Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 09 Jul 2008 (Wednesday) 17:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do u protect ur self/gear

Eagle
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 09, 2008 19:46 |  #16

j-paka wrote in post #5881759 (external link)
what about when storing it at home like a big safe or a lock box like what if u go away for a while and leave ur camera at home

Mines in the bag locked in the big gun safe bolted to the bedroom wall.

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

sponsored links
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 09, 2008 19:55 |  #17

Insurance, my man, insurance. :)

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

LW ­ Dail
703 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 09, 2008 20:03 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #18

Husband is usually with me. Or I'm with people.

Also have my concealed carry and my little friend "Mack" with me (Taurus .38 snub-nosed revolver with a 5-shot cylinder loaded with Winchester hydroshock hollowpoints).

Oh, I should add that to the "What do you carry in your bag" posting! Of course, it stays in my purse!

Canon 5D: 24-105mm L IS, 100-400mm L IS. Canon PowerShot ELPH 340HS, Canon GII. Canon AE-1: FD 50mm, 80-200mm. Holga 120N.
"Photography is my one recreation, and I think it should be done well." Lewis Carroll

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 09, 2008 23:19 |  #19

Insurance. Someone robs me, no problem. Ill be going on a shopping spree as soon as I get back to my insurance agent! lol

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Cotmweasel
995 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 09, 2008 23:37 |  #20

I just stay aware of where I'm at. If I go to an area that could be a bit... rough. I take a friend and only the body + lens. not my whole pack. If I'm in a good area then I might take the whole pack.

-Dave
Equipment List:Canon Rebel XTi, Canon 7D, EF-S 18-55mm (Kit lens), EF 28-135mm IS, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM, Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 Planar T* (converted to canon), EF 70-200mm F/4 L, EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro, 430EX, MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Flash.
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/cotmweasel/ (external link)

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jul 10, 2008 06:06 |  #21

I have a 4 inch tall Doxie that does all the talking for me. Very effective.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jul 10, 2008 08:11 |  #22

Foam....lots and lots of foam....people seeing me walk around often mistake me for the Michelin man!

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 13, 2008 14:57 |  #23

How you defend depends on what kind of person you are. There are the

1. Just give him my gear and he'll leave, and I'll collect my big fat insurance check
2. Just give him my gear and pray he doesn't shoot me to take away a witness
3. Stand up for myself and carry a weapon (gun , knife, club, whatever) and refuse to become a victim

#3 is dictated by where you live. In Texas, our laws authorize use of deadly force for protection of property. In Utah, their laws do not authorize use of deadly for for protection of property. So your state laws may limit what you can do.

I think, in general, that most people (i.e. criminals) don't really know how much money people are carrying aroud in gear with them. I doubt most of them wouldn't even know the difference from a Rebel film camera to a Canon 5D. In a sense, this ignorance of gear costs will somewhat protect you, because if you are walking around with only your Canon 1DsMKIII and 24-105L lens, and another guy has a back pack with a Rebel XT, and 5-6 consumer grade lenses I'm willing to bet that the guy with the Rebel becomes more of a target than you (simply because he "looks" like he has more gear).

I had a similar post

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?t=501207&hig​hlight=gun

Not everyone can, or is mentally ready, to carry a gun. There is nothing wrong with that. However, I highly recommend that people should have a small cannister of pepper spray in their camera bag. When you are carrying several thousands of dollars worth of equipment, it seems to me that you would want something to ward off thugs and not give up your gear so easily if you have a means.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

SlowBlink
"I like dog butts"
1,926 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 13, 2008 15:18 |  #24

Situational awareness is my main preference. It does give me an idea though.

Shopping list:
Half pound of asparagus
Diuretic tablets
Squirt gun (mini super soaker)
Can of synthetic skunk juice

Rob
Anatidaephobia - The Fear That You are Being Watched by a Duck.

steved110
Cream of the Crop
5,776 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 13, 2008 18:15 |  #25

SlowBlink wrote in post #5903558 (external link)
Situational awareness is my main preference. It does give me an idea though.

Shopping list:
Half pound of asparagus
Diuretic tablets
Squirt gun (mini super soaker)
Can of synthetic skunk juice

I'm curious - what do you want the diuretics for?

Personally I am insured, take due care and note of my surroundings, and only carry the gear I think I will want to use - I don't like carrying stuff around all day for the hell of it - so I usually only have my 20D and one or two lenses in a slingshot 200. If my house gets burgled and I lose my gear, I'll just replace it along with everything else that gets taken. Won't make up for feeling violated though.

In the UK a mugger can pretty much can sue you if he hurts himself hitting you, let alone if you use a monopod like a quarterstaff. Alas. And only crims carry weapons here.

Canon 6D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 , Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L Canon EF 24-70 f/4 IS L and 70-200 f/4 L :D
Speedlite 580EX and some bags'n pods'n stuff

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,629 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 13, 2008 18:31 |  #26

WOW!!... Interesting answers!...

Ok. Let's see...

- I Personally think the gun is not as helpful when EXCLUSIVELY taking photographs. At least in my neck of the woods, carrying a gun and being a press photographer is a recipe for disaster (Because you enter and exit private property, and other places where even concealed carry is not allowed, so you either expose yourself, or you end up leaving the piece in the car all day long, which is a good way to have it stolen. I'd rather loose 3 cameras instead of 1 pistol. Sorry, crazy me).

- Insurance. This is the big point I was expecting to see overspoken about in the thread. You can do one of several things. Check you renter's/home owners insurance, and give them a call, in regards to which and how much of your equipment would be covered under their insurance. These are sometimes good for hobby coverage, though not if you make sizeable income out of them -as they could argue it is commercial use and therefore not under home/rent policy-. There are also specific photography gear insurers, and for a few hundred bucks a year you can have all your gear, laptop, etc. insured inside and outside the US, protected from everything but negligence.

- Awareness. Yeah, definitely helps. Specially while crossing the street. Same applies to photography and human self-preservation. Stay with the flock, and avoid shooting homeless people downtown at 2am by yourself -unless you know what you are doing-.

- Storing at home. Humidity, and other much less extreme situations worry me about the gear. Find a place away from kids, away from dogs, dust and water. Even inside their bag, the camera and lenses can sit pretty and ready till next time. Gun Safe? If you have one, sure. Otherwise, anything will do.

- I really liked the first response to the original post. Cannot let paranoia rule photography. Most of us got our first camera and never really got to use it until we became overly bored of seeing it sitting at home. When I upgraded to the 1D Mk III, I read its manual, studied settings, and handled it like crazy. But I hardly took it for a shoot for the first two months. I used the other 1D, the Mk II. Finally on a Baseball game coverage I decided to use it. Truth is, It came home a bit older than it left, but the photos I took with it, and the awe I felt that entire evening of that new camera, were worth it.

So... INSURE, AVOID UNNECESSARY RISK, BE A PHOTOGRAPHER !!

(And don't take candy from strangers).

My .02 on the subject. :)

Mario "MJ" Gravina
A Grayscale man in a Kodachrome world...
www.mariogravina.com (external link)

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 13, 2008 18:36 |  #27

Woolburr wrote in post #5885037 (external link)
Foam....lots and lots of foam....people seeing me walk around often mistake me for the Michelin man!

HA that would be a site.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 13, 2008 18:47 as a reply to  @ post 5882036 |  #28

First off all gear should be insured. I usually carry my snub nose 38. and thankfully I have never had a need to use it. I am however looking to purchase a backpack so that no one could run off with anything. I am very aware of my surroundings but ( as most of us I am sure ) it is very easy to get distracted when you are shooting and all caught up in the moment. I have only had one issue the entire time that I have been shooting were someone tried to make off with my bag. I am 6'2" 220 and i ain't slow. I learned one thing from this altercation. Even though many people have said they carry a stick, gun, pepper spray, ect, my gear took quite a fall along with the fellow that tried to snatch it and it was a couple weeks before Canon fixed it and sent it back my way. So my best advice is keep you gear on your person via backpack if at all possible.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

LeesaB
"Patience is a what? "
14,682 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 13, 2008 20:17 |  #29

Insurance!

LeesaB
www.LisaNikole.com (external link)
ME (external link)

sponsored links

2,778 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do u protect ur self/gear
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.