Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 17, 2008 21:46 |  #1

As promised, here is my review of my latest tripod setup. First off I want to thank all those who posted in this thread as you were all very helpful! Thanks!

As usual with my reviews, my main goal is to help any out there who are thinking about, or might think about after reading the review, buying the item(s) I am reviewing. And with that being my goal please feel free to ask any additional question on anything I might have missed or not covered and also feel free to as for pictures of anything else that you may want to see that I failed to show in the images I did post. I try my best to be very thorough in my reviews but it's impossible to cover EVERYTHING! I do my best and I do it not only to help others but with the hopes that others will see my reviews and be inspired to take the time to write reviews of their own to help others as so many other have helped them!

Now, with that being said, on to the good stuff.

I previously owned the ever popular Bogen / Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod legs topped with a Bogen / Manfrotto 488RC4 Ballhead and for the money thought it to be a GREAT setup! However the size of the setup was so large that after owning it for six months I realized I almost dreaded taking it out sometimes dues to the sheer size and weight. I enjoy doing a lot of shooting that's "on the go". I typically find myself in places that require a fair amount of walking to get to, and if I have to heft around a large heavy tripod all the while it makes the trek that much more difficult to make. So I'll start by stating some facts: the Bogen / Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ 488RC4 combo weighs in at a hair over 7lbs and when fully closed measures a slight bit over 30" long. not terribly menacing when you look at it and pick it up for a brief moment as many of you who own it know, but try carrying it around for a few hours along with a bunch of other camera gear and tell me how light it is! So I began looking for a lighter, stronger, more stable and all around better setup that I hoped would be light enough and easy enough to carry that it would give me less of a reason to go out without a tripod due to bulkiness and weight. What I landed on was the following:

Gitzo 1541T Traveler 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs
B&H LINK (external link), B&H Price: $574.95
Gitzo Parts List/Diagram: LINK (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

The Gitzo GT1541T Traveler 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs uses a unique patented 180° folding mechanism that accommodates a head inside the folded tripod legs, which makes this the smallest folded tripod for its open size and number of sections. In addition, this tripod uses advanced "Carbon 6X" carbon fiber material for its leg construction. This improved tubing is stronger, lighter and as resistant as its 12 layer predecessor. Carbon "6X" is manufactured using a complex, 3-D process weaving 6 layers of carbon fiber into smooth, solid constructed tubes.
The GT1541T is ideal for use with a pro DSLR with a 135mm lens (up to a 200mm maximum), a MiniDV camcorders, or spotting scopes. This Series 1 model is the ideal solution for photographers on the move or when space and weight are key factors.
Key Features

• Anti-Rotation Leg (ALR) System The Anti-Rotation Leg (ALR) system makes it quick and easy to open and close the tripod. Simply turn all of the locking rings at once and the whole leg can be pulled out in seconds.
• G-Lock Design The G-Lock mechanism has been completely redesigned in order to achieve a 20% increase in rigidity, faster operation and stronger, safer locking. G-Lock's special design also provides a "gravity lock" effect: the higher the load applied vertically to the leg, the stronger the lock.
• Ground-Level Set This feature allows you to remove the center column to save weight and get the camera closer to the ground. The upper disk is removed from the center column and inserted directly into the upper casting using the column hook. No tools required.
• 1mm Gitzo 6X Carbon Fiber Tube Gitzo was able to develop a six-crossed multilayer carbon fiber 30% lighter than the previous 1.5mm generation that features the same exceptional performance of stability and vibration absorption and unbeatable quality.
• Performance Design Performance design allows the legs to be set individually at 24°, 55° and 90° to cover every angle you want to shoot.
• Hook Redesigned built-in, spring-loaded retractable hook on the bottom of the center column provides a place to hang a stabilizing counterweight such as camera, sand or water bags. It has also been improved with a self locking system that avoids accidental loss.
• Removable Leg Tips Removable rubber leg tips are interchangeable with Gitzo universal accessories such as the big foot, long spike, etc. They have also been improved with a self locking system that avoids accidental loss.
• Rapid Column Grooved Rapid center column, with locking collar, for improved stability.

Specifications

General
Load Capacity: 17.6 lbs (8kg)
Maximum Height: 52.8" (134cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column Extended: 44.5" (113cm)
Minimum Height: 6.9" (17.5cm)
Folded Length: 16.1" (41cm)
Head Attachment Fitting: 1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 (reversible stud)
Weight: 2.1 lbs (970g)

Legs
Material: 6 layer carbon fiber
Leg Stages/Sections: 3/4
Leg Lock Type: Twist
Independent Leg Spread: Yes
Spiked/Retractable Feet: No
Center Brace: No

Center Column
Center Column Type: Rapid (sliding)
Center Column Sections: 1

Markins Q3T Traveler Edition Ballhead
Markins LINK (external link), Markins Price: $289.99

IMAGE: http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/images/Q3T.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/images/Q3T_1B.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/images/Q3T_2.jpg

Markins Q3 Emille is a triumph of compact design and precision engineering. Its distinctive bell shaped design is inspired by the legendary Emille Bell. The compactness and light weight of Q3 Emille is ideal to match with a light-weighted tripod such as Gitzo series-1 or smaller tripods. It is strong enough to support small SLR cameras with mid-sized zoom lens.
  • Patented ergonomic design
  • Custom designed for Gitzo traveler tripods with smaller panning base and shaftless quickshoe knob.
  • Custom design allows the Gitzo traveler tripods to fold more compact.
  • Comes with a custom designed shaftless QR-48.
  • All-in-one type ballhead with a quick release clamp compatible with dovetail style plates from other major manufacturers such as Arca-Swiss, Kirk, Wimberley.
  • Ideal ballhead for a small SLR camera with midsize zoom lens.
  • Light weight, amazing support, smooth operation.
  • Bi-axial progressive locking mechanism supporting up to 65 lbs of weight (130 lbf·in of torque).
  • Amazing 78 load/weight ratio (weighs only 0.84 lbs).
  • Patented fluid style main knob for smooth and easy control.
  • Simple and intuitive single knob tension control.
  • Drop notch for vertical photographs.
  • Panning base with laser engraved index at every 10 degrees.
  • Tough and beautiful hard-anodized finish.
  • Fits all standard monopods and tripods with a 3/8" bolt (Tripods with 1/4" bolt require an adapter bushing which is not provided).
  • Clamp "Loctited" for safe operation and durability.
  • Built-in spirit level.
  • Patented spring loaded detent pin to prevent from costly accidental drops.
  • Safety stop relief.
  • Captive knob with smooth silicone rubber sleeve.
  • Completely enclosed moving mechanism to keep the dust out.
  • Rounded corners and edges for safety and ergonomics.
Model: Markins Q-Ball Q3 "Emille"
Camera Connection: Quick Shoe (Quick Release Clamp)
Maximum Load: 65 lbs (30 kg)
Maximum Torque: 130 lbf·in (150 kgf·cm)
Weight: 0.84 lbs (385 g) (Including the clamp)
Height: 3.58 in (91 mm) (Including the clamp)
Housing Diameter: 1.89 in (48 mm)
Panning Base Diameter: 2.20 in (56 mm) (Traveler: 1.97" (50 mm))
Ball Diameter: 1.50 in (38 mm)
Friction Control: Bi-Axial Progressive
Panning: Yes
Panorama Index: Yes
Tripod Lock Hole: 3/8" UNC
Color: Available in black, blue, and red anodized finishes

Really Right Stuff BR LR II Quick Release Clamp
Really Right Stuff LINK (external link), Really Right Stuff Price: $120

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Description Lever-Release Quick-Release Clamp, 60mm jaws.The B2 LR II has dual mounts: center socket is countersunk on top but also threaded 3/8"-16. Mount by spinning onto an exposed threaded post or with flat head screw from above (accept M6 or 1/4"-20, not 3/8"). These clamps are appropriate for mounting on:
  • any head or platform with exposed 3/8"-16 threaded post
  • can drop onto a female socket tapped 1/4"-20 (for any RRS head) or metric 6 (for all others)
  • any head or platform with exposed 1/4"-20 threaded post - install a reducer bushing into the socket hole of the clamp
  • any head or platform with 3/8"-16 female socket - purchase our stainless steel 3/8"-16 stud
  • B2 LR II fits Foba Mini SuperBall
  • B2 LLR II fits Foba SuperBall (uses two M5 flat head screws)
  • B2 LR II fits some Manfrotto heads
  • Jaw Length 2.4"/60mm
  • Width (includes lever in closed position) 3.4"/87mm
  • Height 0.6"/16mm
  • Weight 5.6oz/159g
  • NOTE: Choose a Lever Release clamp ONLY if you have quick release plates from Really Right Stuff or Wimberley. Lever Release clamp are not user-adjustable, and different manufacturers may follow different standards when producing Arca-Swiss compatible plates. Specifically, our Lever Release clamps do not work with plates from Markins, AcraTech, Arca-Swiss, and some Kirk plates–the dovetails are too shallow. Choose a screw-knob clamp if you have plates OTHER than those from RRS or Wimberley.
B2 LR II is 60mm (2.36") long (lever adds add'l 5/8"), one central countersunk 3/8"-16 socket, two 1/4"-20 countersunk sockets 1.2" center-to-center, spirit level, safety stop relief grooves, and centering index marks, 4.9oz/138g

Easy Top-Loading: In one quick action, the clamp can go from fully closed to fully open. No more lost shots while fumbling to feed the plates into the end of the clamp. The lever can be stopped in 3 positions: 1) fully closed; 2) half open; and, 3) fully open. The half-open position allows the camera/lens plate to slide within the clamp for minor positioning adjustment.
Low Profile: Lever does not protrude above or below the profile of the clamp; perfect for low-clearance applications.
Close-Fitting Shape: In the closed position, the lever closely hugs the contours of the clamp. This makes it less of a weed catcher in the field and reduces the chance of being damaged in a fall.
Super-Tough: The Stainless Steel lever delivers a lifetime of wear.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Now if you add all that up cost wise, coming in at around $1000 vs. the $300 for the Bogen / Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ 488RC4 combo, this was not an inexpensive route to go. However, it did drop my 7lbs, 30" long tripod support setup down to a mere 3lbs and 17" long! Which is a significant reduction in length and weight. Add to that the fact that carbon fiber dampens vibration a lot better than aluminum, the fact that this setup is rated to hold 17.lbs (vs. 15lbs on the former) and the added bonus of the Really Right Stuff Arca style quick release system you can begin to see why this new setup is so much better and how the added cost is justified.

So first up how about some about the packages and how the products looked right out of the box? I was very impressed with not only the retail packaging of the tripod and ballhead, but also the included tools with the tripod as well as the included dust case. Right out of the box on both of these products, the first time you hold them in your hand you can tell immediately the high quality of them. They are extremely precise in their machining and very aesthetically pleasing. Attached to this post are a couple shot of everything right out of the box and before assembling. You can also see from the first image the difference in size between the RRS quick release clamp and the Markins one. While the RRS one is a little larger in the end I found that made little difference.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 17, 2008 21:46 |  #2

To give a better idea of the size difference between the Markins Q-48 Quick Release Clamp (external link) and the Really Right Stuff B2 LR II Quick Release Clamp (external link) I took a picture of the two each quickly screwed onto the Markins Q3T ballhead and attached them below. Yes the RRS clamp looks a little larger, but the additional size in no way interferes with the legs on the tripod closing up (as youll see later) and the fact that I largely prefer the lever quick release style clamp as opposed to the slower screw release style clamp made the increased size a small price to pay. They also weigh nearly the same as well.

When I ordered the Markins Q3T ballhead Markins did not offer the option to order just the ballhead without the quick release clamp for a reduced cost like they do their other ballheads. I'm guessing because the Q3T was still too new and had to be special ordered from their stock in Canada. They did however offer to me the option of not having their quick release clamp mounted with Loctite at the time of purchase which I took them up on since I knew I was going to be mounting the RRS quick release clamp on there anyway. This saved me fighting with the Loctite they put on the bolt to lock it down. When I ordered the B2 LR II quick release clamp from RRS for an additional $3 I bought a tube of blue Loctite to set the RRS clamp in myself.

If you for whatever reason find yourself needing to remove a Loctited clamp off of a Markins head whether it be a Markins or RRS one, you will find the write up a fellow POTN member kinghong1970 put together quite useful. Take a look at it here and be sure to leave thanks!

Also courtesy of POTN member bgillis the follow process can be used (with respect to the Markins Lever Clamp):

If you don't want to melt down the spirit-level of the Markins clamp with the blowtorch, you should be informed that the spirit-level is easily removable from the clamp using a small Allen key. Push the spirit-level out of the clamp with the Allen key through the hole at the back of the clamp. Try to protect the ballhead with a small patch of towel to avoid scratching the ballhead with the Allen key.

When the spirit-level is removed from the clamp, point the blowtorch directly on the stud at the top part of the clamp during about 2 minutes. You might need more time depending on what type of Loctite was used (red Loctite for mine). With a wet towel you will be then able to unscrew the clamp from the stud. Keep in mind that the clamp might be very hot... so be very careful !

When the clamp is completely cooled, put the spirit-level back in place. That's all folks !

Please note also that this pdf document (external link) from Nikonians help me a lot for the main part of the removal procedure.

One more usefull information... anyone who will melt down the spirit-level by error should also be aware that this specific spirit-level could be also ordered directly from Markins as a replacement item. Unfortunately it seems only available on European webshop (external link).

I wanted to add a little something about the "feel" of this ballhead. Just holding it youll be impressed with its cool-to-the-touch alloy and rubberized feel to its flat black coating. You also be amazed how small and light it is, but dont worry, once you mount your camera to it youll not be disappointed at how amazingly sturdy it is!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 17, 2008 21:46 |  #3

Now a bit about the Gitzo 1541T Travelers series tripod legs. This is the first set of carbon fiber tripod legs I have owned. So right off the bat I was impressed by the extreme lightness in weight of these legs. And being that this is the travelers series makes that lightness that much more. Weighing in at 2.1lbs and in just under 16" in length this is an amazingly tiny set of legs! My first though was there was no way these tiny little legs were going to be stronger and more sturdy than my meaty, heavy and bulky 055XPROB legs! Boy was I wrong. After opening the legs up, extending them and setting the tripod on the ground I could immediately feel the rigidity and stability improvements! It was awesome! It felt so much stronger and didnt seem like it budged at all to twisting or leg shaking. I was very impressed!

Fully unfolded the top of the ballhead is at a height of 58" which is Ill admit a bit short, but with the camera mounted on the head buying you a few more inches and me being only 5'9" tall I find that it fits me perfectly when I have the center column extended only half way which is the ideal max for the minimum loss of stability.

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 17, 2008 21:47 |  #4

One of the many awesome features of these tripod legs is the ability to remove the center column and attached the two end pieces together to essentially retain all of the center columns features without the length in order to get a very low to the ground tripod support. The top part of the center column is the base plate and mount screw where the tripod head mounts. It unscrews and come out. The bottom part of the center column is where the spring loaded retracting weight hook resides and it too unscrews and can be removed. Once both the mount plate and screw and weight hook are unscrewed and removed they can be screwed together on the top and bottom of the tripod leg connection piece and the tripod functions exactly as it did with the center column.

For those who need it, here is the Gitzo exploded parts diagram with part numbers for the GT1541T legs: LINK (external link)

Here is a couple images of the top and bottom parts of the center column removed:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 17, 2008 21:47 |  #5

And here is what the tripod looks like in it's ground level mode. You can see that its literally only inches off the ground.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 17, 2008 21:48 |  #6

To give a little more on the the two ways you can fold this tripod and the advantages of both Ive attached two images showing both leg positions and the length difference they make. The first shows the legs folded in the traditional fashion which you can see from the measuring tape I placed in front of it yields a closed length of about 23". Not bad, but also not nearly as small or compact as it could be. The second image shows the tripod legs folded in the "Travler series" fashion which drastically reduces the closed length to an amazing 17"! Now thats what I paid all that money for portability for!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 17, 2008 21:48 |  #7

One of the biggest issues with the Traveler Series tripods from Gitzo and the reverse folding legs is the situation with the head that you have on it and whether or not the legs will fully closed when they are folded up against the head. This was so important that Markins actually made a specific edition of their ever popular Q3 head for this series (and any others compatible) of Gitzo legs. This new head is of course the Q3T. Note: so far there has actually been two iterations of the Q3T (usually jokingly referred to as Mark I and Mark II versions to mimic Canon's way of number their camera bodies). The Q3T Mark I looked very much like the current version with the exception of the placement of the panning and tension knobs. They were actually too close together to allow the 1541T's legs to all close up. One would always touch the knobs. In order to fix this the Q3T Mark II was release which spaced out the two knobs more allowing enough room between them for the third leg. Below you can see from the attached images the side by side comparison of the two different versions with the Mark I on the left and the Mark II on the right. The second attached image shows the third leg fully closed against the ballhead body as it should be.

Note: Some of my images in this review were not updated (retaken) with the Q3T Mark II ballhead installed, I kind of liked the idea of leaving them in there for future reference. So if any of the other images depict the legs not full closed with the third leg sticking out, its because I never updated the image. Which is why I did the update to this post to show the difference.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 17, 2008 21:48 |  #8

Here is a quick picture of the spring loaded, retractable weight hook that resides in the bottom of the center column. It usually stay up against the bottom of the column, but I pulled it down to show how far out it extends. I have yet to find the perfect fit weight for it, but I once I do Ill be sure to add it and the info to get it to this post later.

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 17, 2008 21:49 |  #9

A few shots with a non-gripped 5D with the Really Right Stuff B5D-L L Plate attached mounted in both landscape and portrait orientation on the tripod. There really is no way for me to put into words how amazingly stable this tiny little tripod feels with the camera attached to it! Its just something you have to feel for yourself. It makes me anxious to find out someday how a 2 or 3 series Gitzo tripod must feel with say a Markins M10 or M20 ballhead. Perhaps someday that will be a future purchase of mine when and if I ever need that much stability.

Here is a bit of info on the Really Right Stuff B5D-L L Plate in case you have are unfamiliar with the RRS system and accessories. They make similar L plates for all Canons so the setup could be the same no matter what DSLR you own.

Really Right Stuff LINK (external link), Really Right Stuff Price: $140

Description

L-plate for Canon EOS-5D

* Height 3.2"/81mm
* Weight 4.1oz/116g

Images are for reference only; camera not included

Image Below: View from the front
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Image Below: View from the rear
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Image Below: View of side>
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Image Below: View of remote clearance
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Image Below: View of remote clearance from the side
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Image Below: View of side remote
IMAGE NOT FOUND

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 17, 2008 21:49 |  #10

There was also an issue discussed in this thread concerning the limitations both Gitzo and Markins puts on both of these products. They both state that lenses above 200mm should not be used on this setup with the expectations of the system being as stable as it normally would be with a less than 200mm lens mounted on it. While the tripod and head can certainly handle the weight of up to say a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 300mm f/4, 400mm f/5.6 or 100-400L the problem arises with the vibrations that are created from the longer than 200mm lenses. From the best of my understanding this stability break down occurs due to the offset in balance from the longer focal length shifting the weight where the system was not designed to handle and support it. All that being taken into consideration I wanted to post a pic and talk a bit about how I felt when I mounted my 100-400L lens on those this setup.

First off I mounted the lens via the tripod ring mount and an RRS L84 lens plate. Heres the LINK (external link) to that. Youll find that you can use that same plate for a majority of the commonly owned Canon lenses that have a tripod ring mount. I can use the same plate on my 100-400L, 70-200 2.8 IS, 100 macro, and mp-e 65 macro. So that save a little on money. After that I turned the ballhead 90 degrees and mounted the lens and camera to the head.

Now I will admit that the amount of vibrations I could see from just shaking a leg of th tripod did in fact increase slightly, but not to the point of breaking any deals. Overall the system still looked and felt very stable to me and would above all and most importantly to me would still be FAR better than having no tripod at all and hand holding shots at 400mm. Thats much is for sure! So the way I look at it I have an extremely stable tripod support system for all my lenses and body combinations, and I have a far better than hand holding tripod support system for one lens in particular. Either way all of the above are far better than the results I had from the Bogen / Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ 488RC4 combo, so the upgrade is still very justified in my opinion. So my reason for adding this section was merely to emphasis that despite what you might hear or read, lenses ov no more than 3.5lbs and greater than 200mm will in fact work fine with this setup and ARE in fact in better support than when they are hand held.

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 17, 2008 21:50 |  #11

I ordered the Gitzo GE10P Padded Tripod Bag from Amazon.com to house my new investment. I chose it over the Gitzo GC1200T Travelers bag as that one I believe to be too small and is not as padded. Here is the details on the GE10P bag from B&H:

Gitzo GE10P Padded Tripod Bag Padded Tripod Bag
B&H LINK (external link), B&H Price: $89.95
Vanbar LINK (external link), Vanbar Price: $108.11

QUOTED IMAGE

The Gitzo GE10P Padded Tripod Bag (Black) is a rainproof ballistic nylon padded bag made to protect and carry a Gitzo series 0 tripods. The bag has a zip fastener, protected luggage ID holder and can be transported by two carrying straps with overlapping grip or a removable, adjustable shoulder strap.
Key Features

• Rainproof ballistic nylon tripod bag
• Protected luggage ID holder • Carrying options
  • Carry straps with overlapping grip
  • Removable, adjustable shoulder strap
• Compatible with Gitzo series 0 tripods

Specifications

Material Exterior: Ballistic nylon
Material Interior: Foam padded
Type of Closure: Zipper
Exterior Dimensions: 20.9 x 4.0" (53 x 10cm) (L x Dia)
Interior Dimensions: Not Specified by Manufacturer
Accommodates: Gitzo series 0 tripods
Padded: Yes
Carrying/Transport Options: Carry handles, Shoulder strap
Weight: Not Specified by Manufacturer

This bag is the perfect compliment both aesthetically and functionally to a very nice small, portable tripod setup. It offers the thick protective padding I wanted to protect the carbon fiber from scratches during storage and transporting, its very light so not much is added to the over all weight of the tripod system, it is the perfect size in circumference and allows a few inches of wiggle room in the length which eases the removal and insertion of the tripod into and out of the bag, and it comes with a shoulder strap and internal zippered pouch to store various items in (like the shoulder pad) when not in use.

Just picking up this case you can feel how durable and sturdy it is. It has a small, wide velcro strap to connect the two handles together, a very large and strong but yet super smooth zipper on it with two zipper handles, a fabric flap that velcros shut to cover and display the owner's information, and two very strong metal loops for attaching the shoulder strap. After opening the bag you can easily see the nearly 1/2" of padding that surrounds and protects the tripod. It looks like it would take quite a bit to damage a tripod housed in this bag!

The first picture I have attached shows the bag itself, the shoulder strap and the overall length of a bit over 20". The second image shows the tripod inside the bag and all the way to one side of it so the wiggle room can be seen as well as the internal zippered pouch opened with the shoulder strap inside.

Overall I am very impressed with this bag as I was impressed with the Bogen/Manfrotto bag I had for my last tripod. I feel very confident that nothing will harm my tripod in storage or transport while its in this bag and on top of that taking into consideration this bag will be holding an almost $1000 tripod setup, I think the $90 is worth every penny for the protection and peace of mind it offers.

As many have brought my attention the Gitzo GE10P is now extremely difficult to find if it can be found at all. There is one source that two POTN members so far has confirmed to be legit that may still have them in stock. Here is the LINK (external link). It would be wise to email this company first just to make sure before ordering. However Gitzo has a new bag out that I have recently learned fits this tripod combo quite nicely. It's the Gitzo GC1201T Traveler Bag. Be aware though that this is not a padded bag. While it is neoprene which does have some pretty amazing protective properties even in a thin form, it's not going to be as protective as a well padded bag. So depending on how much padding/protection you're looking for, this new Gitzo case might be just the answer. Here is an image of the two next to each other courtesy of POTN member LLL as well as some specs and pricing information:

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3482/3890948757_7751e5f4a8_o.jpg

Gitzo GC1201T Traveler Bag
B&H LINK (external link), B&H Price: $69.99

QUOTED IMAGE

* Fits Gitzo Traveler Tripod
* Water-resistant Neoprene Tripod Bag
* Rubberized Textile Keeps Shape
* Multi-adjustable Strap
* Carbine Snap Hook
* Two Textile Attachment Loops

The Gitzo GC1201T Traveler Bag (Gray and Black) is a lightweight, water-resistant neoprene tripod bag designed to carry a Gitzo traveler tripod. The bag uses a rubberized abrasion resistant textile that keeps the bag in shape even at maximum load. It has a removable, multi-adjustable strap that allows for a wide range of adjustments, from a handle to a shoulder strap. A special system enables you to roll and tie up the excess strap. It also has strong a carbine snap hook and two textile loops that allow attaching the bag to other supports (such as a backpack). It offers excellent protection against light rain and bad weather conditions thanks to the closed cell neoprene.

• Lightweight, water-resistant neoprene tripod bag designed to carry a tripod

• The neoprene is protective and elastic for enhanced comfort and protection, and the rubberized abrasion resistant textile keeps the bag in shape even at maximum load

• Carrying options

* Removable,multi-adjustable strap
* Carbine snap hook
* Two textile loops allow attaching the bag to other supports (such as a backpack).

• Compatible with Gitzo Traveler tripod

Specifications:

Material: Neoprene with a rubberized abrasion resistant textile
Type of Closure: Zipper
Exterior Dimensions: 18 x 3.75 x 3.75" (45.72 x 9.53 x 9.53cm) (WxHxD)
Interior Dimensions: 17 x 3.7 x 3.7" (43.18 x 9.4 x 9.4cm) (WxHxD)
Accommodates: Gitzo Traveler tripod
Padded: No
Carrying/Transport Options: Shoulder strap, Snap hook, Two textile loops
Weight: 1.04 lbs (470g)

Another option, much more affordable option has been mentioned. POTN user NeedSnow posted that the Case Logic Medium Tripod Case nicely fits this combo. It can be purchased for around $30 or less. Here is a LINK (external link)to purchase, LINK (external link) to Case Logic's page on it and a few images:

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by ben_r_.

Jul 17, 2008 21:50 |  #12

A lot of people feel that gear used well and frequently has to show signs of it as proof. I on the other hand take every precaution to ensure that my gear is both well used AND looks brand new through all of it. Those of you who have purchased gear from me from the classifieds section know how well I take care of my gear and when/if I do sell it, its in like new condition.

Wanting to keep with that standard I looked and read high and low for a way to protect my $575 tripod legs from the elements when it was necessary to be in them to get the shot I was after. Whether I have to wade into a stream or stand in the ocean I really didnt want to have to put my tripod into the mud, water, snow, or any other dirty, possibly damaging stuff to get the angle I was looking for. The closest to a good form of tipod leg protection I had read about was a few POTN members who had wrapped each legs in plastic trash bags and taped them up before submerging the tripod into water. This sounded at least functional to me, but I thought wow what a pain to have to not only carry a roll of tape and three large trash bags with, but also the time necessary to put them on and tape them up, and on top of that it would look so odd. Others just suggested going bare and then shortly after shooting taking the entire legs apart individually for cleaning. Well that would work I guess if youre in fresh water and not salt, you dont mind taking the time to disassemble your tripod piece by piece to clean it, you can in fact disassemble your tripod as most cheaper tripods cant be completely taken apart, and lastly if all youre trying to protect it from is water. So I ruled out the non-protected route for some more reasons beyond the obvious.

I decided if I wanted something done right I was going to have to do it myself. So I started looking around and planning for a solution that would not only work on my tripod setup but rather be a universal protection system that anyone could use on any of their tripods no matter the price or size.

What I ended up doing was making my own. Shown below is a very strong 6 mil, 6 inch circumference plastic tubing with heat welded ends sealed to be water and air tight on one end. Once slide over the leg a rubber band or Velcro strap can be used to keep them from slipping off. The setup slides on very fast and comes off even easier, folds up to a small pocket sized bundle, protects against wind, sand, water, snow, mud, ice, scratches, etc. and its cost is very low. I have also done quite a bit of testing on how strong these are and how well the seal on the edge holds up. It takes A LOT of force to puncture the end seal with a tripod leg. Much more than would ever be naturally inflicted while sliding them on or while using them. They have held up to my testing quite well.

Since it's a universal solution I have decided to start offering them to others who want them for their own tripods. This setup could also be used with a monopod as well. If you are interested in a set to protect your tripod investment I will be selling a set of three with velcro fasteners included. You can order a set at the website:

TripodCovers.com (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 18, 2008 03:29 |  #13

Great review. Thanks :)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 18, 2008 05:38 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #14

I have nearly the same setup, and I still read your review. :) Good job!

I have the Q3 vs the Q3t. I knew they made the panning base a bit smaller, but was wondering if they did anything with the control knobs. They didn't :( That means the T is only slightly better on 2 of the legs and not at all on the 3rd(my only really issue anyway). Too bad. But, its kinda good news for me, since I have no desire to purchase the T :)

Glad your happy with your new setup. Now go out and give it some use! But, I warn you. The first few times you have to put those fine Gitzo legs in the mud, it won't be easy.

John Caputo

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 18, 2008 08:37 |  #15

Outstanding review. Looks like a very nice rig.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

sponsored links

672,114 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.