Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Jul 2008 (Tuesday) 00:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anybody Here Work for Lifetouch?

Rick ­ Anderson
546 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 29, 2008 00:11 |  #1

I just started their training program today and I'm VERY excited about it. The people there are sooooooo nice! Does anybody else here work - or did you work - for them?

sponsored links
Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 29, 2008 05:35 |  #2

I don't work for them but in my area they have lost a lot of schools to local photographers. I also think that they have closed offices/labs.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

cecilc
588 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jul 29, 2008 06:23 |  #3

Rick Anderson wrote in post #6004547 (external link)
Does anybody else here work - or did you work - for them?

As with Mike, I don't work for them, either ...

LifeTouch does not enjoy a good reputation around my area's schools - the local outfits, too, have lost some school contracts to other photography companies. Mainly because the parents just plain out do not like the product that LifeTouch delivers around here. I talk to a lot of parents - and I've never heard one of them say anything nice about LifeTouch.

I also run into many LifeTouch photographers on the sidelines of high school football games and courtside at high school basketball games .... All are nice and most know what's going on .... But several times I have physically taken a camera from one of their shooters (at their request, mind you!) to change settings on their camera that they don't know how to change!

My opinion is this: If you're representing yourself as a photographer for a photography company and you're on an assignment for this photography company and you don't know how to operate your camera, then you shouldn't be there! In my opinion this is a major reason why LifeTouch's reputation here is tarnished - they have people on the sidelines shooting games and providing images to the schools and some of these people are (shockingly!) clueless ....

Cecil
SportsShooter Portfolio (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,474 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jul 29, 2008 06:52 |  #4

My only contact (at least in recent years) with LifeTouch has been their production of our church pictorial directory.

I was not impressed in the least with the quality of the family portraits they did. The lighting setup was never moved for any subjects. The photographer's skill level related to posing was horrible.

In my opinion, the skill level required of their photographers is on a par with the portrait mill photographers you see at Wal-Mart from time to time. A trained monkey could do the work about as well as their "production" photographers.

I took many of the group photos for the church book. When I wanted to find out what sort of photo file specs (types of files, resolution, aspect ratios, etc.) the company neeed, I contacted the local representative of the company and was shocked at how little he knew. Even calling the home office of the operation got very little information for me to work with. I got the impression that very few people within the company have any real knowledge of digital photography.

I don't see working as a photographer for a company like LifeTouch as being even remotely challenging or an opportunity to learn much at all about photography.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 29, 2008 08:38 |  #5

SkipD wrote in post #6005766 (external link)
I don't see working as a photographer for a company like LifeTouch as being even remotely challenging or an opportunity to learn much at all about photography.

Hmmm, why don't you tell us how you really feel.... :confused:

Rick, congrats on your new job. As with any job, you get out what you put in. I'm sure that as with any job, there are people that just do the bare minimum to get the job done and don't really care about learning or improving.

I think that you can take this opportunity to learn about posing, lighting, composition even if its beyond what your job requires or what they expect you to know.

Good luck!

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

JubeJube
115 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 29, 2008 16:24 |  #6

I curently work for Lifetouch. I like it alot, my Area Manger is great and it depends alot on that as well! I oringally got the job to learn more about lighting (which I have a great deal!!) Yes alot of the ppl we hire are anybody that are good with children and don't mind driving alot (can drive up to 4 hrs in a day in our area). There is two weeks of training. Our cameras for school photography (fall and spring pics) is fixed (custom made Nikons based on their current line up right now we are using D2x and D300) it is fixed on 125th and f11. Our area doesn't do enviromentals for Seniors (our seniors are done in the winter), but from the training that I have had from head office in Seniors is that when you do them (enviromental) you can change the settings. For fall and spring pictures we only have certain poses we can do (depending on the program the school is offered) and the seniors it all depends on the area.
For our seniors we are free to move the lights around and we have 3 poses we have to do. Two are the standard yearbook pose and one over the shoulder pose, then we have to have a 'landscape' pose (any pose we want) and have to use at least 4 different backgrounds, one extreme close up and one using the table. This is what my boss requires us to do and it will depend on your own boss!

I know nothing of the church directories as we don't have on in our area!

All in all Lifetouch is a good company to work for, and it depends on what your area is doing!!

Rick ­ Anderson
THREAD ­ STARTER
546 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 29, 2008 17:47 as a reply to  @ JubeJube's post |  #7

Thanks for the replies everybody. I just finished my second day of training (2 week training program) and I’m very happy because I am finally doing the type of work I want and I couldn’t ask for a more friendly group of people to work with!

dekalbSTEEL
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 29, 2008 19:04 |  #8

JubeJube wrote in post #6008589 (external link)
Our cameras for school photography (fall and spring pics) is fixed (custom made Nikons based on their current line up right now we are using D2x and D300) it is fixed on 125th and f11.

What do they do, superglue the dials?:lol::lol:

Grippy 30D, Tokina 300f4, Sigma 18-50f2.8, Canon 70-200f4L, thrifty50mkI, PM7500DX
Jon Gee Photography.com (external link)

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,357 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 29, 2008 23:33 |  #9

dekalbSTEEL wrote in post #6009393 (external link)
What do they do, superglue the dials?:lol::lol:

They're Noinks, they come pre-broken from the factory. :lol:

JubeJube
115 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 30, 2008 06:00 |  #10

mbellot wrote in post #6010971 (external link)
They're Noinks, they come pre-broken from the factory. :lol:

Lol... accutally yes they do super glue them.. well sauter them! The ones we used last year (we call them LD1 based on the D100's) were sautered where you would change the settings and the screen on the back was covered. The ones we are using this year (LD2's aka D2x) there is a large attatchment on the back that is covering all the spots to make adjustments that is detatchable for doing the enviromentals for seniors.

I'll take a picture one day to show you them.

cecilc
588 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jul 30, 2008 09:58 |  #11

JubeJube wrote in post #6012140 (external link)
... there is a large attatchment on the back that is covering all the spots to make adjustments that is detatchable for doing the enviromentals for seniors.
I'll take a picture one day to show you them.

Kinda takes "creative" out of the equation, doesn't it ? I would like to see that set-up ....

Cecil
SportsShooter Portfolio (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 30, 2008 20:51 |  #12

I have LifeTouch here in our area and they do a decent job, just wish they didn't charge so much.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

JX
508 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jul 30, 2008 22:57 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #13

I would stay with them for about a year. Then find a real studio to work for. You will get good practice on how to deal with kids, and learn a little a few generic poses. Working for them will be a good starting point. Unfortunately, you will not learn much about portrait photography. They do assembly line portrait work. They have their system down to a science, no guesswork. You will have 20 to 45 seconds to pose, shoot, and then more on to the next child.

Schools love them because they are fast. A team of photographers can do an entire high school of about 1000 students in 4 to 6 hours.

The most important skill that you will walk away with is learning how to work with kids and make them feel comfortable in front of a camera. However, as I stated you will not learn much about photography.

JX

Rick ­ Anderson
THREAD ­ STARTER
546 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 12, 2018 18:30 |  #14

I just found this thread from 10 years ago. I ended up working for them for a few months but, as some people stated above, there was no room for creativity. We set up and did production-line shots for schools. Same settings, same lighting, same pose, etc. All I really learned is that I hate children.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,710 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 12, 2018 20:15 |  #15

Rick Anderson wrote in post #18605617 (external link)
I just found this thread from 10 years ago. I ended up working for them for a few months but, as some people stated above, there was no room for creativity. We set up and did production-line shots for schools. Same settings, same lighting, same pose, etc. All I really learned is that I hate children.

At least you learned it in a studio, where they go home with their parents. I didn't find that out until I had my own.

Tom

sponsored links

7,857 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anybody Here Work for Lifetouch?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.