Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 04, 2011 14:23 |  #1936

rudeshi wrote in post #13204629 (external link)
I currently have a Canon T2i with the 18-55 mm kit lens. I am planning to purchase the Canon 10-22 mm lens in the next week or two.

That would be it for now. Not sure if I'll get a telephoto lens in the future, since my budget will be pretty much exhausted with the tripod, ballhead and wide angle lens.

In that case the Q3T will be plenty for you. Even if you get a 70-200 itll be fine. Its a very well made head especially for its compact size. Thats whats made it so popular.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
rudeshi
21 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 04, 2011 14:36 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #1937

Thanks again for the quick replies. So it sounds like a good combo for me is the Feisol CT-3441T, Markins Q3T, and a RRS plate...is that correct?

Should I get the RRS L-plate or the dovetail plate? Sorry for all the questions, this is all new for me.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 04, 2011 14:37 |  #1938

rudeshi wrote in post #13204667 (external link)
Thanks again for the quick replies. So it sounds like a good combo for me is the Feisol CT-3441T, Markins Q3T, and a RRS plate...is that correct?

Should I get the RRS L-plate or the dovetail plate? Sorry for all the questions, this is all new for me.

No worries, thats what this forum is for.

Yes that setup would work too. And go with the RRS L Plate.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 04, 2011 20:13 |  #1939

rudeshi wrote in post #13204667 (external link)
So it sounds like a good combo for me is the Feisol CT-3441T, Markins Q3T, and a RRS plate...is that correct?

Yes.

You might want to look for a used RRS or Kirk L-plate for your camera model. They can be found on forums like this and on eBay. Nothing much can go wrong with an L-plate so it's safe to buy used and you can get good savings as the L-plates are expensive. :)

~Peter

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,421 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 04, 2011 20:33 |  #1940

peter_n wrote in post #13205977 (external link)
Yes.

You might want to look for a used RRS or Kirk L-plate for your camera model. They can be found on forums like this and on eBay. Nothing much can go wrong with an L-plate so it's safe to buy used and you can get good savings as the L-plates are expensive. :)

What's general opinion on JJC L-plates, they seem to be better design than Kirk and just $100 on ebay?

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 05, 2011 08:29 |  #1941

peter_n wrote in post #13204068 (external link)
1) Yes, definitely. Take a look at the Feisol range; they make tripods that are suitable for people 5ft 10in+ in size.
2) Do not buy a Markins plate. If you end up buying a Markins ballhead and clamp, the clamp has a terrific safety mechanism in it; a spring-loaded safety detent pin that stops a plate (and its attached camera + lens) from sliding out if the clamp vise became loose. The pin catches in a cutout in the bottom of most clamps, but Markins clamps don't have the cutout. Yes it's idiotic but it seems the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in that company. As Ben says RRS make very good plates, and Kirk are another good brand.

On another issue, if you end up buying the Gitzo 1542T (and I assume you've read that it's a poor replacement model) you're not limited to the ballhead dimension limitations of the 1541T, as the legs on the 1542T don't reach the ballhead when they're folded back. So you could use a Markins Q3 instead of a Q3T for example.

I agree with this completely - both points. As a 6 footer, I'd find the Gitzo traveler to be too short for me. I'd go with either the Feisol or the larger Gitzo that is taller but still quite light - the standard 1541 or 1542 (whatever the number is now).

As to clamps - as much as I love Markins, the RRS clamps are better. A markins ballhead with an RRS lever clamp is really the best of both worlds.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

mnml
581 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 05, 2011 09:37 |  #1942

How easy is it to remove the markins plate from the Q3T and replace it with the RRS QR? Is it as simple as locking the ballhead and just twisting it off?

Sony A7II | Sony 85/1.4 GM | Sony 24-70/2.8 GM | Rokinon 14/2.8
flickr (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 05, 2011 09:59 |  #1943

mnml wrote in post #13208113 (external link)
How easy is it to remove the markins plate from the Q3T and replace it with the RRS QR? Is it as simple as locking the ballhead and just twisting it off?

If you already have the head, no. You'll need to heat the clamp to break the LocTite they use on the threads.

If you are planning to order the head, and will be replacing the clamp with the RRS one (good move, BTW), specify "No LocTite" when you order. That's what I did (specified "No LocTite" and put the RRS B2-LR II).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 05, 2011 10:02 |  #1944

Jon wrote in post #13208208 (external link)
If you already have the head, no. You'll need to heat the clamp to break the LocTite they use on the threads.

If you are planning to order the head, and will be replacing the clamp with the RRS one (good move, BTW), specify "No LocTite" when you order. That's what I did (specified "No LocTite" and put the RRS B2-LR II).

This is as I have done it and as I understand it as well. However I have heard from some people that Markins has stopped loctiting their clamps onto their heads because so many people requested to have them not. So Im not sure what the standard from them is anymore. Either way its a safer bet to just call AND leave in the checkout notes that you would like the clamp not loctited on the head.

mnml
581 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 05, 2011 10:05 |  #1945

uh oh, I have the Q3T with the markins QR plate already. I just ordered the RRS QR plate this morning. Any suggestions on how I go about heading the plate? Use a heat gun then twist off?

flickr (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 05, 2011 10:08 |  #1946

I used a blow torch, keeping it moving around the center threads. You might first see if it'll twist off without heating if, as Ben heard, they've stopped LocTiting them in place.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

mnml
581 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 05, 2011 10:11 |  #1947

Okay, i'll give that a try. Hopefully I won't need a blow torch

flickr (external link)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,870 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 05, 2011 10:11 |  #1948

I just got the Markins Q10 and the clamp is adjustable to fit RRS. I just got this but it seems to work very well. I think I would do this before trying to use a blow torch.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Fuji X100F • Canon EOS R • 7DII • G7XII • RF 16 2.8 • RF 35 1.8 • RF 800 F11 • EF 24LII • EF 50L • EF 100L • EF 135L • EF 16-35L F4 IS • EF 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

mnml
581 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 05, 2011 10:44 |  #1949

I have the RRS L-plate which does work with the Markins plate. I decided to get the RRS because it has a 3-position lever and a bubble indicator that is visible when the camera is mounted.

flickr (external link)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,870 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 05, 2011 10:47 |  #1950

mnml wrote in post #13208445 (external link)
I have the RRS L-plate which does work with the Markins plate. I decided to get the RRS because it has a 3-position lever and a bubble indicator that is visible when the camera is mounted.

Well please let me know how it goes, maybe someday I will do the same.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Fuji X100F • Canon EOS R • 7DII • G7XII • RF 16 2.8 • RF 35 1.8 • RF 800 F11 • EF 24LII • EF 50L • EF 100L • EF 135L • EF 16-35L F4 IS • EF 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

sponsored links

725,399 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.