Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,650 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 09, 2012 12:57 |  #2086

ben_r_ wrote in post #14056623 (external link)
The Markins lever clamp is adjustable. So once you get it, just adjust it to fit the plates you have. Though you should stick with one brand of plates so you dont have to keep adjusting for variances.

Thats what I do, I have the RRS plates with the Markins head and clamp, works great so far.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

sponsored links
WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 09, 2012 13:51 as a reply to  @ Tommydigi's post |  #2087

Thanks all, just ordered the RRS plates, much cheaper postage than Markins too.....

Cheers

peter_n
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 09, 2012 17:44 |  #2088

WA Tiger wrote in post #14055167 (external link)
Thats great, thanks for that information what plates do you prefeer, the Markins or the RRS?

RRS.

~Peter

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 09, 2012 22:25 |  #2089

RRS all the way!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 09, 2012 23:32 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #2090

RRS it is, signed, sealed and awaiting delivery.....:D

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 11, 2012 01:50 |  #2091

Nice! You'll love it!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

ettsn
293 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 11, 2012 08:55 |  #2092

Has anyone put this setup (1541T with a ballhead, Markins or otherwise) into the compact RRS bag (TQB-47)?

peter_n
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 11, 2012 11:06 |  #2093

I think it will fit. I'm asking the same question about my Benro C2680T plus Markins Q3T, and that tripod has a much bigger diameter at the main casting than my 1541T. I measured last weekend and I think the Benro will just fit. My trusty Domke has bitten the dust through abuse and that RRS bag looks like a good design.

~Peter

WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 11, 2012 13:45 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #2094

The bag that comes with the tripod, fits the Q3T ballhead attached to the tripod, bit tight but fits and will loosen up more in time.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 12, 2012 12:22 |  #2095

WA Tiger wrote in post #14067286 (external link)
The bag that comes with the tripod, fits the Q3T ballhead attached to the tripod, bit tight but fits and will loosen up more in time.

You mean the dust cover? That littler more than for protection in shipping while it gets to you in the box. Those fall apart pretty easily and are not meant for real protection.

msu_1972
326 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 12, 2012 13:10 |  #2096

ben_r_.... i was using my tripod down at the beach the other day, so of course it got sand and salt water inside the leg shaft. once i got home i took all the legs apart to get the sand out and rinse it in fresh water. so my question is, after it dries do i need to apply any type of lube or grease where the screw joins are located? if so then do recommend a particular lube to use for it? thanks for the help.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 12, 2012 13:30 |  #2097

msu_1972 wrote in post #14072651 (external link)
ben_r_.... i was using my tripod down at the beach the other day, so of course it got sand and salt water inside the leg shaft. once i got home i took all the legs apart to get the sand out and rinse it in fresh water. so my question is, after it dries do i need to apply any type of lube or grease where the screw joins are located? if so then do recommend a particular lube to use for it? thanks for the help.

Honestly, I have never had to deal with this as I use my tripod leg protectors (see my sig) whenever my either of my tripods go anywhere near dirt, mud, snow, water, etc. However, seeing as how you are already in the predicament, see this LINK (external link)for all youll ever need to know about Gitzo leg care.

WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 12, 2012 13:33 |  #2098

ben_r_ wrote in post #14072333 (external link)
You mean the dust cover? That littler more than for protection in shipping while it gets to you in the box. Those fall apart pretty easily and are not meant for real protection.

No it's called the Gitzo Photogear, padded with side pocket, fits the traveller tripod with Q3T ballhead attached. Has a shoulder strap, large clip and tabs for straps. Product code is GC1201T.....great case. On the side pocket it has "professional photo essentials Gitzo since 1917"

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 12, 2012 13:39 |  #2099

WA Tiger wrote in post #14072858 (external link)
No it's called the Gitzo Photogear, padded with side pocket, fits the traveller tripod with Q3T ballhead attached. Has a shoulder strap, large clip and tabs for straps. Product code is GC1201T.....great case. On the side pocket it has "professional photo essentials Gitzo since 1917"

Oh that one. Yes I know the one. Sorry, I thought you were referring to the one it ships in. Yea the GC1201T is a bit of a tight fit, but it stretches and its a nice light weight case.

WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 12, 2012 13:51 |  #2100

[QUOTE=ben_r_;14072886​]Oh that one. Yes I know the one. Sorry, I thought you were referring to the one it ships in. Yea the GC1201T is a bit of a tight fit, but it stretches and its a nice light weight case.[/QUOT

Yeah that's it, great size love it...:cool:

sponsored links

670,096 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.