Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 28, 2011 08:40 |  #1996

René Damkot wrote in post #13319877 (external link)
That's apparently as designed:

From here (external link) (somewhere down in the comments):

Never been a problem for me.

Yeah I was just a bit shocked when I thought I was locked down and it rotated but I think practically it won't be an issue.

Also the weight difference between the 1541 (non-t) + Q3T is amazing compared to the manfrotto setup

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD
Feedback/Gear --- Flickr (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 28, 2011 10:22 |  #1997

tats wrote in post #13319901 (external link)
Yeah I was just a bit shocked when I thought I was locked down and it rotated but I think practically it won't be an issue.

It's actually a brake rather than a lock. As René said its design is to help reduce the effects of vibration. Once you get used to it you don't notice it.

~Peter

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 28, 2011 11:22 |  #1998

tats wrote in post #13319901 (external link)

Also the weight difference between the 1541 (non-t) + Q3T is amazing compared to the manfrotto setup

YES it is!

peter_n wrote in post #13320302 (external link)
It's actually a brake rather than a lock. As René said its design is to help reduce the effects of vibration. Once you get used to it you don't notice it.

Yea, its never once been an issue for me. The brake holds just fine for me.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

rudeshi
21 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 29, 2011 16:07 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #1999

I'm still on the fence between the Feisol 3441T and the Gitzo 1542T. I like the extra height of the Feisol (since I'm 6'1" tall), but I also like how small and compact the Gitzo folds down to. I'd like to put the tripod in my backpack if possible.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Gitzo. I'm young enough and in decent shape so bending over once in a while shouldn't bother me too much. But this is my first tripod so I really don't know how much of an issue that would be.

For landscape and travel photography, will I really need the extra height of the Feisol?

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 29, 2011 16:15 |  #2000

rudeshi wrote in post #13325785 (external link)
I'm still on the fence between the Feisol 3441T and the Gitzo 1542T. I like the extra height of the Feisol (since I'm 6'1" tall), but I also like how small and compact the Gitzo folds down to. I'd like to put the tripod in my backpack if possible.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Gitzo. I'm young enough and in decent shape so bending over once in a while shouldn't bother me too much. But this is my first tripod so I really don't know how much of an issue that would be.

For landscape and travel photography, will I really need the extra height of the Feisol?

Only you can really answer that. Maybe go out to a local camera shop and try and fin two tripods that you can set to the same heights and see if you can decide from that.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 30, 2011 11:15 |  #2001

jnd wrote in post #13327579 (external link)
ben_r, have you ever heard of the GT1543T? This is offered as GK1580TQR4 including the GH1780TQR head. Is the 1543T the successor to the 1542T?

No I have not, and a little google searching doesnt show such a model number anywhere but a few German websites and nothing from Gitzo. Since I cant read German Im have no idea what they are saying about. We'll just have to wait and see what Gitzo has up their sleeve now.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 30, 2011 12:06 |  #2002

Well the kit is, but where on the site does it say the legs of this kit are indeed a GT1543T "next model" traveler?

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 30, 2011 12:14 |  #2003

jnd wrote in post #13328601 (external link)
The Gitzo site doesn't say this, but see these photos (external link).

Very interesting... Looks like only the Germans have it.

Well, who speaks German?

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 30, 2011 12:22 |  #2004

Okay, I do seem to remember someone mentioning this combo (or one similar) earlier in this thread, but no one saw that the legs are labeled as a 1543T. Also I dont think anyone around here bought the combo because its very overpriced considering the head is terrible and pretty much worthless for resale value so no one bothered trying. Interesting. Too bad they dont list the specs for the tripod alone. I wonder if the 1543T was what the second gen 1541T should have been. Or what if its the same just re-model-numbered. The closed length of 16" really makes it sound like that.

Petersman
148 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 30, 2011 16:47 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #2005

I think Gitzo is just putting some random numbers on their kit legs, they do the same with kit heads .
Maybe to keep them apart for warranty and internal identification reasons and whatnot .

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 30, 2011 18:25 |  #2006

This numbering scheme change has happened before. All of a sudden some different gitzo product numbers showing up, and then later they update their catalogs and websites. Usually it's differences like when they lightened up the tubing (1228 ->1258), made some minor mods in design or mfg (3540LS->3541LS) etc... Probably what's happening here.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

rudeshi
21 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 31, 2011 09:51 as a reply to  @ JohnJ80's post |  #2007

I went to B&H in NYC over the weekend to play around with the Gitzo 1542T. It's incredibly compact and light. If I extend the center column about halfway, it's at a workable height so I don't need to bend over too much. Without the center column extended at all, I need to bend quite a bit.

I asked the B&H sales rep about the stability with center column extended. He said since it's carbon fiber and Gitzo's are so well made, I can extend the center column with no stability issues. I'm taking that statement with a grain of salt...I'm thinking the center column will compromise stability if it's extended too far, right?

I can't see the Feisol 3441T in person, so I'll have to make a choice based on the reviews. Need to pull the trigger soon since I leave next month for Patagonia. Decisions, decisions..

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 31, 2011 09:57 |  #2008

rudeshi wrote in post #13332019 (external link)
I went to B&H in NYC over the weekend to play around with the Gitzo 1542T. It's incredibly compact and light. If I extend the center column about halfway, it's at a workable height so I don't need to bend over too much. Without the center column extended at all, I need to bend quite a bit.

I asked the B&H sales rep about the stability with center column extended. He said since it's carbon fiber and Gitzo's are so well made, I can extend the center column with no stability issues. I'm taking that statement with a grain of salt...I'm thinking the center column will compromise stability if it's extended too far, right?

I can't see the Feisol 3441T in person, so I'll have to make a choice based on the reviews. Need to pull the trigger soon since I leave next month for Patagonia. Decisions, decisions..

You might want to look at the 1542 (no 'T'). I think it would be more stable, does not require bending over, is about the same weight.

It makes no sense to spend all that money on an effective set of tripod legs and then give it all away by mounting the camera up on a stilt.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 31, 2011 09:58 |  #2009

JohnJ80 wrote in post #13332044 (external link)
You might want to look at the 1542 (no 'T'). I think it would be more stable, does not require bending over, is about the same weight.

It makes no sense to spend all that money on an effective set of tripod legs and then give it all away by mounting the camera up on a stilt.

J.

My 1541 (no T) is also a good option - perfect height for me (I'm 5'9) with center column all the way down

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD
Feedback/Gear --- Flickr (external link)

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 31, 2011 10:07 |  #2010

I think they are the same. 1541~1542.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

727,280 views & 1 like for this thread, 283 members have posted to it and it is followed by 6 members.
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.