Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

rishu_pepper
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 21, 2011 16:55 |  #1801

Prefer a sling bag.

And the Vanbar website is wonky, doesn't show me anything for that product...

~My SmugMug~ (external link)
~Gear List and Feedback~

sponsored links
ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 21, 2011 17:04 |  #1802

rishu_pepper wrote in post #11887145 (external link)
Prefer a sling bag.

And the Vanbar website is wonky, doesn't show me anything for that product...

There is a shoulder strap that comes with the Gitzo bag, and several other people on here have commented that they had great luck Vanbar...

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 21, 2011 19:13 |  #1803

I got mine from Vanbar, but their web site is a bit tenuous I agree. I don't like the bag either and dumped it for a 27" Domke tripod bag which is much more comfortable to carry on my back.

~Peter

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 21, 2011 19:19 |  #1804

Jaybrams wrote in post #11886534 (external link)
In the meantime, I tried out the 1541t with the Kirk head, and the head just can't get a tight fit on the tripod. It constantly unscrews when I turn the head on the panning base. The whole head turns on the mounting screw. I sure hope its different with the Markins when it arrives.

This doesn't sound right. The stud that protrudes out of the tripod base that you screw your head onto - it's not loose is it? Have you tried locking the panning base tight and using a strap wrench to tighten the Kirk head onto the tripod base?

~Peter

Jaybrams
33 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 21, 2011 20:30 |  #1805

I haven't used a strap wrench, just physical force. Since I'm planning to use the Markins with this, I didn't want to use extra force with the Kirk since that is not the head I will be using regularly when the Markins arrives. I can say that the Kirk never had this problem on the Manfrotto. It doesn't feel loose on the stud, but just doesn't tighten on to the base of the 1541t. I'll wait for the Markins to see how that fits. If it does the same thing, I'll go to Sears and get a strap wrench. I am concerned if you put to much pressure it might crack the tripod base. But, I've not heard anyone complain of this so far.

5Dii, 7D, SL1, and a bunch of lenses.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 22, 2011 09:06 |  #1806

That's weird. It could be some anomaly either in one thread or the other just where the ballhead meets the tripod base. Let's hope the Markins screws on OK. I've not had anything like this with mine, I have a 1541T and also the Benro equivalent. I swapped two Q3T ballheads back and forth between the two tripods and no problems so far. I've also had a Photo Clam ballhead on both tripods. I have the small Sears strap wrench, it's great for ballheads and very light in weight so you can take it on a trip.

~Peter

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 23, 2011 15:34 |  #1807

for those of you that picked this tripod up during the amazon sale, I just received my $80 rebate today :)

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
- TT Streetwalker Pro | Domke F-5XC -
Flickr (external link)

Adam ­ Jones
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 23, 2011 17:42 |  #1808

itsmejson wrote in post #11900512 (external link)
for those of you that picked this tripod up during the amazon sale, I just received my $80 rebate today :)

Yay! Mine should be here in a few weeks, then.

Anthony | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | www.purplecollarphoto.​com (external link)

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 23, 2011 19:02 |  #1809

Adam Jones wrote in post #11901215 (external link)
Yay! Mine should be here in a few weeks, then.

told you i'd update you;) lol

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
Flickr (external link)

Adam ­ Jones
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 23, 2011 19:51 |  #1810

itsmejson wrote in post #11901755 (external link)
told you i'd update you;) lol

Haha :p You decide on a head yet?

Anthony | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | www.purplecollarphoto.​com (external link)

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 23, 2011 19:55 |  #1811

Adam Jones wrote in post #11902039 (external link)
Haha :p You decide on a head yet?

negative squadron leader lol. I'm still deciding between the markins and pc-33ns, however just recently kerry @ reallybigcameras told me about photoclams new pc-34ns. So i plan to hold off until he gets more info on it.

what about you?

Flickr (external link)

firebug
131 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 23, 2011 19:59 |  #1812

itsmejson wrote in post #11902057 (external link)
negative squadron leader lol. I'm still deciding between the markins and pc-33ns, however just recently kerry @ reallybigcameras told me about photoclams new pc-34ns. So i plan to hold off until he gets more info on it.

what about you?

PM sent

Inferno Photography
Alchemy Imaging
Jesse
-Full Gear List-

Bobcatt
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 24, 2011 10:00 |  #1813

How do you get the clamp off of the Markins ballhaead?
i bought the RRS clamp, but I don't see how to remove the Markins clamp.
Any help is appreciated.

BC

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 24, 2011 10:56 |  #1814

Markins uses red Loctite to seal the clamp onto the ball stem. It's a bit of an issue that has been discussed at length in this thread. The easiest way to spin it off is to use heat, that's how Markins does it themselves. One or two people have broken the seal with a vise and wrench, much like you would with blue Loctite. Best to search within the thread for "red Loctite" and read the details of how various people dealt with it.

~Peter

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 24, 2011 11:11 |  #1815

Bobcatt wrote in post #11905115 (external link)
How do you get the clamp off of the Markins ballhaead?
i bought the RRS clamp, but I don't see how to remove the Markins clamp.
Any help is appreciated.

BC

This is why in my review I mentioned to call and talk to Markins immediately after you place your order to request they not Loctite the clamp to the head...

Youll probably have to send it back and have them remove it since they use the permanent Red Loctite. Or heat it with a blow torch and vise clamp it down and try to get it off yourself.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links

702,409 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.