Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jul 2008 (Tuesday) 18:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Xti vs 40D pic quality

PNPhotography
806 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 15, 2008 18:05 |  #1

Ok I've read most EVERY post and alot of reviews on the 40D and I'm close to deciding if I want to "upgrade" from my XTI( I am happy with my XTI pic quality with good glass on it).I realize that most people are glowing over their new 40D but I want to hear from those who upgraded is the picture quality any better than the XTI. It seems the sensor is the same one on both camera's but obviously the periferals on the 40D MIGHT enable one to get a better quality shot.So can anyone really say that the picture quality is any better or are you just paying for the upgraded features.
Thanks
Rookie

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

sponsored links
Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 15, 2008 18:08 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

canon rookie wrote in post #5917496 (external link)
Ok I've read most EVERY post and alot of reviews on the 40D and I'm close to deciding if I want to "upgrade" from my XTI( I am happy with my XTI pic quality with good glass on it).I realize that most people are glowing over their new 40D but I want to hear from those who upgraded is the picture quality any better than the XTI. It seems the sensor is the same one on both camera's but obviously the periferals on the 40D MIGHT enable one to get a better quality shot.So can anyone really say that the picture quality is any better or are you just paying for the upgraded features.
Thanks
Rookie

If you are happy with pictures from your XTi, why do you want to upgrade?

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

Samanax
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 15, 2008 18:19 as a reply to  @ Hermeto's post |  #3

I think image quality will be very close between a XTi and a 40D.

I think the biggest difference between the two DSLRs is performance and handling.

I own a XTi and I enjoy using it, but I can't help but wonder how much better the performance is with the 40D.

Between the two I think the picture quality will be similar, but the picture taking experience is probably very different.

:) Samanax

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/samanax/ (external link)

PNPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 15, 2008 18:25 |  #4

Well I like to shoot sports and the higher burst rate is appealing along with the larger size of the camera not to mention I recieved a nice offer to on my XTI.
rookie

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|

nordstern1
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 15, 2008 20:41 |  #5

high ISO performance is a lot better with the 40D compared to the XTi...

JOE
G10 | 5D | 40D | 17-55 2.8 IS | 16-35 2.8 L II | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8 IS L | 85 1.2 L II | 430EX
manfrotto | tenba | crumpler | clik elite | tamrac | op/tech | blackrapid | sandisk | b+w | marumi | giottos | mac | buffalo

The_Terminator
178 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 15, 2008 21:03 as a reply to  @ nordstern1's post |  #6

If you were looking at a nice picture that appeals to your senses, whether on screen or in print, I'd wager that you'd be hard pressed to figure out what camera was used to take that picture.
I'm not saying the camera makes no difference, but there's tens of thousands of examples of astounding photos taken by the XTi all over the web.
The XTi can take marvelous photos, just like any other decent camera.

It sounds like you want a 40D for the handling and speed. Those are great things to consider, but image quality alone would not be an earth shattering upgrade, if it's discernable in the first place.

I only exist for your entertainment.

davo_robbo
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 15, 2008 21:08 |  #7

^ sure is..
40D is just a glorified XTI (xti with higher fps, better user functions, weather sealing, build quality and high iso performance)

though if you want something for doing sports with a fairly decent sensor maybe you should have a look at a used 1d mk2? you can ususally pick them up on the forum for around 1700 or so..

otherswise the image quality is virtually the same between the two bodies..

you say your happy with the XTI picture quality so there really isnt a huge incentive to upgrade..

maybe its just better to wait for the release of the 5Dmk2 or the 50D?
50D is aparently coming out january.. i'd imagine it would have a better sensor and better LCD among with better high iso performance..

i have an XTI and im upgrading to the 5D in the next few months after i get a 50L and a 17-40.. good glass will always look good on any body..

5Dc | 24LII/45 TS/50L/85 Sigma
Canberra Wedding Photographer - David Robertson (external link) | [URL="http://www.faceb​ook.com/#!/pages/David​-Robertson-Photography/2927518399​29?ref=ts"]Facebook Page | [URL="http://twitter.c​om/davidrphoto"]Twitte​r | [URL="http://www.forms​pring.me/drobertsonpho​to"]GOT Photography Q's? (Formspring)

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 15, 2008 21:12 |  #8

Don't forget that the 40D's AF is head and shoulders above the XTi's...... It is not all about IQ.

Burst rate is mostly over-rated. Although sometimes I just hold down my shutter button on my MkIIN to listen to it sing..... :)

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

NeoTokyo
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 16, 2008 02:51 |  #9

Well I had the XTi for a while and loved it, if you look at my flickr all those were taken with the XTi and the most recent coupled with some fine L glass (70-200mm f4)

If you wait until this weekend and next week and I will have some 40D shots up. I will mark which ones are taken with the 40D in the description.

Based on my shooting style you might be able to see a difference.

I chose it for better ISO processing, enhanced micro lenses, the alloy body, the weight, the fps, the AF system and a few others, but not live view :D

I have to say that every time I used a 40D I fell in love, it just feels right to me, and a bat grip will make it better.

I bought mine from sams club (1,016 after tax and shipping) and it will be here tomorrow. I know I didnt get the best deal price wise but I get the 100% customer satisfaction guarantee and that never expires. I returned my XTi to them because of hot pixels, got $700 cash handed to me in less than 2 minutes.

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/ (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 16, 2008 04:29 |  #10

By coincidence, I read yesterday an item by Chuck Westphal, Canon's North American spokesman, in which he answered a question about the influence of the physical size of the sensor on IQ. He said that if you compare shots taken at 100 ISO by a 1DIII, a 40D, a 400D, and a G7 (all 10 Mp.) you would be hard pressed to see the difference. Even between the 1DIII and the G7! However as soon as you started upping the ISO the effect of different individual pixel size would soon be apparent. Since the 400D and the 40D have the same pixel size and the only difference is in the design of the micro-lenses, I would expect the difference to be very slight, maybe visible only at 1600 ISO.

Elie / אלי

davo_robbo
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 16, 2008 04:52 |  #11

lol..
i'd have a look at the image comparisons first..
400D's high iso performance is quite sad..
you loose incredible amounts of detail.. compared to a 40D at 1600iso which keeps the sharpness without the grain..

5D is amazing at 1600.. i'd definitely recommend that if you were into portraits more..

5Dc | 24LII/45 TS/50L/85 Sigma
Canberra Wedding Photographer - David Robertson (external link) | [URL="http://www.faceb​ook.com/#!/pages/David​-Robertson-Photography/2927518399​29?ref=ts"]Facebook Page | [URL="http://twitter.c​om/davidrphoto"]Twitte​r | [URL="http://www.forms​pring.me/drobertsonpho​to"]GOT Photography Q's? (Formspring)

MarkOrm
182 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 16, 2008 06:35 |  #12

I've recently upgraded to the 40D - and I'm happy I did. The main reasons for me were the much much better high ISO performance (my 400D didn't cut it here) and autofocus (which is again much much better). Image quality - well I have to use high ISO's a lot of the time so in this case my images are much better quality. Up to 800 appears to be noiseless (so far). I binned anything at 800 with the 400D and occasionally some at 400 as well. There's lots of other benefits though - have a look at my post in the "I've joined the 40D club" thread. I got the autofocus improvements I needed, the higher ISO and a lot of very pleasant suprises as well. I couldn't go back to a 400D now.

"Peace in a world free from religion."

PNPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 16, 2008 15:41 |  #13

Thanks for all the advise!! I did go into a box store and really fine tooth comb the 40D and while it does seem to be better in all areas of handling I do believe I'll wait for the next upgrade to buy.Like I said I'm not dissatisfied with my XTI's performance except I'd like a higher burst rate,But I think I'll wait.
thanks again!!
Approaching non-rookie status

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Jul 16, 2008 19:19 |  #14

tzalman wrote in post #5920029 (external link)
By coincidence, I read yesterday an item by Chuck Westphal, Canon's North American spokesman.

Wasn't he one of the guys that also said there was no focus issue with the MKIII--user error!

Company man--Company line of BS

Not a reliable source IMO :p

My .02--your mileage may vary.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,125 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 16, 2008 19:32 |  #15

Boy, I must really be missing something. I have both, the XTi and the 40D. While the 40D is my day to day shooter, I see no difference in picture quality, ISO performance, even at 1600, or auto focus ability. They are so close in performance that in day to day operation it's a wash. Where the 40D shines is in interface, viewfinder, and frame rate, and live view. If those are not important, wait for the 50D. Maybe we will finally get micro adjustments for each lens.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

4,129 views & 0 likes for this thread
Xti vs 40D pic quality
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.