Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Jul 2008 (Monday) 20:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sudden Color Cast

Midlife ­ Crisis
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 21, 2008 20:38 |  #1

I use PS 6 (not elements). When I was in PS 6 the image looked fine so I clicked print. In the print screen the image was also fine but when it went to the "print preview" the image had a strong magenta color cast and was slightly overexposed. I printed it and the final print also had the color cast and overexposed.

I thought that perhaps my ink was low so I printed it on my other printer. The image looked fine in the print screen up to the "print preview" and then the same color cast and overexposurer showed up.

The image looks fine on the screen with IView Media Pro and PS up to the "Print Preview" in PS and then it turns south.

Thanks in advance.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 21, 2008 20:47 |  #2

Have you calibrated your display?

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Midlife ­ Crisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 21, 2008 20:55 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #3

Yes it's calibrated. The image looks fine up to the point of print preview and printing it. Then it has the color cast. I didn't change any setting in PS that I have been using and it affects both printers as well.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 21, 2008 21:17 |  #4

You need to calibrate your printer. Printing can be hard, that's why I let my lab do it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 21, 2008 21:38 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #5

Tim, that wouldn't explain the color cast in his preview, would it? It seems to me there's a computer issue, more than something downstream.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 21, 2008 23:18 |  #6

Color cast in the preview is probably caused by the profile loaded - it's probably doing a soft proof. Try and find a better color profile for the printer/paper combination, that might help.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 22, 2008 04:29 |  #7

First off: AFAIK the print preview window in PS6 is not accurate. (I don't think it's color managed).
Tim has a point however: Wrong profile might be used.

Have a read in the link from my sig; some links about soft proofing and printing with .icc profiles.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Midlife ­ Crisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 22, 2008 06:25 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #8

Tim, that wouldn't explain the color cast in his preview, would it? It seems to me there's a computer issue, more than something downstream.[/QUOTE]

I think I agree I agree with Tony-S and it's more of a computer issue/problem. 2 days ago I could have printed any picture and it come out fine but now everything has a color cast to it.

Any more advice??

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 22, 2008 06:49 |  #9

Midlife Crisis wrote in post #5959884 (external link)
Any more advice??

Use a lab!

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 22, 2008 06:55 |  #10

Midlife Crisis wrote in post #5959884 (external link)
2 days ago I could have printed any picture and it come out fine but now everything has a color cast to it.

What changed?

Double check your settings: Click (external link)

tim wrote in post #5959961 (external link)
Use a lab!

If I print on an Epson R2400, it comes out better than the lab delivers :p

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 22, 2008 07:46 |  #11

Wider gamut, yes, but I don't trust ink sprayed onto paper as opposed to proven printing processes. This is probably more important for me than most people, as I do weddings and I want the albums to be good in 200 years.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 22, 2008 08:04 |  #12

Got a point there, however, in that case you should start using Inkjet:

From here (external link)

Fuji Crystal Archive paper is a pretty good standard. It's the paper most used by photo processing labs and has an expected life of 60 years* according to Wilhelm Imaging Research and print-life guru Henry Wilhelm (see sidebar). Compare it with Kodak's Ektacolor Edge 8 has an expected life of around 22 years. Keep in mind that both Fuji Crystal Archive and Kodak Ektacolor Edge 8 are for darkroom and chemical processing only.

Compare that to the results for the Epson 1270/1280 printers using Epson inks and Epson Heavyweight Matte or Epson Color Life Photo paper, which tested to between 24 to 27 years. The Epson pigmented inks used in the 2000P were even more impressive. When used with Epson's Archival Matte, Premium Luster, or Premium Semi-Gloss papers their life expectancy is over 100 years.

:p

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

Midlife ­ Crisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 22, 2008 08:35 |  #13

tim wrote in post #5959961 (external link)
Use a lab!

Thanks for the advice Tim but I have a R2400. LOL

Well...guess what...I printed a test print using Windows instead of PS and it came out just about all fine so the problem lies in my PS color settings. I don't plan on linking to Tim's color info because I already did 6 months ago and saved it on my desktop. I guess I got some more reading to do. Thanks for the links Tim and thanks all.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,905 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 22, 2008 08:42 |  #14

What paper are you using and do you have a printer profile installed for that paper (for the R2400)? Are you letting Photoshop manage the color at printing? (Red boxes in the attached image.)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 22, 2008 18:37 |  #15

René Damkot wrote in post #5960249 (external link)
Got a point there, however, in that case you should start using Inkjet:

From here (external link)

My lab uses Kodak Endura pro, or something like that, which also has the advantage of having "professional image - do not copy" written all over the back in light grey like a watermark. It's rated over 100 years.

sponsored links

1,386 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sudden Color Cast
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.