Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 26 Jul 2008 (Saturday) 18:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

17-85 IS USM Autofocus issues

tubawxman
59 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 26, 2008 18:55 |  #1

I just returned from a few days vacation and intended on practicing what I've learned from these forums. Well, nothing kills that faster than a primary lens that doesn't want to work properly (and horrible lighting conditions). I have the 17-85 IS USM as my primary walkround lens. When I tried to use it the past few days, the autofocus would basically fail to work towards the longer end of the lens. At ~85mm, the autofocus would 'hunt' and never settle on something to focus on. The mid-focal range would focus, but the results were terrible. At the wide end of the lens, the autofocus seemed to be working fine. I thought at first that it might be the horrible overcast I was trying to shoot in, but I tested the lens again the next day under more ideal conditions with the same results. Here are a few examples.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Byte size: ZERO

This was at 56mm with autofocus. Exif should be intact.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Also at 56mm, but with manual focus. Still not perfect, but I need the dioptic eyepiece or to wear my contacts on a more regular basis.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

68mm with autofocus.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

24mm with autofocus and looks fine.

So aside from the obvious lighting issues, does there appear to be an actual problem with the lens? I purchased the lens from a member here back in May and haven't really had any problems with it until now. The lens has not been dropped or abused by me in any way. I need to also note that the autofocus issue occurs with the IS on and off. Thanks!

Bryan
6D MkII | EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L USM

jdando
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 30, 2008 08:30 |  #2

Hi Bryan;

The shots are looking pretty soft, out of focus to me. I could not read the EXIF, can you post it up? That will go a long way to diagnosing the issue.

Jeremy
Chimping away in MN

tubawxman
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 07, 2008 15:43 |  #3

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the reply. I was able to get a hold of the reciept for the lens and discovered I had about 5 days left on the warranty! I quickly sent it in and just received it back today. Canon found that the AF was not working correctly and replaced the 'lens assembly,' along with 'other electrical adjustments, inspection and cleaning.' I'm working until Sunday, so I'll try to go out and take a few sample shots then to see if things are working better.

Bryan

engrmariano
793 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 07, 2008 15:52 |  #4

tubawxman wrote in post #6065717 (external link)
Hi Jeremy, thanks for the reply. I was able to get a hold of the reciept for the lens and discovered I had about 5 days left on the warranty! I quickly sent it in and just received it back today. Canon found that the AF was not working correctly and replaced the 'lens assembly,' along with 'other electrical adjustments, inspection and cleaning.' I'm working until Sunday, so I'll try to go out and take a few sample shots then to see if things are working better.

one good thing about buying brand new. warranty!:D;)

The Filipino is worth dying for -> Ninoy (Nov. 27, '32 - Aug. 21, '83)
I'm ready to defend the 3 stars & the sun -> Francis M. (Oct 4, '64 – Mar 6, '09)

fLickr (external link)
geavity (external link)

tubawxman
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 07, 2008 17:39 as a reply to  @ engrmariano's post |  #5

Actually, I didn't buy it new. I got it from another member here. He was able to find the receipt and provide me with a copy of it. I am so happy I found this forum! None of my lenses have been purchased new thus far, but I have a new nifty that should be arriving tomorrow!

Bryan

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

1,499 views & 0 likes for this thread, 3 members have posted to it.
17-85 IS USM Autofocus issues
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.