Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Jul 2008 (Friday) 19:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mini-Review of the Sigma 150-500 vs Canon 100-400L

liquidstone
insane Bird photographer
1,088 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 13, 2008 19:50 |  #61

condyk wrote in post #5901868 (external link)
Cool, so I can spend £1147 on the Canon combo with 2 stop OS or £695 on the Sigma with four stop OS and get pretty much the same results ... and with auton-focus :lol::lol:

I too want the 150-500 OS to be optically good, as it presents a tantalizing alternative to the 100-400 for a compact wildlife lens with stabilization.

Our local Sigma distributor here has made available to me a review copy of the 150-500, and I went to their shop to pick it up several weeks ago. That copy was very soft though, so I'm waiting for their next shipment so I can pick the best of the lot. A couple of birding buddies have bought theirs, and I've handled one in the field. OS and AF speed look decent, but again the optics don't impress.

I've not given up yet on the design, and I'm hoping that optical issues (I always use MF via Live View in checking IQ to preclude any AF issues) might just be due to early production run hiccups. Perhaps in a couple more months, we'll be able to see the full potential of the 150-500 design, as more copies (hopefully some are good ones) reach the hand of experienced shooters.

Romy

Romy Ocon, Philippine Wild Birds (external link)
Over 260 species captured in habitat, and counting.

sponsored links
In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 13, 2008 21:00 |  #62

liquidstone wrote in post #5904888 (external link)
... Perhaps in a couple more months, we'll be able to see the full potential of the 150-500 design, as more copies (hopefully some are good ones) reach the hand of experienced shooters.

Romy

Romy, mine comes this week so I'll make sure you to post my findings. I'm sure that is what you are waiting for. :lol:

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 14, 2008 02:00 |  #63

liquidstone wrote in post #5904888 (external link)
I've not given up yet on the design, and I'm hoping that optical issues (I always use MF via Live View in checking IQ to preclude any AF issues) might just be due to early production run hiccups. Perhaps in a couple more months, we'll be able to see the full potential of the 150-500 design, as more copies (hopefully some are good ones) reach the hand of experienced shooters.

Mine was nice wide open at 500mm and I enjoyed it, but for where and how I mainly shoot I couldn't justify keeping it and my 70-200/400mm once the latter came back from the lens hospital. My ex Bigma was hand picked from a bunch and it does pay off. Very nice lens that one.

In2Photos wrote in post #5905323 (external link)
Romy, mine comes this week so I'll make sure you to post my findings. I'm sure that is what you are waiting for. :lol:

Yeah, I got the estimated test date in my diary from way back ;)

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 14, 2008 19:32 |  #64

Well my fun lens purchase just came in, 1000mm of manual focusing fun! Nothing to do with the Bigmos, but thought I would throw a couple of test shots from it here.

Same test subjects as before, but these are 100% resized down, not crops. Interesting lens to play with, but I will probably sell it later here on POTN. I don't have the patience to manually focus this beast.

The beast is a Rubinar 1000mm f/10...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 14, 2008 20:44 |  #65

TS...you are an ANIMAL...I love reading I am not the only one who buys stuff for the shear fun of it...what a cool toy. I did some reading on the thing and actually it's not awful. For a few hundred bucks what a lot of fun, the conversational value of it alone is worth the entry fee.

Share more!! :)

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

liquidstone
insane Bird photographer
1,088 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 14, 2008 20:55 |  #66

TeamSpeed wrote in post #5911462 (external link)
Well my fun lens purchase just came in, 1000mm of manual focusing fun! Nothing to do with the Bigmos, but thought I would throw a couple of test shots from it here.

Same test subjects as before, but these are 100% resized down, not crops. Interesting lens to play with, but I will probably sell it later here on POTN. I don't have the patience to manually focus this beast.

The beast is a Rubinar 1000mm f/10...

Looks better than I expected, is that a mirror lens?

Romy Ocon, Philippine Wild Birds (external link)
Over 260 species captured in habitat, and counting.

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 14, 2008 21:39 |  #67

Great thread TS. I was still in two minds until I saw your samples. Cheers!

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 14, 2008 21:40 |  #68

liquidstone wrote in post #5911954 (external link)
Looks better than I expected, is that a mirror lens?

Yes, and it is one heck of Russian engineering. Everything is metal, hood, 3 massive filters, nice carry bag, etc. Too bad I cannot read Russian, the directions do me no good. If you think the 85L takes forever to go from one extreme to the other, you should see this lens. It has one crazy infiniti range too. I tried to hook my Kenkos up to it, but the body errored out. The EOS mount that is on this thing talks to the body by itself, but not through the TC.

It makes moon shots easy, only crop out about half the pic. Both of the following (and the prior two) are all hand-held @ 1000mm. Bokeh is indeed strange, and DOF is pretty thin at f/10. The mower was 3 properties over, and came out pretty good for a manual focus.

One of the more fun lenses for under $400!

I will probably put together a decent mini-review and repost these pics there. I will then probably list it this next weekend, I don't see much use for it between a 2x TC and either the 100-400 or 150-500, but this 1000mm paparazzi lens CANNOT be beat for under $400.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 14, 2008 22:23 |  #69

Now, this is the Sigma using a Kenko 2x for the same 1000mm, it is at f/13 and also is manually focused BUT it has OS! Just to compare to this Rubinar lens...

HOSTED PHOTO

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 15, 2008 18:44 |  #70

I started my mini-review of the Rubinar, you may now check it out.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=537136

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 16, 2008 00:16 |  #71

cool...running to check

Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,198 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 16, 2008 05:16 |  #72

I found the size and weight of the Canon hard to give up compared to the extra 500mm. Speed also helped and the fact that (my copies) the canon was sharper and showed less CA and corner softness wide open (which on the Farne Islands this weekend I was really glad to have). Canon is a better lens. Costs more though.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 17, 2008 12:31 |  #73

Neilyb wrote in post #5920158 (external link)
I found the size and weight of the Canon hard to give up compared to the extra 500mm. Speed also helped and the fact that (my copies) the canon was sharper and showed less CA and corner softness wide open (which on the Farne Islands this weekend I was really glad to have). Canon is a better lens. Costs more though.

Some of your findings is why I have put mine up for sale in the Sell forum, it was too big to fit in my backpack, and the weight after a period of time does become a nuisance. Not really tiring, just a nuisance really. So anybody looking for the lens uses in this review, run over to the Sell board!

I might shed a tear as I place it back into its padded case...

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 17, 2008 22:15 |  #74

Oh, I updated my listing here, you can utilize the current 20% ebay discount if you would like me to list instead of buying it off me directly.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=537949

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 22, 2008 16:46 |  #75

AWESOME ya sold it...someone got a steal!!

sponsored links

74,350 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mini-Review of the Sigma 150-500 vs Canon 100-400L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.