Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

jookee
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 11, 2011 21:27 |  #1846

thenextguy wrote in post #12004683 (external link)
So I have a question about my Q3T. What does the small dial on the larger dial do? From what I've read it's the tension control. But isn't that what the main large dial is for? What does the small dial do?

The small dial is to limit "how lose" you can turn it to be. So once you adjust the main knob to a point that you're comfortably lose, tighten the small dial. That sets the max "loseness" that the main knob can go. This helps so that you need not spend a long time to tighten the main knob.

So by right, the right way to use it should be that you only need to turn the main knob a small amount (1/4 - 1/2 turns) to tighten the ball head... haha, hope I explain well enough.. Kind of hard to explain

sponsored links
thenextguy
Goldmember
2,579 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 11, 2011 21:30 |  #1847

jookee wrote in post #12004711 (external link)
The small dial is to limit "how lose" you can turn it to be. So once you adjust the main knob to a point that you're comfortably lose, tighten the small dial. That sets the max "loseness" that the main knob can go. This helps so that you need not spend a long time to tighten the main knob.

So by right, the right way to use it should be that you only need to turn the main knob a small amount (1/4 - 1/2 turns) to tighten the ball head... haha, hope I explain well enough.. Kind of hard to explain

You explained it perfectly. I was playing around with it earlier and I did notice that it did reduce the amount of turning of the main knob needed to lock it. I just wasn't aware that was the purpose of it. Thanks!

Edit: I wish it was a little easier to turn!

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 11, 2011 21:46 |  #1848

jookee wrote in post #11996860 (external link)
No issues at all. I've tried fitting it outside the bag (as per normal), and inside the bag. When fully folded, the GT1541t and markins q3t length happens to be able to fit into the TT streetwalker HD exactly. But i've to rearrange the dividers to accomodate that.

with the gt1541t inside the bag, what else do you have in there? (just curious, 'cause I wanted to try this out too)...

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 11, 2011 21:48 as a reply to  @ thenextguy's post |  #1849

So I have a question about my Q3T. What does the small dial on the larger dial do? From what I've read it's the tension control. But isn't that what the main large dial is for? What does the small dial do?

jookee wrote in post #12004711 (external link)

Thanks for asking and thanks for answering. I just upgraded my 1541T from the Flashpoint F2 head to the Q3T and had noticed that piece but hadn't even connected it with being a separate control (I know - RTFM!). Nice touch.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 11, 2011 22:44 |  #1850

It also puts the two controls on one knob, eliminating something else sticking out.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

jookee
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 11, 2011 23:01 |  #1851

tagakweens wrote in post #12004800 (external link)
with the gt1541t inside the bag, what else do you have in there? (just curious, 'cause I wanted to try this out too)...

Still got plenty of space left to fit in other stuff actually. Here is a pic:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i254.photobucke​t.com …ee/PhotoMar1212​5226PM.jpg (external link)

didn't include my camera n lenses in. But as you can see, there're still space to fit in quite a number of stuff. I normally put my 40D, 17-40, 70-200 F4IS and a 580 EX II. I'll say it can fit another flash body and lens.

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 16, 2011 12:04 |  #1852

ben_r_ wrote in post #5932816 (external link)
Another option, much more affordable option has been mentioned. POTN user NeedSnow posted that the Case Logic Medium Tripod Case nicely fits this combo. It can be purchased for around $30 or less. Here is a LINK (external link)to purchase, LINK (external link) to Case Logic's page on it and a few images:

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

I got that case, the Case Logic Medium and it is kinda big for the 1541T. I'll measure when I get home, but there seems to be a several inch gap. The picture above seems to be taken without the legs inverted which may account for the difference in size.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,579 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 16, 2011 12:08 |  #1853

themadman wrote in post #12031609 (external link)
I got that case, the Case Logic Medium and it is kinda big for the 1541T. I'll measure when I get home, but there seems to be a several inch gap. The picture above seems to be taken without the legs inverted which may account for the difference in size.

It is without the legs inverted. That particular case will only work with an BH-30 ballhead (or one of similar height) as they are a little shorter than the Q3T.

I posted some pictures of my attempt to use it with a Q3T on page 120.

https://photography-on-the.net …p=11864518&post​count=1795

I returned the case.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 16, 2011 12:11 |  #1854

jookee wrote in post #12005088 (external link)
Still got plenty of space left to fit in other stuff actually. Here is a pic:
QUOTED IMAGE

didn't include my camera n lenses in. But as you can see, there're still space to fit in quite a number of stuff. I normally put my 40D, 17-40, 70-200 F4IS and a 580 EX II. I'll say it can fit another flash body and lens.

wow! i didn't think it would fit... thanks..

i have a 7D gripped with the 24-70 attached, tokina 11-16, 50mm, 580exii, some filters and chargers, batteries, etc.

I'll try this when I get home....

thanks again....

now I don't know if I should still get this: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …GC1201T_Travele​r_Bag.html (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 16, 2011 12:11 |  #1855

So the key is to keep it inverted... :)

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,579 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 16, 2011 12:12 |  #1856

themadman wrote in post #12031656 (external link)
So the key is to keep it inverted... :)

Then the case is too big. I suppose you could stuff the case to make it fit better.

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 16, 2011 12:14 |  #1857

thenextguy wrote in post #12031661 (external link)
Then the case is too big. I suppose you could stuff the case to make it fit better.

Lets me keep my hamburger in there I guess...

I am just lazy and don't like to deal with returns... maybe I can sell it if I get annoyed with it.

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,579 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 16, 2011 12:23 |  #1858

Yeah, it will work as long as you don't mind the extra space. Obviously extra room is less of a problem than not enough room!

jookee
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 17, 2011 00:26 |  #1859

tagakweens wrote in post #12031653 (external link)
wow! i didn't think it would fit... thanks..

i have a 7D gripped with the 24-70 attached, tokina 11-16, 50mm, 580exii, some filters and chargers, batteries, etc.

I'll try this when I get home....

thanks again....

now I don't know if I should still get this: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …GC1201T_Travele​r_Bag.html (external link)

I think the Gitzo bag is too expensive. One of the reason I got my TT Streetwalker HD is to have huge enough room to pack the GT1541t in when I need it. Thus when zipped up, nobody can tell I'm carrying camera items (except for people who're into photography & knows TT products).

Well, it all depends on your style of usage. I usually like to keep a low profile. Thus I try to avoid slinging/attaching the tripod outside the bag. And I also risk damaging the tripod too.

Squeak
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 21, 2011 14:53 |  #1860

Hi, just wanted to stop by and say thanks to Ben for posting his review and to everybody who made a contribution on this thread. I`ve learned way to much to not stop in and give you guys credit for an amazing read.

Cheers

sponsored links

702,404 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.