Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 23, 2011 08:16 |  #1981

Well in my haste to get something before the weekend I actually bought a 1541 non T. I'm on my phone now so I can't see the spec differences but I am pretty happy with this one.

Only thing is that I already ordered the Q3T - so I am unsure how it will fit seeing that I have the non T...

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD
Feedback/Gear --- Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 23, 2011 09:02 |  #1982

It's still a series 1, which is what the Q3T was made for..

Main difference for me is the folded length. The non-T folds down to 21.3 inches, while the T folds down to 16.1 inches. Very significant, IMO, if you're looking for a travel size tripod.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 23, 2011 11:28 |  #1983

v35skyline wrote in post #13292869 (external link)
It's still a series 1, which is what the Q3T was made for..

Main difference for me is the folded length. The non-T folds down to 21.3 inches, while the T folds down to 16.1 inches. Very significant, IMO, if you're looking for a travel size tripod.

Yep, that was the problem I had with it as well. However, for those that want a taller travel tripod, the non-T is a bit taller. Everythings a trade off...

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 23, 2011 11:39 |  #1984

ben_r_ wrote in post #13293315 (external link)
Yep, that was the problem I had with it as well. However, for those that want a taller travel tripod, the non-T is a bit taller. Everythings a trade off...

I think I'm actually going to hang on to this. And for the record I am a convert already, this is so light and easy to use.

I can't wait until my markins set up arrives on Thursday to reall see.

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 23, 2011 11:40 |  #1985

tats wrote in post #13293360 (external link)
I think I'm actually going to hang on to this. And for the record I am a convert already, this is so light and easy to use.

I can't wait until my markins set up arrives on Thursday to reall see.

Yea, the setup gets better and better as you acquire each piece!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,609 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 23, 2011 12:37 |  #1986

At 21 inch's why not go to a series 2? My 2541 is only 22 inch's and I think its more stable? Ben I am sure you know this.

Also Ben, I think you have the right idea having 1 for travel and 1 for ultimate stability. I love the 2541 but I wonder if its to big to take on a trip. Something tells me next time I fly I will want to ad a smaller setup. I have nothing planned for a while and I find the 2541 fine to take around town and a perfect middle ground. I guess for the 5 inch's or so I will just make it work, its really a great setup and while not exactly small its very sleek and almost stylish.

tat's your gonna love the markins head. Night and day to the Manfrotto stuff and really IMO makes a bigger impact then the tripod did. Its just about as easy to frame a shot as it is hand holding the camera.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 23, 2011 12:56 |  #1987

Tommydigi wrote in post #13293586 (external link)
At 21 inch's why not go to a series 2? My 2541 is only 22 inch's and I think its more stable? Ben I am sure you know this.

Also Ben, I think you have the right idea having 1 for travel and 1 for ultimate stability. I love the 2541 but I wonder if its to big to take on a trip. Something tells me next time I fly I will want to ad a smaller setup. I have nothing planned for a while and I find the 2541 fine to take around town and a perfect middle ground. I guess for the 5 inch's or so I will just make it work, its really a great setup and while not exactly small its very sleek and almost stylish.

tat's your gonna love the markins head. Night and day to the Manfrotto stuff and really IMO makes a bigger impact then the tripod did. Its just about as easy to frame a shot as it is hand holding the camera.

Yea thats kinda how I looked at it too when I looked at the 1541 non-T. Why not just get a 2 series and have one tripod.

And yea, I know how crazy it sounds to have to have $2k+ in a dual tripod support system, but I just could figure any other way to have the best of both worlds without doing it that way. Its something you build up to though, both mentally and financially. Unless you can do it all at once, then by all means, get it over with and be complete. :)

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 23, 2011 13:07 |  #1988

Hmm the 1541 I got was like $530... What are the 2541's going for? Sorry on my phone in the car...

Rob

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 23, 2011 13:11 |  #1989

tats wrote in post #13293658 (external link)
Hmm the 1541 I got was like $530... What are the 2541's going for? Sorry on my phone in the car...

Think the best price Ive seen on them was a weird bundle deal Tommy found at Adorama for like $680. LINK (external link) And thats pretty much by far the best deal.

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 23, 2011 16:57 |  #1990

ben_r_ wrote in post #13293671 (external link)
Think the best price Ive seen on them was a weird bundle deal Tommy found at Adorama for like $680. LINK (external link) And thats pretty much by far the best deal.

Hmm. I think I will just hang on to this, the weight difference is really amazing. I wonder how muc lighter the markins heads will be (still stuck in the car)

Rob

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 23, 2011 19:04 |  #1991

The Q3T weights 0.83lbs. That's pretty significant, IMO, compared to the 498rc2 I had (1.34lbs).

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 23, 2011 19:21 |  #1992

tats wrote in post #13294507 (external link)
Hmm. I think I will just hang on to this, the weight difference is really amazing. I wonder how muc lighter the markins heads will be (still stuck in the car)

4 hours...and I thought traffic was bad in LA. :lol:

Just an FYI, the 1-series tripods are rated up to 200mm. If you think you'll need a longer focal length, you might want to reconsider.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 23, 2011 19:26 |  #1993

klr.b wrote in post #13295093 (external link)
4 hours...and I thought traffic was bad in LA. :lol:

Just an FYI, the 1-series tripods are rated up to 200mm. If you think you'll need a longer focal length, you might want to reconsider.

Nah I don't think I will be going any higher, maybe grab an extender if anything.

Yeah huge accident coming back to the city from upstate...

Rob

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 28, 2011 08:26 |  #1994

Just got my Markins setup - and WOW. The ball head moves so smoothly and you only have to turn the locking knob a bit to clamp it or release it.

The only thing I am not too pumped about is the panning part where it is basically free to rotate unless the friction is up real high.

I don't know how this will affect anything in the field cause I was just messing around in my apartment.

Rob

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 28, 2011 08:34 |  #1995

That's apparently as designed:

From here (external link) (somewhere down in the comments):

The users manual says, "Note: Do not over tighten the panning lock knob. It is supposed to have some minimal play to better help absorb vibration, especially under windy conditions."

Never been a problem for me.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

661,568 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.