Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 10, 2011 08:53 |  #1906

Oh boy. I didn't see your review before, but it's very well written and offers plenty of insight. Now I'm not sure whether to reply here or there... I guess I'll jump over there -- reply coming soon!

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

kissing
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 31, 2011 10:18 |  #1907

Hey Guys,
i was researching on a traveling tripod and saw Ben's review on the top of the search list. Took a look at the first page and i was sold...
Just got my GT1542T as the GT1541T has discontinued. i was quite impress with this tripod. it was half the weight of my Vanguard Alta Pro 284CT but twice the strength! It does burned a big hole in my pocket but hell, if i get to spend once, go all the way!
However, i knew that the guys here pair the traveller with Markins Q3T. but i have seen guys complaining bout the pan issue and wondered if thats what i want. I am not into macro shooting yet, or shooting at weird positions but i would not want to regret my choice in the future.
Lately i took interest in Acratech's GP-s ball head. What intrigues me was the ability for the head to turn upside down into a pan head. i am into scenic shootings and panoramic is something i like alot.
Therefore, hope any of you guys out there who have experience with the GP-s share some of your thoughts and views with me. Also, i am also looking at the Acratech nodal rail and universal L so let me know what you all think about it
Thanks in advance!

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 31, 2011 11:43 |  #1908

kissing wrote in post #13030027 (external link)
Hey Guys,
i was researching on a traveling tripod and saw Ben's review on the top of the search list. Took a look at the first page and i was sold...
Just got my GT1542T as the GT1541T has discontinued. i was quite impress with this tripod. it was half the weight of my Vanguard Alta Pro 284CT but twice the strength! It does burned a big hole in my pocket but hell, if i get to spend once, go all the way!
However, i knew that the guys here pair the traveller with Markins Q3T. but i have seen guys complaining bout the pan issue and wondered if thats what i want. I am not into macro shooting yet, or shooting at weird positions but i would not want to regret my choice in the future.
Lately i took interest in Acratech's GP-s ball head. What intrigues me was the ability for the head to turn upside down into a pan head. i am into scenic shootings and panoramic is something i like alot.
Therefore, hope any of you guys out there who have experience with the GP-s share some of your thoughts and views with me. Also, i am also looking at the Acratech nodal rail and universal L so let me know what you all think about it
Thanks in advance!

The people that complain about the panning base of the Markins Q3T are the ones that expect it to be an actual lock, which it is not. I dont even think Markins meant to create it to completely lock down. I believe I read some where that they were looking for it to be more of a tension adjustment knob. Although I have never had any issues with mine panning when I didnt want it to. When I tighten it down, mine doesnt go anywhere.

That being said to my knowledge there still isnt any other head more specifically designed to work with the Traveler Series Gitzo tripods so well. The Markins keep their extremely good quality and function in a smaller package designed to allow the legs on the Gitzo Travelers to still nicely fold up and completely close down keeping the whole unit small and compact, which is what those who buy it are really after.

That being said, you trusted the review and all the comments of people here who swear by it, why not give it a bit more and go the whole distance? Try the Markins Q3T, I assure you you will be just as impressed and you will fully understand why this combo got so popular and so loved by so many people.

:) Enjoy.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 31, 2011 12:05 |  #1909

ben_r_ wrote in post #13030511 (external link)
The people that complain about the panning base of the Markins Q3T are the ones that expect it to be an actual lock, which it is not. I dont even think Markins meant to create it to completely lock down. I believe I read some where that they were looking for it to be more of a tension adjustment knob. Although I have never had any issues with mine panning when I didnt want it to. When I tighten it down, mine doesnt go anywhere.

The panning "lock" is not a lock, it's a brake and it was designed that way. I believe the thought is that you would want that to slip before the ballhead comes unscrewed from the tripod. If it locked, eventually all that torque would be applied to the threaded stud mount between the ballhead and tripod.

j.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 31, 2011 12:20 |  #1910

JohnJ80 wrote in post #13030630 (external link)
The panning "lock" is not a lock, it's a brake and it was designed that way. I believe the thought is that you would want that to slip before the ballhead comes unscrewed from the tripod. If it locked, eventually all that torque would be applied to the threaded stud mount between the ballhead and tripod.

j.

Yep. Thats what I meant to say. Think you worded it better though, thanks John :)

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 31, 2011 12:34 |  #1911

One of the things about the 1542T you have bought is that you no longer need the 50mm max. panning base and ball housing that was a requirement for the 1541T legs to fold back over the head. The Markins Q3T is a quality ballhead that complies with that requirement. The 1542T legs still fold back, but just short of the base. So you can use a bigger ballhead like the Acratech GP-s with impunity.

I've run up against an unexpected limitation of the Q3T, my Nikkor 17-55/2.8 is very end-heavy and if you set the friction sweet spot for it on the Q3T it seriously binds after approx. 40deg movement in any direction. It's the ballhead as I have two of them and they both behave the same. I like the ballhead a lot but it does have it's issues; I'm not wild about the panning "lock" myself although I'm used to it.

~Peter

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 31, 2011 12:50 |  #1912

peter_n wrote in post #13030758 (external link)
One of the things about the 1542T you have bought is that you no longer need the 50mm max. panning base and ball housing that was a requirement for the 1541T legs to fold back over the head. The Markins Q3T is a quality ballhead that complies with that requirement. The 1542T legs still fold back, but just short of the base. So you can use a bigger ballhead like the Acratech GP-s with impunity.

I've run up against an unexpected limitation of the Q3T, my Nikkor 17-55/2.8 is very end-heavy and if you set the friction sweet spot for it on the Q3T it seriously binds after approx. 40deg movement in any direction. It's the ballhead as I have two of them and they both behave the same. I like the ballhead a lot but it does have it's issues; I'm not wild about the panning "lock" myself although I'm used to it.

Ah, yes you are quite right about the legs folding up under the base plate as seen here:

IMAGE: http://www.fourone.jp/shosai/gitzo/image/gt1542t_c.jpg

Now that does make a difference with what heads you can use and couldnt before.

As far as your issues with the Q3T, Im not sure I understand the prblem you are describing. What exactly "binds" for you after 40 deg? I have used this head with several lenses lots of times that were heavier that that Nikkor lens you noted and I dont think Ive experienced the issue you described. If I understand it correctly that is...

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 31, 2011 13:53 |  #1913

Ben you can move the ball through 10-20deg with some ease but try to move it more it becomes increasingly difficult and then impossible. Both ballheads are identical in operation and I'm adjusting the friction control properly.

~Peter

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 31, 2011 15:52 |  #1914

peter_n wrote in post #13031124 (external link)
Ben you can move the ball through 10-20deg with some ease but try to move it more it becomes increasingly difficult and then impossible. Both ballheads are identical in operation and I'm adjusting the friction control properly.

Oh, you mean when you leave some friction/tension set on the knob to have some "drag" in moving the ballhead around? Yea I never use my ballheads that way, I just loosen, adjust and tighten.

msu_1972
326 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 31, 2011 16:00 |  #1915

ben_r_... thank you for the great review on the Gitzo tripod. i ended up getting myself the GT1542T tripod with the Gitzo G1177M Magnesium Center Ballhead. currently Gitzo is having a manufacture rebate of $100 if you buy a combo tripod and head. :) thanks again.

IMAGE: http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/msu1972/Items/IMG_7873.jpg
IMAGE: http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/msu1972/Items/IMG_7882.jpg

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 31, 2011 16:02 |  #1916

msu_1972 wrote in post #13031717 (external link)
ben_r_... thank you for the great review on the Gitzo tripod. i ended up getting myself the GT1542T tripod with the Gitzo G1177M Magnesium Center Ballhead. currently Gitzo is having a manufacture rebate of $100 if you buy a combo tripod and head. :) thanks again.

Very welcome msu_1972! And Im sure that 1542T/G1177M will serve you well! Enjoy!

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 31, 2011 18:20 |  #1917

ben_r_ wrote in post #13031669 (external link)
Oh, you mean when you leave some friction/tension set on the knob to have some "drag" in moving the ballhead around? Yea I never use my ballheads that way, I just loosen, adjust and tighten.

Yes I'm using the sweet spot, otherwise why pay all that money for the ballhead? :confused:

~Peter

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 31, 2011 19:54 |  #1918

peter_n wrote in post #13032328 (external link)
Yes I'm using the sweet spot, otherwise why pay all that money for the ballhead? :confused:

Small, light and strong were plenty enough for me. Friction control was actually the last thing on my mind.

A+plus
61 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 02, 2011 22:19 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #1919

I just received my 1541T and Q3T combo. Definitely left a hole in my wallet, but in doing all of my research, I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I was pretty set on the Q3T, but didn't know what legs to get. I'm sure I will put this to use a lot, since it's SO LIGHT! :D

Thanks Ben,
A

7D // 11-16 2.8 // 30 1.4 // 135L

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 09, 2011 21:23 |  #1920

A plus wrote in post #13043706 (external link)
=A+plus;13043706]I just received my 1541T and Q3T combo. Definitely left a hole in my wallet, but in doing all of my research, I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I was pretty set on the Q3T, but didn't know what legs to get. I'm sure I will put this to use a lot, since it's SO LIGHT! :D

Thanks Ben,
A

Thats good hearing! Glad it still satisfies! Youre very welcome!

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

727,481 views & 1 like for this thread, 283 members have posted to it and it is followed by 6 members.
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.