I don't think it can be done. If you open EOS Utility without the camera-pc usb connection the downloading function is disabled.
However, Canon has another utility called the Zoombrowser EX Memory Card Utility which downloads just like EOS Utility. Although it is a standalone you can only get it bundled with Zoombrowser. To obtain it download and install Zoombrowser EX 6.0 and then uninstall everything but the Memory Card Utility. It can be easily set to Auto-Play when a card with images is inserted into the reader. Kind of stupid of Canon not to make it available separately.

edit - I just thought that it may be possible to do a custom installation, selecting only the utility.

Elie / אלי

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 05, 2008 07:24 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Ah my bad. I didn't notice that. Why on Earth would you want to do that, EOS Utility is *designed* to communicate with a camera. That's it.

OP - try downloader pro.

Dave

tzalman wrote in post #5852261 (external link)
The OP asked about using EOS Utility with a card reader.

OP - I don't think it can be done. If you open EOS Utility without the camera-pc usb connection the downloading function is disabled.
However, Canon has another utility called the Zoombrowser EX Memory Card Utility which downloads just like EOS Utility. Although it is a standalone you can only get it bundled with Zoombrowser. To obtain it download and install Zoombrowser EX 6.0 and then uninstall everything but the Memory Card Utility. It can be easily set to Auto-Play when a card with images is inserted into the reader. Kind of stupid of Canon not to make it available separately.

edit - I just thought that it may be possible to do a custom installation, selecting only the utility.

http://www.macro-images.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,344 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS Utility
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.