Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jul 2008 (Wednesday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need some professional help.

iCallisto
77 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 23, 2008 21:46 |  #1

This weekend Iam looking to purchase a new camera.

Thank you.

sponsored links
JCH77Yanks
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 23, 2008 22:06 |  #2

I wouldn't put too much stock into the megapixel count unless you want to make some very large prints. 8mp is fine for just about anything (on a canon sensor), but if you want insist on a 12mp camera at the price you want, then the XSi would be just fine. As far as wanting to take professional quality photos, it's all about lighting and technique. Dumping 8 grand into a 1DsIII won't buy you professional results if you don't have the technique.

Joe Halliday
7D | XT | 10-22 | 24-105 f/4L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 580EXII | 430EXII | 430EX | Flickr (external link)| 500px (external link) |
Dial "M" for Manual.

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 23, 2008 22:18 |  #3

What level of photographer are you? The 1Ds III is a serious piece of kit. Why exactly do you want it? I'm not trying to be pushy or demanding but what specific feature about it made you decide you need it?

As for a 12MP camera undera $1000, your only option is the XSi. I would take the 5D over that an right now you can find it in the $2000 neighborhood and if/when the 5D replacement comes out, the 5D will undoubtedly come down somewhat in price.

iCallisto
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 23, 2008 22:20 as a reply to  @ JCH77Yanks's post |  #4

True and I understand that. Okay so then that pretty much anwsers my question in a way. Im pretty set on the 12mp because size does matter to me... :)

But okay then I've got a second question. Since my camera is just a POS I havent really gotten the chance to play around with lense. Do you or anyone else suggest a good quality lense? I want a macro type and a telephoto type lense too, but Im not sure on what brands and where to look for good prices. I was thinking Bizrate dot com...

JCheungPhoto
Goldmember
1,338 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 23, 2008 22:22 |  #5

1DsMkIII is a seriously huge investment that takes incredible experience and know-how to effectively use. Unless you're making poster sized prints, 8-10mp is very sufficient. You can get some great quality pictures from the 40D.

gear
freewebs.com/jcheungph​otography

"prior planning prevents piss-poor performance"

prime80
Goldmember
2,392 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 23, 2008 22:25 |  #6

A couple of nice macro lenses are:
Canon EF 100 f/2.8 Macro
Sigma EX 150 f/2.8 Macro

For telephoto suggestions, we would need intended budget and what you want to shoot with it.

John
R6, EF 100-400 L IS II, EF 24-70 L II, EF 85 f/1.8
Full Gear List

iCallisto
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 23, 2008 22:26 as a reply to  @ iCallisto's post |  #7

No I dont think you're being pushy. I honestly would love the markIII because of the image size and clarity.

Im a little over entry level, but I'd like to think that I know what I'm doing. I mean I do in a way. I'm not saying that I know everything about photography because I'am learning things everyday.

I'm a freelance photographer and I take alot of pictures of nature and animals. Alot of my dog...

But since my husband is a trucker and since Im going to be going on the road with him, I'd love to take pictures and possibly write a book or a photo book... Im still desiding on what to do...

Plus FPS is something that I'm interested in the markIII. My husband makes short animated films and hes got a new idea of doing a stop motion animation film. We could really use the markIII for that.

And mainly its a personal preference for me. I like big things. lol

liquefied
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 23, 2008 22:31 |  #8

You know how stop-motion animation works right? Fast FPS is just about the last thing you need for that.

iCallisto
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 23, 2008 22:32 |  #9

prime80 wrote in post #5972574 (external link)
A couple of nice macro lenses are:
Canon EF 100 f/2.8 Macro
Sigma EX 150 f/2.8 Macro

For telephoto suggestions, we would need intended budget and what you want to shoot with it.

Thank you for your help! I will check these out.

I know that the MarkIII is a big chunk of money but not to brag or anything like that, but money really isnt an option to us. We are very well set and we've worked hard to be where we are at now so we are going to treat ourselves to something that we each want.

JCheungPhoto- How many MPs is the 40D?

I only ask what is the best because I've seen so many different cameras out on the market right now and I've looked for sometime now and now I'm all confused. I'll look one place and see something I like, then I'll look somewhere else and be like "ooo thats nice" and then I'll look somewhere else again till I cant think straight.

prime80
Goldmember
2,392 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 23, 2008 22:32 |  #10

Are you talking about the 1DsMkIII, or the 1DMkIII?
1DsMkIII - ~$8000, 21MP, 5fps
1DMkIII - ~$4000, 10MP, 10fps

John
R6, EF 100-400 L IS II, EF 24-70 L II, EF 85 f/1.8
Full Gear List

JCH77Yanks
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 23, 2008 22:34 |  #11

Well, I guess if you want to go the 1DsIII route, you won't have to worry about getting "upgrade-itis" for a long time!

Joe Halliday
7D | XT | 10-22 | 24-105 f/4L | 28 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 580EXII | 430EXII | 430EX | Flickr (external link)| 500px (external link) |
Dial "M" for Manual.

iCallisto
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 23, 2008 22:34 as a reply to  @ iCallisto's post |  #12

I personally know nothing about stop motion animation. My husband is all about that field. But I personally think that an 8mp can be used for stop motion, cause I think (I could be wrong) but I think stop motion is mostly about the frames per second...

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 23, 2008 22:34 |  #13

iCallisto wrote in post #5972583 (external link)
No I dont think you're being pushy. I honestly would love the markIII because of the image size and clarity.

Im a little over entry level, but I'd like to think that I know what I'm doing. I mean I do in a way. I'm not saying that I know everything about photography because I'am learning things everyday.

I'm a freelance photographer and I take alot of pictures of nature and animals. Alot of my dog...

But since my husband is a trucker and since Im going to be going on the road with him, I'd love to take pictures and possibly write a book or a photo book... Im still desiding on what to do...

Plus FPS is something that I'm interested in the markIII. My husband makes short animated films and hes got a new idea of doing a stop motion animation film. We could really use the markIII for that.

And mainly its a personal preference for me. I like big things. lol

Are you perhaps mixing up the 1Ds III with the 1D III? The 1D III shoots 10fps vs the 1Ds III's 5 fps. Even the 40D shoots 6.5fps.

iCallisto
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 23, 2008 22:35 as a reply to  @ iCallisto's post |  #14

I'm sorry! I'm talking about the 1Ds MarkIII not the 1D.

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jul 23, 2008 22:35 |  #15

You best get a Canon EF 180 f/3.5 L macro to go with that 1Dsmk3....and certainly at least a 400 f/2.8 L for a telephoto. Any other things you like to shoot?

You might want to wait until October and snag one of these...this will give you better results (external link).

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

sponsored links

9,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need some professional help.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.