Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Jul 2008 (Monday) 23:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200L & 70-300 EF IS & first poster

jfarsang
73 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 07, 2008 23:02 |  #1

First post :mrgreen:

Have been lurking here on and off for the past year.

New user of a 30D and absorbing as much info every day and shooting experience as my brain and eyes can handle.

I do aerial photography with a remote controlled helicopter incl spherical pano's.

Heading on a 1-2 year north to south america driving excursion (leaving next year) and looking to hone my almost nil ground photog experience to something workable on the road within the next year.

For gear I went with the 30D because we'll probably shoot a lot of surfing/water sports.

For prime/macro lenses, I haven't had the opportunity to get something together yet.

For a carry-around tele/zoom between these two guys :

200L and 300 EF IS

I realize there are a million posts pro's/con's as I probably read most of them (long nights and strained eyes) until I could read no more.

I bit the bullet, went out and got them both and will see which one I prefer and then sell the other. :-D

As with most people asking the question... which is better.... I quickly learned that it will depend on my personal taste, subject matter and wallet size.

That's about the one piece of advice I can give to anyone deciding between the two (70-200/300 zooms seem to be the 'in' thing these days) :

Try them both out if you can. They are different.

This site has been an invaluable wealth of info and a great tool.

Looking forward to reading more and posting.

Jesse

40D | 70-200L | 18-55 IS | insert lens here | a steady hand | n' other stuff

SlowBlink
"I like dog butts"
1,926 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 07, 2008 23:11 |  #2

70-200 would be my choice. Tack sharp seems to be the case with all the models. My next is the 70-200 2.8

Rob
Anatidaephobia - The Fear That You are Being Watched by a Duck.

jfarsang
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 07, 2008 23:48 |  #3

SlowBlink wrote in post #5869489 (external link)
70-200 would be my choice. Tack sharp seems to be the case with all the models. My next is the 70-200 2.8

That's what I'm thinking in my head as well.

Being at similar price points, I just decided to try them both.

My gut is telling me the 70-200 will stay.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,352 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 07, 2008 23:55 |  #4

for me the 200 wasn't long enough...hell the 300 still isn't long enough...i'm looking into a 1.4 TCon for it...it all depends on what you're shooting though...if it's wildlife/nature i'd go as long as you can afford...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

jfarsang
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 08, 2008 00:05 |  #5

For now, I'm going to use them and see which one fits my eye the best.

Will probably be the 70-200 w 1.4x on it if I'm shooting in bright sunlight.

I'd love to go 400-500, but lack of experience and weight/size are the hold backs at the moment.

70-200 seems to be an excellent/sharp all around lens to build on.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

748 views & 0 likes for this thread
70-200L & 70-300 EF IS & first poster
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.