Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 09, 2011 21:24 |  #1921

FWIW, I finally have my dream combo. :D

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 10, 2011 16:09 |  #1922

ben_r_ wrote in post #13078399 (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce014.gif
IMAGE LINK: http://www.freesmileys​.org/smileys.php  (external link)

Very cool. Great combo.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 13, 2011 00:24 |  #1923

ben_r_ wrote in post #13078399 (external link)

Which camera/lens combo are you planning to use with the GT3541LS?

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 13, 2011 00:27 |  #1924

lsquare wrote in post #13094414 (external link)
Which camera/lens combo are you planning to use with the GT3541LS?

Any and all of my gear! :)

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

CupofJava
38 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 20, 2011 12:15 |  #1925

Thanks for the review I ended up getting a GT1542T and puttying my Joby Ballhead X on it. :)

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 20, 2011 12:29 |  #1926

CupofJava wrote in post #13133749 (external link)
Thanks for the review I ended up getting a GT1542T and puttying my Joby Ballhead X on it. :)

Ha, first time Ive heard of that combo! Post some pics!

CupofJava
38 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 20, 2011 17:26 |  #1927

The head is pretty solid. I have the gorillapod focus legs and it served me well on my last trip. I'm thinking of taking both on my next trip. I do like the small size of the gorillapod.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 20, 2011 17:32 |  #1928

Sweet! Doesnt look half bad on those legs either and you get to have the head do double duty.

I still highly recommend someday considering the Markins Q3T though. When you get some extra cash pick it up and compare the two.

rudeshi
21 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 03, 2011 22:34 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #1929

I just read through a lot of this thread and I'm pretty much sold on the 1542T/Markins Q3T combo. I'm a complete newbie and this would be my first and only tripod. I'd be using it mainly for travel/hiking. I have a couple of questions:

1) I'm 6'1" tall, so would I regret not having a taller tripod?
2) Should I go with the Markins PG-30U camera plate? Or should I go with a different brand?

Thanks in advance.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 04, 2011 10:19 |  #1930

rudeshi wrote in post #13201885 (external link)
I just read through a lot of this thread and I'm pretty much sold on the 1542T/Markins Q3T combo. I'm a complete newbie and this would be my first and only tripod. I'd be using it mainly for travel/hiking. I have a couple of questions:

2) Should I go with the Markins PG-30U camera plate? Or should I go with a different brand?

Thanks in advance.

You are pretty tall for this setup and you will have to bend down. I even have to a bit and Im 5'9". I have never minded it at all though as the compactness and light weight of this rig has always been worth it.

I personally prefer the Really Right Stuff route for plates and clamps, but you can of course go with the Markins gear. Its not bad as I hear, I just like that RRS has so much more to offer and since I already have so much of their gear I like sticking with one brand.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 04, 2011 12:23 |  #1931

rudeshi wrote in post #13201885 (external link)
I have a couple of questions:

1) Yes, definitely. Take a look at the Feisol range; they make tripods that are suitable for people 5ft 10in+ in size.
2) Do not buy a Markins plate. If you end up buying a Markins ballhead and clamp, the clamp has a terrific safety mechanism in it; a spring-loaded safety detent pin that stops a plate (and its attached camera + lens) from sliding out if the clamp vise became loose. The pin catches in a cutout in the bottom of most clamps, but Markins clamps don't have the cutout. Yes it's idiotic but it seems the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in that company. As Ben says RRS make very good plates, and Kirk are another good brand.

On another issue, if you end up buying the Gitzo 1542T (and I assume you've read that it's a poor replacement model) you're not limited to the ballhead dimension limitations of the 1541T, as the legs on the 1542T don't reach the ballhead when they're folded back. So you could use a Markins Q3 instead of a Q3T for example.

~Peter

rudeshi
21 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 04, 2011 14:00 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #1932

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have been looking at the Feisol range as well. It seems the Feisol Traveler Tripod CT-3441T would suit my needs pretty well. If I went with that tripod, which ballhead would you guys suggest?

I'm preparing for a trip to Argentina where I will be hiking/trekking in Patagonia so portability is critical. But since this will be my only tripod all-around usability is important as well.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 04, 2011 14:06 |  #1933

rudeshi wrote in post #13204539 (external link)
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have been looking at the Feisol range as well. It seems the Feisol Traveler Tripod CT-3441T would suit my needs pretty well. If I went with that tripod, which ballhead would you guys suggest?

I'm preparing for a trip to Argentina where I will be hiking/trekking in Patagonia so portability is critical. But since this will be my only tripod so all-around usability is important as well.

Same, Markins Q3T.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 04, 2011 14:06 |  #1934

What is your heaviest/longest camera/lens combo?

~Peter

rudeshi
21 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 04, 2011 14:21 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #1935

I currently have a Canon T2i with the 18-55 mm kit lens. I am planning to purchase the Canon 10-22 mm lens in the next week or two.

That would be it for now. Not sure if I'll get a telephoto lens in the future, since my budget will be pretty much exhausted with the tripod, ballhead and wide angle lens.

sponsored links

725,628 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.