Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Jul 2008 (Friday) 01:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sunpak 383 - Back Ordered Status... again

Warrenism
820 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 25, 2008 01:15 |  #1

I've been checking BH for the Sunpak 383 quite religiously and much to my dismay, they are in back-ordered status.... AGAIN. Only yesterday they were in "Arrival - Approx July".

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …383_Super_Auto_​Flash.html (external link)

Did i miss the boat?

[DSLR-less | 10-22 | 24-70L f2.8 | 70-200L f2.8 IS | 24-105L f4 | 50 f1.4 ]
Flickr (external link) | Warrenism: Blog Rantings (external link)

sponsored links
Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Jul 25, 2008 04:17 |  #2

Not AFAIK! The Vivitars are looking better and better... :(

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

SnlpeR
Goldmember
1,013 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 25, 2008 06:10 as a reply to  @ Rudi's post |  #3

i noticed that too
i was gonna order one since i think i blew out my 540ez
ugh

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Jul 25, 2008 06:19 |  #4

If I was looking for a flash now, I'd just get the Vivitar 285HV. I mean, the only difference is that you have to pay $6 more for the cable for each flash - big deal! (I have Skyports). The only thing is, if I have to get more flashes down the track, I will have different brands and as a result different controls. Who knows, I might just sell my Sunpaks and get all Vivitars (if it comes down to it)?

Warrenism
THREAD ­ STARTER
820 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 25, 2008 20:22 as a reply to  @ Rudi's post |  #5

Rudi, it looks more and more like the Vivitar will have to get my money esp since i really want to get into the 2 strobe setups to fool around with.

[DSLR-less | 10-22 | 24-70L f2.8 | 70-200L f2.8 IS | 24-105L f4 | 50 f1.4 ]
Flickr (external link) | Warrenism: Blog Rantings (external link)

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Jul 25, 2008 20:29 |  #6

Yep, the only slight drawback is having to pay a few bucks more for the cable if you use Skyports. Not a big deal, IMO. I love my Sunpaks, but I bought them when the new Vivitars were blowing up in people's faces... that problem was apparently limited to a particular batch and has since been rectified. If I wanted a couple of flashes today, Vivitar would get my money. I mean, we really have no idea if and when there will be more stock of the Sunpak...

azpix
Goldmember
3,335 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 26, 2008 01:06 |  #7

I've had both and there is a big difference in quality and consistency. I you can hold out for the sunpacks, I'd wait. the i found the vivitars very obnoxious.

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Jul 26, 2008 01:11 |  #8

Are the new Vivitars really that bad? In the "old days", the 285 was a highly-regarded flash...

SolidxSnake
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 26, 2008 01:16 |  #9

I love my 283, thing is a tank. It is also over 20 years old at the very minimum.

That said, with a little surgery, it's easy to change the sync port on the 283/285 from the proprietary vivitar to a standard 1/8" jack... I've done it on my 283.

Troubleshooting 101 (see also: LightRules,perryge):
1) RTFM.
2) Repeat Step 1.

Gear ~ DeviantART (external link) ~ My Heatware (external link)

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Jul 27, 2008 01:15 |  #10

Warrenism wrote in post #5985602 (external link)
Rudi, it looks more and more like the Vivitar will have to get my money esp since i really want to get into the 2 strobe setups to fool around with.

Warren,

If all goes according to plan, in about a week or two you might be able to talk me into parting with my Sunpak 383's (I have two of them, less that two months old). Send me an email (from my website) if you'd be interested. For some reason my PM didn't get through to you, so I'm hoping you're watching this thread (and my apologies to others here).

They both come with cables that have been spliced and soldered (by myself) to fit the Skyports. Here's a shot of the two of them, when testing the Skyport connection:

IMAGE: http://rudiphoto.zenfolio.com/img/v0/p654779261.jpg

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 27, 2008 01:26 |  #11

Rudi wrote in post #5991886 (external link)
Warren,

If all goes according to plan, in about a week or two you might be able to talk me into parting with my Sunpak 383's (I have two of them, less that two months old). Send me an email (from my website) if you'd be interested. For some reason my PM didn't get through to you, so I'm hoping you're watching this thread (and my apologies to others here).

They both come with cables that have been spliced and soldered (by myself) to fit the Skyports. Here's a shot of the two of them, when testing the Skyport connection:

Hmm, whats the plan? Just curious.

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

azpix
Goldmember
3,335 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 27, 2008 01:34 |  #12

Rudi wrote in post #5991886 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

rudi,

what kind of shoe/ umbrella bracket do you have there?

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Jul 27, 2008 01:36 |  #13

doidinho wrote in post #5991923 (external link)
Hmm, whats the plan? Just curious.

I hope I won't jinx the deal, but... a good friend of mine is giving me six SB-26's at pre-Strobist prices. The catch is, I have to get all six! (I can hear eBay calling for the two that I don't want :D). And since he is a good friend, I informed him that he could get much better prices on eBay, but he doesn't want the hassle. So, I'm pretty sure this will happen. :)

I could just keep them since I only got them a couple of months ago, and get only two SB-26's, but meh... I don't want different controls! (If only I knew that selling my other 580EX would start this chain reaction, I might have just kept it! :D).

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Jul 27, 2008 01:40 |  #14

azpix wrote in post #5991949 (external link)
rudi,

what kind of shoe/ umbrella bracket do you have there?

The shoe is the Manfrotto 143S Flash Shoe for Magic Arm: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Go.x=16&Go.y=17​&Go=submit (external link)

and the umbrella bracket is the Manfrotto 026 Swivel Umbrella Adapter (Lite-Tite): http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …vel_Umbrella_Ad​apter.html (external link)

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 27, 2008 10:13 |  #15

Rudi wrote in post #5991960 (external link)
I hope I won't jinx the deal, but... a good friend of mine is giving me six SB-26's at pre-Strobist prices. The catch is, I have to get all six! (I can hear eBay calling for the two that I don't want :D). And since he is a good friend, I informed him that he could get much better prices on eBay, but he doesn't want the hassle. So, I'm pretty sure this will happen. :)

I could just keep them since I only got them a couple of months ago, and get only two SB-26's, but meh... I don't want different controls! (If only I knew that selling my other 580EX would start this chain reaction, I might have just kept it! :D).

Nice, six flash units should really get your creative juices flowing.

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

sponsored links

5,815 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sunpak 383 - Back Ordered Status... again
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.