Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 01, 2011 09:32 |  #2026

rudeshi wrote in post #13336893 (external link)
That's very helpful info, John.

Which ballhead would you recommend with the GT1541 Mountaineer? Should I still go with the Markins Q3T, or something else?

Thanks again for all the help.

Rudeshi - I have a Q3T and LOVE it - at first I was worried about getting something that was "desgined for the traveler series" but it fits and works perfectly.

I will try to upload some pics of the setup tonight.

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD
Feedback/Gear --- Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
rudeshi
21 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 01, 2011 09:45 as a reply to  @ tats's post |  #2027

Thanks tats! Pics of your setup would be awesome. So you're using the Q3T with the GT1541 Mountaineer?

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 01, 2011 09:58 |  #2028

rudeshi wrote in post #13337091 (external link)
Thanks tats! Pics of your setup would be awesome. So you're using the Q3T with the GT1541 Mountaineer?

Yep - I had the standard Manfrotto setup - 055XPROB and the 498 head and it was just too heavy, clunky for me.

Gitzo cost an arm and a leg (like everything here) but you wont be disaapointed. I will try and remember later tonight.

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 01, 2011 17:34 |  #2029

rudeshi wrote in post #13336893 (external link)
That's very helpful info, John.

Which ballhead would you recommend with the GT1541 Mountaineer? Should I still go with the Markins Q3T, or something else?

Thanks again for all the help.

Q3T. Light but very solid ballhead. It would go perfectly on a Series 1 tripod. It's specifically the tripods they were designed for. I have one and they are great.

What I would recommend though is to replace the clamp with a RRS QR Lever clamp. The Markins screw clamps are nice but the RRS QR clamps are just incredible.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 01, 2011 17:58 |  #2030

JohnJ80 wrote in post #13339143 (external link)
Q3T. Light but very solid ballhead. It would go perfectly on a Series 1 tripod. It's specifically the tripods they were designed for. I have one and they are great.

What I would recommend though is to replace the clamp with a RRS QR Lever clamp. The Markins screw clamps are nice but the RRS QR clamps are just incredible.

J.

I cant vouch for the RRS clamp but I have the markins lever clamp on my Q3T and am very happy

Rob

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 01, 2011 19:38 |  #2031

Can anyone explain the advantage of the RRS clamp over the Markins? I have a Markins clamp and haven't had any issues. If it's not broken, don't fix it. I don't want to buy the RRS clamp for no reason and just to have it, but if there is some inherent advantage due to its design, I'd like to know and I will consider it.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 01, 2011 19:43 |  #2032

v35skyline wrote in post #13339633 (external link)
Can anyone explain the advantage of the RRS clamp over the Markins? I have a Markins clamp and haven't had any issues. If it's not broken, don't fix it. I don't want to buy the RRS clamp for no reason and just to have it, but if there is some inherent advantage due to its design, I'd like to know and I will consider it.

RRS lever clamp is compatible with the stop screws in RRS plates and accessories. RRS clamp has dual lever positions, halfway allows you to move the plate/accessory side to side or front to back freely without the risk of the attached device coming out and full open to remove it. No need for an adjustment screw if you stick with all RRS accessories which most will since they have the widest selection and make the best gear in the industry. RRS has ridiculously good resale value should you ever sell it.

Thats all I can think of right now.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 01, 2011 19:50 |  #2033

The difference is the RRS clamp is a quick release lever clamp. The standard Markins clamp is a screw one. It is much easier and faster to use the QR lever clamp to get your camera in and out than the screw one. Screw clamp to screw clamp between Markins and RRS there is some difference but not much.

If you mean of the Markins lever, then I would presume it's a decent lever albeit it rather new without a lot of history. The RRS clamp has a long track record, is well regarded, and has been successful.

The Markins clamp, I believe it does have an adjustment to accommodate the slight differences between plates from different manufacturers. Lever clamps are more sensitive to those variations since they don't adjust as widely as do screw clamps. That said, if you use any lever clamp you should probably constrain your plate purchase to that of one manufacturer or at least verify that the specific plate you get is compatible with the other plates and clamp you have.

Some, me included, don't like the idea of an adjustment. It's just one more thing to fool with when I'm in a hurry if there is a problem.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 01, 2011 20:04 |  #2034

^^^Sorry, yes, I have a Markins QR lever clamp.

I am using an RRS plate (and only intend to use RRS plates) on my gripped 5D2, so one adjustment to the Markins clamp to accommodate the RRS plate(s) is all I need.

And what kind of accessories would I be using down there?!

Gear List & Feedback

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 01, 2011 20:19 as a reply to  @ v35skyline's post |  #2035

ben_r_ wrote in post #13339655 (external link)
RRS lever clamp is compatible with the stop screws in RRS plates and accessories. RRS clamp has dual lever positions, halfway allows you to move the plate/accessory side to side or front to back freely without the risk of the attached device coming out and full open to remove it. No need for an adjustment screw if you stick with all RRS accessories which most will since they have the widest selection and make the best gear in the industry. RRS has ridiculously good resale value should you ever sell it.

Thats all I can think of right now.

That. I have a Markins clamp that I got with my Q3T; I didn't like the "all or nothing" clamping, so swapped it for another RRS lever clamp. I already had RRS clamps on a couple of heads, so I knew what I was getting, and that I preferred it to what Markins offered (adjustability or not).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 01, 2011 20:38 |  #2036

Forgot to add that RRS also has the most complete line of plates and brackets of anybody. Generally a good idea to stick with one brand if you ever intend to use a lever at any time. Makes for an easy decision - I think they have the best lever and they have the most complete plate/bracket line.

To hitchhike on Jon's point - if you have all one mfg of plate/bracket you can have multiple mfg of lever clamps if all but one of them are adjustable or if they are screw clamps. So far, the only one I've heard of that works well and is adjustable is the Markins. I think Arca tried one a while ago and there were problems with the adjustment moving over time (loosening).

It's generally not a good idea to buy plates from multiple sources because you are somewhat constrained to only using screw clamps.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 01, 2011 21:56 |  #2037

I have no intentions of using plates other than RRS. That said, I haven't had and haven't read of any issues of a Markins QR clamp adjusting screw coming loose. Not to say that it hasn't or couldn't happen.

I'll likely grab an RRS clamp as an early xmas present for myself after I let the sting from the 135L purchase wear off. :)

Gear List & Feedback

Petersman
148 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 01, 2011 21:57 |  #2038

JohnJ80 wrote in post #13339891 (external link)
It's generally not a good idea to buy plates from multiple sources because you are somewhat constrained to only using screw clamps.

J.

For me, one of the most important reasons for using Arca style clamps and plates is unlimited cross-compatibility and simplicity.
I guess I'll stick with screw clamps then , but that's just me .

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 01, 2011 23:28 |  #2039

Petersman wrote in post #13340236 (external link)
For me, one of the most important reasons for using Arca style clamps and plates is unlimited cross-compatibility and simplicity.

That's the way it is.

Unfortunately, Lever clamps are pretty doggone nice and useful. I often have to shoot in mittens (extreme cold) and the screw clamps are harder to operate without taking them off not ton mention slower.

One of the biggest advantages to the A-S system is that there is no play in the system. Some of the other systems are not so great that way.

Fortunately, in practice, you can often use plates from other manufacturers but you find the occasional one that is outside of the tolerance. Another manufacturing lot might solve the problem.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

peter_n
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 02, 2011 07:13 |  #2040

Petersman wrote in post #13340236 (external link)

Exactly. I believe I have plates from seven different manufacturers and no problems with any of them. Top loading into a Markins clamp is pretty quick, and let's remember we're using tripods here and not shooting street where speed is of the essence. Also Markins screw clamps have nice rubber covered knobs that are very easy to grasp even with gloves on in the winter. One isn't better than the other, it's just a personal choice.

~Peter

sponsored links

670,420 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.