Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 05:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting mode for weddings?

totalbeginner
613 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 24, 2008 05:14 |  #1

I have a question...

Some friends of mine are having a very low-budget wedding and have asked me to take some photos. Normally I shoot in Manual mode because once I've metered I don't have to worry about different tones throwing the camera off and affecting the exposure. But at a wedding, when things are happening quite quickly, I'm wondering if it would be safer to shoot in Av and just dial in exposure comp as necessary. My only concern with using Av, is that the camera has control over the S/S and I might not notice if it falls below a value that would preclude hand holding.

I'm by no means a professional and so I've made it quite clear to the B & G that the photos will "be what they are". They said that they were seriously considering not having a photographer and that any photos would be a bonus. I guess that takes off some of the pressure, but it would still be nice to do it reasonably well.

What are your thoughts, I'd be really interested to know!

Thanks very much :grin:

View my gear list HERE
Don't submit to stupid rules, be yourself and not a fool. Don't accept average habits, open your heart and PUSH THE LIMITS!

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 24, 2008 05:22 |  #2

All creative shooting modes are different means to the same end. Do what you're comfortable doing.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Derbyshire ­ Weddings
152 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 24, 2008 05:27 |  #3

If I were you I would shoot in AV, ISO at 400. Any inside shots with flash shoot in M 30-60th second (30th will give you more ambient light, flash will freeze movement at that shutter speed). Shoot at f5.6 or f8. If your system (PC) can handle it shoot in Raw & jpeg to give you some latitude in exposure problems. Just my thoughts on the situation.

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 24, 2008 06:02 |  #4

Shoot in RAW, ignore RAW+jpeg as you'll need all the space you can get on your memory cards!
ISO is an important factor and you shouldn't just stick to 1 ISO value. If you are outside in strong sunlight then ISO 100/200 should be ok but once inside don't be scared of going up to ISO 800/1600. It's better to get a sharp shot with a little noise than a blurred shot with no noise, plus your 5D can handle the high ISO's very well.
If you usually shoot in Manual then stick with it as it really is the best mode to go with.

Here's a couple of links to read:

http://www.ephotozine.​com …edding-Photography-Part-1 (external link)
http://www.ephotozine.​com …edding-Photography-Part-2 (external link)
http://tips.romanzolin​.com …eBagofWeddingPh​otographer (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=464510
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?p=2453681
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=300890

Also, check out other threads with similar titles to this one - there are some listed at the bottom of this page on the left side.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 24, 2008 06:39 |  #5

I agree with Michael. In the church with no flash you'll likely need to use ISO800-ISO1600, if you use a flash you can bump it down to ISO400 (keeping it in manual mode). Outside if it's a sunny day IS0400 may be be too high at a fast aperture, you might use IS0100-200. It's all common sense really.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 24, 2008 08:07 as a reply to  @ DStanic's post |  #6

See my posts at https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=541634

PhotosGuy
75,804 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 24, 2008 09:05 |  #7

I always use RAW & M & can change the settings in about 2 seconds if I need to.
BUT, I'll put similar settings in Tv & Av just in case (1) something happens really fast or (2) I accidentally bump the dial.

This might speed up calculating exposure: Need an exposure crutch?

And this: See post #3
Tips for Xmas Ball Please

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

1,454 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting mode for weddings?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.