Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 18, 2008 08:47 |  #16

JC4 wrote in post #5934520 (external link)
I warn you. The first few times you have to put those fine Gitzo legs in the mud, it won't be easy.

Oh Im already worrying about that! I know thats gonna hurt! Might find some all weather shoes for it first.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 18, 2008 08:51 |  #17

And then you find out that they shrug it and don't care. I've put my tripods in all sorts of nasty places. They look like new.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 18, 2008 10:01 |  #18

On a side note: Might be personal preference, but I'd attach the camera to the QR the other way around (lever under the lens). Gives you a bit more "chin clearance", and you're able to see the bubble level ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

gool
518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 18, 2008 10:36 |  #19

Great review. I wouldn't hesitate to get a similar setup if I were in the market for a tripod and ballhead.

I know the guy that sent in his Gitzo to get the Q3T made. Now they need to make a Q3T II or something to get all three legs folded in properly.

Thanks for taking the time to do a great write-up. :)

Paul | 7D | 10D
Canon EF 85 f1.8| Tamron 17-50|Canon EF 35-80 (macro)| Tokina 11-16 | 580EX II
5 MDH | Kata 3N1-22 | Billingham 206 Presstop | Horusbennu NEO 1128TT + LX-1T

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 18, 2008 11:50 |  #20

René Damkot wrote in post #5935631 (external link)
On a side note: Might be personal preference, but I'd attach the camera to the QR the other way around (lever under the lens). Gives you a bit more "chin clearance", and you're able to see the bubble level ;)

Okay, thanks for the suggestion, I didnt really like that I couldnt see the bubble level, so that will def help! I do have a hotshoe bubble level, but I can only use that when the hotshoe is empty.

gool wrote in post #5935861 (external link)
Great review. I wouldn't hesitate to get a similar setup if I were in the market for a tripod and ballhead.

I know the guy that sent in his Gitzo to get the Q3T made. Now they need to make a Q3T II or something to get all three legs folded in properly.

Thanks for taking the time to do a great write-up. :)

Yea and Im sure they will someday and when they do ill just sell mine and upgrade :)

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 18, 2008 11:59 |  #21

Excellent review, thanks! I have a 3540LS + Markins M-10L -- at under 5 lbs I think you should start planning for your heavy duty tripod purchase :) The Markins head is a piece of work; one of the best engineered photographic items around.

One thing about the focal length mounted on your rig: it isn't just the weight of the lens, I'm sure you know, the long focal length of the lens magnifies every little vibration that much more. So regardless of the weight of the 300 (f/4 vs f/2.8, let's say) it is the 300mm part that gets you in trouble with the lighter legs.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 18, 2008 12:06 |  #22

TheHoff wrote in post #5936322 (external link)
Excellent review, thanks! I have a 3540LS + Markins M-10L -- at under 5 lbs I think you should start planning for your heavy duty tripod purchase :) The Markins head is a piece of work; one of the best engineered photographic items around.

One thing about the focal length mounted on your rig: it isn't just the weight of the lens, I'm sure you know, the long focal length of the lens magnifies every little vibration that much more. So regardless of the weight of the 300 (f/4 vs f/2.8, let's say) it is the 300mm part that gets you in trouble with the lighter legs.

Yes I tried to emphasize that in the review but without going too far into the physics behind it all.

And yes I am already planning out the heavier duty tripod setup. Im pretty sure that I will be going with a Markins M10 ballhead, but the legs Im still looking into. As I do not intend to ever go any larger than the 100-400L I might try to stay in the Gitzo 2 Series if I can.... I dont know yet, we'll see.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 18, 2008 12:15 |  #23

Gitzo 2 series is way too small for 400mm.

For a two tripod system, you have the uber-light end, go for the Series 3 and make it a M20. There is little difference in weight between the M10 and M20 and I think the M20 fits the Series 3 better and probably has a larger ball (didn't check) so more stable with big glass. 3540LS with M20 is exactly at 5lbs weighed. That rig will damp out 2X the vibration that a Series 2 will.

J

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 18, 2008 12:23 |  #24

And compare the weight / folded size of the 3540LS with any of the two series -- it is actually smaller in length when compacted and only a little heavier. I went with the M-10 since I found a deal on it LNIB and it would be easy to upgrade if I ever get over 300mm.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 18, 2008 12:25 |  #25

The main point, I think, is that if you do two - then you do one for uber light weight and portability (i.e. travel) and one for everything else.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 18, 2008 12:57 |  #26

JohnJ80 wrote in post #5936418 (external link)
Gitzo 2 series is way too small for 400mm.

For a two tripod system, you have the uber-light end, go for the Series 3 and make it a M20. There is little difference in weight between the M10 and M20 and I think the M20 fits the Series 3 better and probably has a larger ball (didn't check) so more stable with big glass. 3540LS with M20 is exactly at 5lbs weighed. That rig will damp out 2X the vibration that a Series 2 will.

J

AH! OF COURSE the 3 series is needed! Well being that a 3 series setup with say a GT3541L and a Markins M20 ballhead with an RRS clamp is going to be a $1300+ setup all to support one lens (my 100-400L) that I mostly use hand held anyway when I do use it. So that setup will be a while for me I think.

alexg
147 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 09, 2008 18:00 |  #27

ben_r_ wrote in post #5932803 (external link)
And here is what the tripod looks like in it's ground level mode. You can see that its literally only inches off the ground.

you can actually probably get much lower if you stick the middle post from the bottom... you can literally have the top of the camera touch the ground that way... or better yet 1mm from it hehehe

7D, 10-22mm, 35 f1.4L, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50mm 1.8

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 09, 2008 18:37 |  #28

ben_r_ wrote in post #5936638 (external link)
AH! OF COURSE the 3 series is needed! Well being that a 3 series setup with say a GT3541L and a Markins M20 ballhead with an RRS clamp is going to be a $1300+ setup all to support one lens (my 100-400L) that I mostly use hand held anyway when I do use it. So that setup will be a while for me I think.

You can get away with it if you only extend 1 of the leg sections and no column - that will require kneeling.

Literally, the Series 2 damps about 1/2 the amplitude of vibration that the Series 3 does. Hence the spec that says max of 200mm on Series 2 and 400mm on Series 3 (also 2X) if my memory is correct on the specs.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,745 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 09, 2008 19:13 |  #29

Absolutely top notch, professional quality review. If you're not writing for magazines, you certainly should be if you desire same.

Great read.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 11, 2008 00:15 |  #30

MDJAK wrote in post #6078092 (external link)
Absolutely top notch, professional quality review. If you're not writing for magazines, you certainly should be if you desire same.

Great read.

HA! Thank you very much! Writing reviews would be a dream job for me!

sponsored links

723,450 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.